US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

6 hours ago, Ormond said:

It seems paradoxical to me that as the average age of puberty has declined, modern culture seems to want to define people who are physically sexually mature as being just "children" until age 18. Sexual and romantic feelings don't suddenly turn from "degenerate" into "healthy" just because you pass age 18, and there must be a better way to explain to teenagers why it would be better for them to wait before committing to a marriage relationship than calling such relationships "degenerate."

As respectfully as possible how would a human being physically mature enough to bear children… in any way… equate to emotional maturity necessary for marriage?  What bothers me the most about the resistance to this legislation is the rationale that enacting it would inhibit religious freedom.

In what religious context would anyone under the age of 16 need to be married?  How would anyone under the age of 16 be legally able to consent to marriage when the age of consent for a legal contract in the US is 18… that’s why no on under the age of 18 can get a Credit Card.  They cannot… legally… enter a contract.

And another UFO shot down, this one over Lake Huron.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/military-shoots-high-altitude-object-lake-huron-officials/story?id=97068247

What the hell? Did the Chinese launch a whole bunch of balloons towards North America or has the US gov finally decided to let us know aliens are real and they're not our friends?

At least the F22 is finally earning its money.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

And another UFO shot down, this one over Lake Huron.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/military-shoots-high-altitude-object-lake-huron-officials/story?id=97068247

What the hell? Did the Chinese launch a whole bunch of balloons towards North America or has the US gov finally decided to let us know aliens are real and they're not our friends?

At least the F22 is finally earning its money.

At this point I am starting to think 'pranksters.' There is some precedent for this. 

These all seem like excellent "operational readiness" exercises for protecting N. America.

Glad to see the men and women of our armed services are trained and ready.

The latest closed airspace (Green Bay to Traverse Bay) sounds like it was along the 45th parallel and directly above me. Imagine if it had been a dirty bomb or chemical attack.

Im waiting for the next object in the sky to be discovered somewhere.

18 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Could be, but what are the objects? They're all high altitude and no metion of balloons.

I found a map roughly placing the locations where these objects were shot down, or in the case of the Montana UFO, where it was sighted.

https://www.businessinsider.com/objects-shot-down-over-alaska-canada-ufo-interfered-f22-sensors-2023-2

The Alaska UFO was shot down in far northern Alaska. This is an Alaska population map:

https://www.someka.net/blog/alaska-county-map/

There is no telling where the object was first launched or how long it was airborne. But it was brought down over very a very sparely populated area.

The same holds true for the Yukon UFO.

This is a Canada population map: https://matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-canadas-incredible-population-density/

As you can see the location where it was brought down is sparsely populated.

Because of how far these two objects were from civilization I learn towards these not being pranks unless they were launched by a tribe of sasquatch with a sense of humor. No way to tell for certain, though.

The one brought down today around Lake Huron though was surrounded by population centers. If any of these are a  prank I'd put my money on the Lake Huron UFO being a balloon launched by hoaxsters but there is no way to tell for certain until we get more information.

The question I have though is if the object sighted in Montana on Saturday is the same object that was shot down at Lake Huron on Sunday. Does anyone know if would be possible for a drifting balloon to travel from Montana to the great lakes in that short amount of time? If not then then that would be two separate objects.

12 hours ago, Parsons said:

The question I have though is if the object sighted in Montana on Saturday is the same object that was shot down at Lake Huron on Sunday. Does anyone know if would be possible for a drifting balloon to travel from Montana to the great lakes in that short amount of time? If not then then that would be two separate objects.

Straight Line Distance

The straight line distance from Port Huron, Michigan to Helena, Montana is 1,464.80 miles. The straight line distance is the shortest distance between the two locations.

Im guessing they are 2 different objects due to this distance.

Hot air ballons usually only move about 10mph or just your typical windspeed.

How fast and how far do balloons fly? Since the balloon travels with the wind, the balloon will only go as fast as the wind is blowing, which varies from ground level to higher altitudes. Generally balloons will not travel much faster than 8-10 mph.

