US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

Here is a CNN article about the object shot down over Alaska on Friday.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/unidentified-object-alaska-military-latest/index.html

US military pilots sent up to examine the object gave conflicting accounts of what they saw, which is part of the reason why the Pentagon has been cautious in describing what the object actually is, according to a source briefed on the intelligence.

The incident marked the second time that US jets had taken down an object in less than a week, following the shooting down of a suspected Chinese spy balloon off the coast of South Carolina last week.

The object taken down Friday, which officials have not characterized as a balloon, was shot down at 1:45 p.m. EST, according to Pentagon spokesman Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, who said recovery teams are now collecting the debris that is sitting on top of ice in US territorial waters.

F-35 fighter jets were sent up to investigate after the object was first detected on Thursday, according to a US official. Kirby told reporters that the first fly-by of US fighter aircraft happened Thursday night, and the second happened Friday morning. Both brought back “limited” information about the object.

But the pilots later gave differing reports of what they observed, the source briefed on the intelligence said.

Some pilots said the object “interfered with their sensors” on the planes, but not all pilots reported experiencing that.

Some pilots also claimed to have seen no identifiable propulsion on the object, and could not explain how it was staying in the air, despite the object cruising at an altitude of 40,000 feet.

The conflicting eyewitness accounts are partly why the Pentagon has been unable to fully explain what the object is, the source briefed on the matter said.

In a statement Saturday, US Northern Command said the command has no new information to share about the object’s “capabilities, purpose or origin,” but noted that recovery efforts are being affected by Arctic weather conditions, “including wind chill, snow and limited daylight.”

It’s unclear what the object looks like, or where it came from. On Friday, Ryder said it was traveling north east across Alaska. He declined to provide a physical characterization, only saying that it was “about the size of a small car” and “not similar in size or shape” to the Chinese surveillance balloon that was downed off the coast of South Carolina on February 4.

Curiouser and curiouser. I wish they had some exact quotes from the pilots. I was mildly curious before but with all of these vague statements I REALLY want some visuals of these objects.

In a short span of time, we've had the Chinese spy balloon, the size of two buses at 60,000 feet. We've had the Chinese lasers over Hawaii presumably from a CCP satellite. Friday we've had another airspace incursion at 40,000 feet and shot down over the Alaska ice. Today another such object was shot down by U.S. forces over Canada. And currently the airspace over the state of Montana has been closed to civilian traffic.

How'd you like to me part of the asset salvage team sent to pick up the debris scattered over the Alaskan sea ice?

Montana civilian airspace has now been reopened.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-faa-closes-some-airspace-montana-defense-department-activities-2023-02-12/

WASHINGTON, Feb 11 (Reuters) - The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said late Saturday it had reopened some airspace in Montana after it was briefly closed for undisclosed Defense Department activities.

The FAA had issued a notice temporarily barring flights in an area about 50 by 50 nautical miles around Havre, Montana, near the Canadian border and classifying the area as "national defense airspace."

The FAA said just before 8:30 p.m. ET the airspace had been reopened.

The FAA declined to say whether the directive was related to another suspected balloon or object. The FAA issued similar actions in response to a suspected Chinese spy balloon that crossed the continental United States from Montana to South Carolina and was shot down earlier this month.

Dearth of information on why it was closed in the first place.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

...And he's far better off to deal with these matters than most people, both financially and organizationally.

This is really the crux of the matter.

I say without humility that my career experience has given me the complete toolset for dealing with bureaucracy, paperwork, and administrivia.

Yet I can say without fear of contradiction that nothing in my life has been more frustrating than wrestling with healthcare insurance as an individual.  And I say that as someone who regularly interacts with girls in their early teens during basketball practices.  Middle school girls are far more reasonable to deal with than insurance companies.

I would rather cut, stack and hang tobacco than deal with health insurance.

I cannot vouch for this twitter account since I never saw it until today but it appears to be following the "UFO" incursions happening in the last few days/hours. One thing I find frustrating about the Breaking News twitter channels is that they will often breathlessly report Breaking News!!!! but then fail to provide a link to the news article or the press release. In the next few days we'll see how accurate it is.

So what NORAD is reported to be saying to everyone else is different from what is has told Rep. Rosendale. Hope there will be some clarification forthcoming but I doubt it.

Won't hold my breath on transparency.

Hard to see why they are being so opaque if this is just a balloon. Everyone saw the massive Chinese spy balloon. The one over Alaska was much smaller and I'd assume it would have far fewer capabilities since it couldn't carry as much, being the size of a small car. 

4 hours ago, Parsons said:

Just to answer my own question I found this CNN update

So Canada ordered the object shot down but it was a US fighter that did it. Recovery operations are underway.

So NORAD functioned as they're supposed to. Great.

14 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Guys, we know it's not aliens. *But!* If it ever is aliens, it'll probably be like this! (yes I had that X Files poster in my college dorm room in the 90s).

It's not yet time to form a V style resistance movement, but might be a good idea to create a stock of Twinkies and powdered Gatorade.

