US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

Meanwhile...

This article about the new leaders of the Michigan branch of the Republican Party has me seriously wondering if these people can't be declared mentally incompetent and hence unfit for public office. Their beliefs are...well, looney tunes.

It could be literally catastrophic for the country should future President DeSantis appoint them to high office. With the current Supreme Court, these fruitloops could enact major theocratic change without penalty.

Meet the Michigan GOP’s New Leader: An Election Denier Who Believes ‘Demonic Possession’ Can Be Transmitted Through ‘Intimate Relationships’ (msn.com)

Karamo argued that Christianity belonged at the core of American politics, called evolution “one of the biggest frauds ever perpetuated on society,” and asserted the existence of demons.

“When we start talking about the spiritual reality of the demonic forces, it’s like, ‘Oh, my God, this is crazy, we can’t go there,’” Karamo said. “No. It’s like, did you read the Bible? Didn’t Jesus perform exorcisms? … Scriptures are clear. And so if we’re not operating as though the spirit realities of the world exist, we’re going to fail every time.”

Karamo’s beliefs were also catalogued by CNN’s KFile team, which noted her belief that abortion is a “satanic practice” that, according to her, essentially boils down to “child sacrifice.” Karamo has affiliated with QAnon in the past, plus she once claimed on her podcast that demonic possession is real, and can be passed on through “intimate relationships.”

“If a person has demonic possession — I know it’s gonna sound really crazy to me saying that for some people, thinking like what?!” said Karamo. “But having intimate relationships with people who are demonically possessed or oppressed — I strongly believe that a person opens themselves up to possession. Demonic possession is real.”

-------------

Next up, it seems that Biden's Border Plan is already meeting with modest success, and if allowed to continue, will be one of the most influential border measures ever.

Worth noting that the republicans commenting on this article are both absolutely apocalyptic and completely incoherent. 

I expect this to land before the Supreme Court in a case based entirely on dubious technicalities and spite.

Biden’s Plan to End the Border Crisis Is Already Working (msn.com)

But most importantly, the Biden administration needs to extend humanitarian parole to every country south of Mexico with large numbers of migrants showing up at the border. It can start with adding Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Peru, because they are the largest sending countries.

The Biden administration has turned a massive flow of illegal immigrants into a smaller flow of legal immigrants using a 71-year-old legal power granted to him by Congress. Migrants on humanitarian parole are legal migrants, lawfully allowed to live and work in the United States.

By extending humanitarian parole to other countries, increasing the numbers, attaching work authorization to parole, and reinstituting normal immigration fees, President Biden can be the first president to gain control of the border in generations.

Trade system of border canals (spec'd to Masters' Yachts, which I assume out of hand allows entry for a Nimitz), integrated custodial staffs equipped/trained/selected for sensitivity (Hispanic-Americans of immigrant parents/bi-lingual are logical recruitment pool) with refugees, asylum seekers, or whatever. For political reasons the white guys can have lots of guns and drones nearby but they're only allowed to leave their footprint if shots are fired or custodial staffs make call. This offers chance for effective, or at the least coherent, border conceit if not effective policy (I know nothing about effective policy, but neither does anyone in congress). Ecologically advantage-able social program. Wealth redistribution. Long-term employment opportunities for skilled, non-skilled, and specially-skilled labor. 

Provides template for similar social programs. 

Democrat stuff

To prove anti-racism build similar system along Canadian border. Much longer border. More land. More work. More redistribution of wealth. 

Democrat stuff

I also know how to erase need for Personal-Use gasoline-power vehicle (except for eclectic few who will enjoy trinket-vehicles from past years in numbers that aren't going to threaten the planet) AAAAAAANNND make Master Musk's Robo-Driver work... even though I find the very notion of a driverless car offensive

But you people think I'm a radical crazy now. Lol. Wait until your children are desperate enough to rip up every single road, street, alley, building, brick and bridge in this country and replace it with a nice electro-track and smart-house so they'll all be safe and auto-piloted from point to point for the rest of their lives. 

Do they need that? No

But it'll be good for them. To see that they can make something beyond the failures of their fathers

And when they realize they're addicted to something far more material than those fucking phones will ever give them. Something called agency. They can be put to use on those smart, safe, centrally-linked-and-powered tracks FIXING THIS FUCKING PLANET

Hear me, Heathens! 

\                []       

\ I-_-I    /

/  III /

/    III 

/     \

:wideeyed:

(Sorry for the triple-post. I'm going to play videogames now) Love to all. :grouphug:

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Except when the state doesn't have the power to do that, because it is far too weak to do anything but be a figurehead, brandname -- shoot, in Russia it can't even field/fund a state army, but is asking independent corporate warlord contractors to do it. 

This is almost the opposite of the situation in Russia. In Russia, corporations have been effectively turned into tools of the state, seized and reapportioned at the whim of the Kremlin for decades. It's well understood by the oligarchs that if Putin calls them up and asks them to fund a government project, appoint one of his allies to the board, award a contract to whoever he says, even hand over their company to someone else, they have to do it or he'll throw them in jail (or out of a window), bankrupt the company and sell it to someone more helpful for a knockdown price.

