Maegor Targaryen was the rightful Heir !

Well I am not talking about Maegor the Cruel , but Prince Maegor Targaryen son of Aerion and Daenora. Maegor was one of the claimants in the Great Council of 233 AC. As we all know his uncle Aegon V ( that we all love ) became King. Like it or not Maegor was the true heir and I Hate the fact that we don't know anything else about him. If he would become king the targaryen dynasty could still rule since Aerys would not become king.

What do you guys think ?

• 2 weeks later...

He'll be an interesting figure during Aegon V's reign. Not only his father was elder than Egg, but also his mother was the only daughter of king Aerys I.

Given that Egg wasn't particularly well-liked amongst the nobles, Maegor would be an obvious rallying point for all the malcontents. One also wonders if his name wasn't openly suggested as Prince of Dragonstone when Aegon's three sons broke their marriage alliances. It's even possible that during his "short, bloody rebellion" Lyonel Baratheon tried to crown Maegor.

On 1/28/2023 at 8:59 PM, King Jaehaerys II said:

Well I am not talking about Maegor the Cruel , but Prince Maegor Targaryen son of Aerion and Daenora. Maegor was one of the claimants in the Great Council of 233 AC. As we all know his uncle Aegon V ( that we all love ) became King. Like it or not Maegor was the true heir and I Hate the fact that we don't know anything else about him. If he would become king the targaryen dynasty could still rule since Aerys would not become king.

What do you guys think ?

But... Maegor the Cruel was the rightful heir too, his cousin being a bastard of a singer.

• 9 months later...

Yeah I like Aegon  V  but I still think Maegor was the rightful heir. They could of chosen Brynden Rivers to be his regent and I know Bryden would of loved to be in power for another 14-16 years. Also in his childhood his mother could of taught him to be kind but I don't think that would help the Targaryen Madness, Future Robert wouldn't have a claim to the throne and he could of married Vaella (Son of Daeron)

• 1 month later...

I am convinced the more recent batch of Daynes were of Targaryen descent. Maegor is the top contender in a fairly small list for who in the Targaryen family Ashara, Arthur, Ned, and/or Darkstar might have descended from.

Key Dates:

Maegor was born in 232. His grandmother was Dyanna Dayne.
Aerion, Maegor's father, died in 232. Baby Maegor might not have kept his name for long after his father died, offensive as it was.
Aegon V was chosen king in 233.
We do not know when Maegor's mother Daenora died. However if she was alive in 233 then it was Aegon V who chose if and who his cousin remarried. Remarriage into the King's mother's family would make sense as it would help secure Daenora's and Maegor's allegiance. Maegor would therefore have grown up as a Dayne. Once grown, Maegor, possibly with a different name now, was, I speculate, either married to the heiress of High Hermitage,or was granted the seat himself.

The Tragedy at Summerhall took place in 259. Maegor would have been 27 years old. It is possible that Maegor died at Summerhall, but even if he did, he was old enough to have had several children by then. Gerold Dayne (Darkstar) looks quite a bit like him and was born in 270-4. That is at least 11 years after Summerhall and at least 22 years after a child of Maegor's would have been old enough to marry and have children (by Westeros standards). GD is likely either the son, or the grandson of Maegor.

If GD is the son of Maegor and not the grandson, then I would speculate that House Dayne of Starfall also had Targaryen blood from elsewhere, earlier. This likely occurred because of the attempts by Kings Baelor, Daeron II and Aerys I to knit Dorne into the 7 Kingdoms. If I had to guess, I would say that Rhaena (Targaryen) Hightower was the earlier source of Targ blood in House Dayne or, failing that, a second or third child of Daenaerys (Targaryen) Martell.

On 12/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, Hippocras said:

I am convinced the more recent batch of Daynes were of Targaryen descent. Maegor is the top contender in a fairly small list for who in the Targaryen family Ashara, Arthur, Ned, and/or Darkstar might have descended from.

Key Dates:

Maegor was born in 232. His grandmother was Dyanna Dayne.
Aerion, Maegor's father, died in 232. Baby Maegor might not have kept his name for long after his father died, offensive as it was.
Aegon V was chosen king in 233.
We do not know when Maegor's mother Daenora died. However if she was alive in 233 then it was Aegon V who chose if and who his cousin remarried. Remarriage into the King's mother's family would make sense as it would help secure Daenora's and Maegor's allegiance. Maegor would therefore have grown up as a Dayne. Once grown, Maegor, possibly with a different name now, was, I speculate, either married to the heiress of High Hermitage,or was granted the seat himself.

The Tragedy at Summerhall took place in 259. Maegor would have been 27 years old. It is possible that Maegor died at Summerhall, but even if he did, he was old enough to have had several children by then. Gerold Dayne (Darkstar) looks quite a bit like him and was born in 270-4. That is at least 11 years after Summerhall and at least 22 years after a child of Maegor's would have been old enough to marry and have children (by Westeros standards). GD is likely either the son, or the grandson of Maegor.

If GD is the son of Maegor and not the grandson, then I would speculate that House Dayne of Starfall also had Targaryen blood from elsewhere, earlier. This likely occurred because of the attempts by Kings Baelor, Daeron II and Aerys I to knit Dorne into the 7 Kingdoms. If I had to guess, I would say that Rhaena (Targaryen) Hightower was the earlier source of Targ blood in House Dayne or, failing that, a second or third child of Daenaerys (Targaryen) Martell.

I’m pretty sure GRRM confirmed the Daynes did not get their eyes from the Targaryens 

19 hours ago, Maegor_the_Cool said:

I’m pretty sure GRRM confirmed the Daynes did not get their eyes from the Targaryens 

No, he said “not necessarily” of Valyrian descent, to avoid having to answer question for things not yet fully worked out. 

A single family does not keep a trait over 5000 years without it being reinforced by new genes carrying that trait. They had at least one Targaryen ancestry bride and mother. The only other way for them to have purple eyes, still, is for them to only marry each other.

There are plenty of loose ends in the female line of House Targaren. And House Targaryen, while having Valyrian ancestry, is no longer Valyrian nor were they when a daughter or granddaughter of House Targaryen became Lady Dayne. They have been Westerosi for 400 years.

House Dayne may very well descend from one of Rhaena (née Targaryen) Hightower's 6 daughters via attempts to weave Dorne into the 7 Kingdoms. They might also have had a Martell mother at some point who descended from Daenerys Martell. As very powerful Martell bannermen it is not an unlikely match. Finally there is Daenora as suggested above.

But one thing I am even more sure of is that Gerold Dayne is either the son or grandson of Maegor who was passes over in favour of Aegon V.

Edited by Hippocras

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 5:52 PM, Lady Isis said:

Umm… has anyone looked at his page on ASOIAF wikipage lately? There is a picture now on there and there seems to be a resemblance to another character in the current series.

Darkstar, you mean?

That is interesting, although I'm not sure where the information about Maegor's hair has come from. I've googled and another wiki has shown up, but it doesn't cite any sources and appears to be fanfic. Maybe there's a SSM that hasn't been linked to the wiki, though.

4 hours ago, Alester Florent said:

Darkstar, you mean?

That is interesting, although I'm not sure where the information about Maegor's hair has come from. I've googled and another wiki has shown up, but it doesn't cite any sources and appears to be fanfic. Maybe there's a SSM that hasn't been linked to the wiki, though.

It's artistic licence for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think ?

Edited by anarsistpanda

What do you guys think ?

Maegor was clearly the rightful heir. His father was the king's second son and his mother was the daughter of the previous heir prince. Succession and constitutional rights belonged entirely to him.