I find a sort of dark humor in the Red Wedding

Lady Stonehearts Simp

In how the Freys, even with the element of surprise from violating guest right, and the fact the northerners were unarmed, had such trouble killing and subduing them. It’s quite amusing. Maybe if they were all armed and armored they could’ve actually won’t the fight in the main room and held Walder hostage 

To be fair even unarmed they are all still fit trained warriors in an enclosed space ,access to  cuttlery and other standard barroom brawl weapons  (seats, drinking containers, tables , plates )and there was a desire to take many hostage.

The freys couldnt send in extra men as they needed every available man to join the attack on the drunken unprepared noethern forces outside plus they were pretty tightly confined for space in there anyway.

I find it a little complex to pull apart at work right now (month end tomorrow and I'm f*cking the dog online, tsk, tsk), but I wonder if the Frey deaths at the RW might not have been entirely accidental.  Where were Benfrey and Tytos Frey in the succession, specifically related to Black Walder? Is it possible that they were put in peril's way intentionally? Tytos outside getting it from the Hound would have been hard to contrive, but Benfrey maybe not so much. Just a thought. I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy arguing against Frey incompetence without cause.

On 1/30/2023 at 5:35 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I find it a little complex to pull apart at work right now (month end tomorrow and I'm f*cking the dog online, tsk, tsk), but I wonder if the Frey deaths at the RW might not have been entirely accidental.  Where were Benfrey and Tytos Frey in the succession, specifically related to Black Walder? Is it possible that they were put in peril's way intentionally? Tytos outside getting it from the Hound would have been hard to contrive, but Benfrey maybe not so much. Just a thought. I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy arguing against Frey incompetence without cause.

They're a long way down from Black Walder. 

At the time of the RW, and if we assume agnatic succession, Black Walder is third in line, after his father Ryman and his brother Edwyn. Tytos would be around 17th in line, and Benfrey somewhere around 45th.

If succession via daughters is permitted, then Black Walder is fourth (behind Walda) and the other two are much further down. 

Archived