However without more details, like if it was propelled along or something, like the zeppelins and blimps, we cant be certain.

1 hour ago, Parsons said:

I found a map roughly placing the locations where these objects were shot down, or in the case of the Montana UFO, where it was sighted.

https://www.businessinsider.com/objects-shot-down-over-alaska-canada-ufo-interfered-f22-sensors-2023-2

The Alaska UFO was shot down in far northern Alaska. This is an Alaska population map:

https://www.someka.net/blog/alaska-county-map/

There is no telling where the object was first launched or how long it was airborne. But it was brought down over very a very sparely populated area.

The same holds true for the Yukon UFO.

This is a Canada population map: https://matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-canadas-incredible-population-density/

As you can see the location where it was brought down is sparsely populated.

Because of how far these two objects were from civilization I learn towards these not being pranks unless they were launched by a tribe of sasquatch with a sense of humor. No way to tell for certain, though.

The one brought down today around Lake Huron though was surrounded by population centers. If any of these are a  prank I'd put my money on the Lake Huron UFO being a balloon launched by hoaxsters but there is no way to tell for certain until we get more information.

I can add this tidbit to the mix. Prudhoe Bay, site of one of the largest oil fields in North America and a somewhat surreal industrial site is fairly close to where the 'Alaska Object' was shot down. Likewise, Point Barrow (which has a new name I'm not even going to attempt to spell), the closest thing to an actual US city on the Arctic Coast, is also close by.  Most interesting bit (from pilots posting on Facebook) - the region around Prudhoe Bay is a no-fly zone. Or, at least flights are heavily restricted there.

14 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'll be honest in say I've little moral repugamce with your aunt’s second marriage, a 16 year old marrying a 17 year old

The moral trepidation comes with scenarios like her first marriage—a marriage between a 14 year old girl shacking up with 19 year old Man. 

You were not reading carefully. That was two different aunts. And the second one was a 17 year old marrying a 21 year old. 

Millions of people are about to get kicked off Medicaid
The number of people without health insurance just hit a new low — but the expiration of a pandemic policy could erase those gains.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2023/2/13/23582863/medicaid-health-insurance-covid-19-coverage-florida-texas

But in April, that will end — states will be re-checking every Medicaid enrollee’s eligibility, an enormous administrative undertaking that will put health insurance coverage for millions of Americans at risk.

The Biden administration estimates upward of 15 million people — one-sixth of the roughly 90 million Americans currently receiving Medicaid benefits — could lose coverage, a finding that independent analysts pretty much agree with. Those are coverage losses tantamount to a major economic downturn: By comparison, from 2007 to 2009, amid the worst economic downturn of most Americans’ lifetimes, an estimated 9 million Americans lost their insurance.

Some will lose coverage because they are no longer eligible due to a change in income or circumstance, such as a child turning 18. States are supposed to direct these people toward other insurance options, such as the Affordable Care Act marketplaces.

15 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Millions of people are about to get kicked off Medicaid
The number of people without health insurance just hit a new low — but the expiration of a pandemic policy could erase those gains.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2023/2/13/23582863/medicaid-health-insurance-covid-19-coverage-florida-texas

It says this was a pandemic policy, so does that mean this was a jump during the pandemic? Because I can't remember any news about the 15 million increase. Was that a state, Trump or Biden thing? 

22 minutes ago, ants said:

It says this was a pandemic policy, so does that mean this was a jump during the pandemic? Because I can't remember any news about the 15 million increase. Was that a state, Trump or Biden thing? 

I went on Medicaid in January of 2021, because of age and high premiums, even with the ACA. In January of this year, I received notice that my status was being reviewed.

On 2/12/2023 at 2:08 PM, Ormond said:

It seems paradoxical to me that as the average age of puberty has declined, modern culture seems to want to define people who are physically sexually mature as being just "children" until age 18. Sexual and romantic feelings don't suddenly turn from "degenerate" into "healthy" just because you pass age 18, and there must be a better way to explain to teenagers why it would be better for them to wait before committing to a marriage relationship than calling such relationships "degenerate."