I went to the funeral for a friend who is a Rabbi at a Synagogue a quarter mile from my house.  The Synagogue had two heavily armed off duty sheriff’s deputies guarding the sanctuary.

I understand why… and I’m ashamed that is where we are as a nation and a community.  Rabbi Marc Wilson spent his life working to bring people of different faiths together.  I’m saddened that there were armed guards at his funeral:

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/legacyremembers/rabbi-marc-wilson-obituary?id=42991394

15 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'm afraid I have to push back on that comment. Even though I would be in favor of the Wyoming bill, I do not see how being against it is "degeneracy."  

Why is people who are sexually mature getting married "degenerate", even if in modern culture it is unwise? Sometimes I think people assume most marriages where the parties are under 18 would be somehow coereced or "arranged." I don't think that's the case at all.

If anyone looks at their own geneaology they are bound to find examples of marriages that happened before one or both parties were 18 and which were not coerced. My own mother was one of seven sisters (#5). She was the oldest when she married, and she was 22, which would be young today. Sister #3 was 14 when she was first married. She married a guy who was 19 and it was at her own insistence. She told my grandparents that if they did NOT sign for her to legally marry (this was West Virginia in 1931) that she would run off and live with him. Yes, my aunt would be 105 if she were living today so I suppose that seems like ancient history to young people, but I really don't see that her running off an living with this guy out of wedlock would have been a better outcome (and knowing her personality, her threat to do that would likely have materialized.)

Yes, that marriage was a horrible idea; she was divorced when she was 16. But mother's sister #2 was 17 shen she married, and had one of the two best marriages (along with my own parents') among the seven sisters, having a faithful equal partnership for 70 years until her husband died. There was nothing "degenerate" about their relationship. 

It seems paradoxical to me that as the average age of puberty has declined, modern culture seems to want to define people who are physically sexually mature as being just "children" until age 18. Sexual and romantic feelings don't suddenly turn from "degenerate" into "healthy" just because you pass age 18, and there must be a better way to explain to teenagers why it would be better for them to wait before committing to a marriage relationship than calling such relationships "degenerate."

16 hours ago, Parsons said:

Hard to see why they are being so opaque if this is just a balloon.

Presumably because they're pretty sure, but if they turn out to be wrong they'll be accused of lying. 

Also possibly because if it is a balloon and they say so, people will assume it was a nefarious baloon, because if they shot it down it must be bad, and there'll be even more of a stupid panic about every fucking balloon that hits the sky. 

FAA Briefly Closes Lake Michigan Airspace

https://www.tmz.com/2023/02/12/faa-temporarily-closes-airspace-lake-michigan-ufos/

The FAA temporarily closed down airspace over parts of Lake Michigan — just the latest aviation closure amid reports of UFOs being shot down.

The order was given Sunday, with the FAA shutting down access to the skies … saying it is now being used for national defense purposes. The specific area that was locked down roughly encompassed the water between Green Bay and Traverse City, give or take.

The government isn’t saying why they closed that airspace -- other than to vaguely cite NORAD operations -- but in any case … they’ve now lifted restrictions — essentially saying everything can go back to normal again, without a proper explanation.

Further confirmation from another congresswoman:

Still no visuals from the Alaska and Canada objects that were shot down. They were in sparely populated areas so there was no private parties to get footage. The Great lakes region has lots of people in and around it. I hope some private citizens at least got some footage that they'll post or give to a news agency for them to post.

More on the Lake Huron Object:

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/high-altitude-object-shot-down-over-lake-huron/WICOIUB7HFB3HKJVAN3LGWUJ2I/

According to the Times, the Pentagon used an F-16 fighter but took down the object with a Sidewinder air-to-air missile. That was the same weapon used on the other three objects that have been shot down this month. The Wall Street Journal, citing a congressional aide, reported that the item was shaped like an octagon and was at an altitude of 20,000 feet. That would pose a hazard to commercial aircraft travel.

3 hours ago, Ormond said:

you pass age 18, and there must be a better way to explain to teenagers why it would be better for them to wait before committing to a marriage relationship than calling such relationships "degenerate."

I'll be honest in say I've little moral repugamce with your aunt’s second marriage, a 16 year old marrying a 17 year old

The moral trepidation comes with scenarios like her first marriage—a marriage between a 14 year old girl shacking up with 19 year old Man. 

5 hours ago, Ormond said:

It seems paradoxical to me that as the average age of puberty has declined, modern culture seems to want to define people who are physically sexually mature as being just "children" until age 18. Sexual and romantic feelings don't suddenly turn from "degenerate" into "healthy" just because you pass age 18, and there must be a better way to explain to teenagers why it would be better for them to wait before committing to a marriage relationship than calling such relationships "degenerate."

Personally I find you intelectually a bit inconsistent here. And here's why.

A while back, there was this discussion here about voting age, and you argued against lowering it, because the brain was still maturing. (correct me if I remembered it wrongly)

But here you argue, that while their brain is arguably not matured enough to make an informed decission in an election booth, they are mature enough to make an arguably more impactful decission on their life and get married. 

This feels a bit like old enough to decide ala carte. So what is it now? 

Archived