Yes, it is paradoxical. Sexual and romantic feelings are a rheostat that ought to deepen and strengthen with age rather than an on-off switch.    

As sex and marriage are disentangled as a matter of practice in Western society (for better or for worse), marriage is rightly seen as the more serious and abiding commitment because it has a number of legal consequences and because it is still seen as an aspiration to forever.  It is of course possible (and maybe even right) to believe that sex before marriage is wrong, and marry young.  I don't think anyone would call a relationship between a 17 and a 16 year old degenerate. 

But the problem is that the brain is still developing at 14/15/16 and it is possible that the age/power disparity between a 15 and 19 year old is actually deeply problematic.  It's impossible to police these things (at least by government) on a case-by-case basis so you have draw bright line rules (partly for prophylactic effect) and empower parents to look out for the best interest of what are still, legally, children.  If two individuals are deeply in love and committed then they just have to wait.  By the way, you can marry at age 14 in Alaska and North Carolina (!).  

6 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I went on Medicaid in January of 2021, because of age and high premiums, even with the ACA. In January of this year, I received notice that my status was being reviewed.

I'm on it, too. My job has a yearly break and I go on Medicaid during it. Then, I usually get canceled when I go back to work. They didn't cancel me this year. I assume that is coming soon. The income requirements are absurdly low.

Here it is Valentine's Day, All Day, so says my computer, and, possessing neither vision nor rizz, yet Nikki Haley has presented herself on our POTUS App, with a terrorizing video in which she demonizes people of color in general from 1619 and immigrants, to specific figures such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Haley displays a plethora of red and, at best, biege flags, no green banderas at all, while never mentioning her sucking we know whose a$$. Wouldn't even  consider cuffing her during the long cold winters of our national discontent. Swiping left, left, left.  Ha!

She appears dreadfully envious of the attention the MTGs etc. are getting.  That can be the only reason she is putting herself out there on the scene.

Not a word about our massive domestic terrorism:

I've done my due diligence.  Next!

On 2/13/2023 at 9:12 AM, KingintheNorth4 said:

East Palestine, Ohio is the new Chernobyl.

In terms of response and economic consequences, the two events are highly dissimilar.

The Chernobyl accident resulted in 200,000 square kilometers of contamination to some degree (it of course varied). The more highly contaminated areas are still inaccessible to the public due to the long lived half-lives of some of the radionuclides (particularly cesium-137, with a half-life of 30 years). Some 350,000 people required evacuation. And it has been argued that Chernobyl was a key event in the eventual collapse of the USSR.

The Ohio accident resulted in a 2 mile area and about 1,500 to 2,000 residents evacuated. The surrounding water has been contaminated and it's estimated that 3,500 fish have died due to the contamination. The atmospheric half-time of vinyl chloride is 1.5 days, and so it will dissipate rapidly. The other contaminants apparently have a likewise short half-time, so this will not be a long lived hazard - the acute affects are of more concern.

As far as health consequences are considered, that may be where there is more similarity between events. Radiation excites far more furor in the public than deleterious effects due to chemicals, and so there is an overblown idea of the severity of health effects caused by Chernobyl. It is estimated that 5,000-10,000 deaths due to thyroid cancer occurred. Thyroid cancer is rare, and so it's much easier to connect its sudden appearance to exposure to radioactive iodine (which seeks the thyroid). Aside from that, no clear increase in cancers occurred in the dosed population such that is statistically significant and could be connected to Chernobyl. So 5,000 - 10,000 deaths is a reasonable range to estimate.

As for the Ohio accident, it's impossible to know the extent of the acute health effects that will result. This will take many years to evaulate. If there is a sharp rise in cancers among the dosed population (particularly cancers known to be associated with the released carcinogens) then correlations can be inferred.

A very clear similarity with Chernobyl is that the manufacturer and government knew how unsafe the RBMK reactors in their configuration were at the time, but employed them without safety measures because that was cheaper. Likewise, Norfolk South and the government deliberately repealed safety measures that likely contributed to this event occurring - because it was cheaper.

Archived