Russian companies don't fund the war, espionage, etc. because the state is too weak. They're an unaccountable, unofficial, deniable arm of the state.

Biden visits Kyiv ahead of anniversary of Russia’s invasion
It was a landmark moment in his presidency, coming against the backdrop of the one year anniversary of the invasion.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/20/biden-ukraine-traveling-00083597

President Joe Biden made a surprise visit to Kyiv on Monday, arriving in Ukraine’s capital in a show of support for the war-torn nation and statement of defiance ahead of the one-year anniversary of the war Russia launched.

Biden arrived at 8 a.m. local time and the presidential motorcade drove to Mariinsky Palace, where he was met by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and his wife.

“Thank you for coming,” Zelenskyy said. Biden asked about the Ukrainian leader’s kids and then said that the purpose of his visit was to signal the United States was “not leaving” Kyiv during the conflict.

“I thought it was critical that there not be any doubt, none whatsoever, about U.S. support for Ukraine in the war,” Biden said during a joint address with Zelenskyy.

23 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Let's put that one back for a moment.

Capitalism is a way of organizing society. What do we make our political choices based on in an election? A lot of time it's the economy, stupid.  to borrow a fairly successful campaign slogan from the US that often time gets repeated ad nauseam. That also now goes back to your first point. Democracy means (more or less) accepting to live in society, where the majority agrees on a set of rules to live by with a few unalienable rights (yeah, I borrowed that one, too for effect) granted to the individual. You can look at the US (and elsewhere) to see how the economy is using money to influence  fight the very rules it doesn't like. Mainly enviromental and product safety rules. The first person who says, but the free market will sort itself, knock your head with full force on your desk please. After you have done that, open an economics text book and read a bit further than the first 2-3 chapters. External costs. The companies have no interest in doing the right thing. The big fossil fuel companies have known for half a century, that they are destroying the planet (external costs), yet they have funded marketing campaigns to shape the democratic discourse in their favour. They are doing that by fairly open blackmail. If you pass laws to our dislike, we will go to other countries that pass laws in our image, and we will take a lot of jobs with us. Also, our political donations should mean, that our interest carries more weight than that of Greenpeace (or extinction rebellion, or last generation etc. pp.) This pretty much addresses your first point. The deep commitment of people operating business is also fairly open on display. Be it VW, Apple, Google utilizing labour   pardon, I mean reeducation camps in China in their manufacturing processes, or the use of child labour and sweat shops in the fashion industry. Now do tell me how deeply committed those companies are to a Representative Democracy. 

I mean, I could go on through different sectors, likesay farming. The use of  pesticides, the draining of soil. Deforestation. All things they shouldn't be doing. Yet, here we are.

Economists talk about the four factors of production. Those being land, labour, capital,  and entrepreneurship. Somehow in western culture capital and entrepreneurship have gained precedence of labour and land. I suspect that this is a relic of the feudal system where the lord of the manor is ordained by God to rule over those beneath him. There is no reason to not challenge this as any philosophical justification of capitalism that relies on feudalism as its beginning axiom is just so much shit.

7 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Economists talk about the four factors of production. Those being land, labour, capital,  and entrepreneurship. Somehow in western culture capital and entrepreneurship have gained precedence of labour and land. I suspect that this is a relic of the feudal system where the lord of the manor is ordained by God to rule over those beneath him. There is no reason to not challenge this as any philosophical justification of capitalism that relies on feudalism as its beginning axiom is just so much shit.

Fair.

15 hours ago, ants said:

So this information would strengthen the prosecution's case.

Yes, why yes, indeed it would for the prosecution to prove the woman was seeking a criminal abortion.  Which is FAR MORE LIKELY than the scenarios you are imagining. The reich is telling us out loud in public They want this. It's not women who want it, is it?.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene openly calling for the end of the Union is... something.

1)Accept her offer. In fact, to sweeten deal offer to accept all of federal government systems and disposal responsibilities as part of separation agreement...

2)ATTACK! 

*Don't attack?

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene openly calling for the end of the Union is... something.

Can't say it often enough: I would love it if my effete liberal citified blue state tax dollars stopped flowing south into the frothing, ungrateful gobs of shithole faux populists like MTG. Imagine if my state could actually keep the money it generates instead of supporting those shiftless welfare queens.

Are the Christofascists no longer even pretending to be against divorce?

12 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Accept her offer. In fact, to sweeten deal offer to accept all of federal government systems and disposal responsibilities as part of separation agreement..

Only if the blue states and Big Gummit also have all the naval, air, army bases and nuclear capacities in the red states ceded to us, since it takes Big Gummit money to fund them -- as the fracking Republic of Texas found out, drowning in debt, unable to collect a cent of tax revenue to repay the 'battle' for their independence, so turned around and begged the USA to take them in as another state -- and o, yes, thereby, repay their debts to European banks and governments.

No more federal funding for anything in their states, certainly not disaster relief.

Also no duel citizenship -- anyone in those seceded red states must give up their US passport and all other materials that identity as a US citizen.

Ya, those states are like this:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/who-can-ruin-their-state-the-best

Who Can Ruin Their State The Best?
A Brief History Of DeSantis And Abbott’s Fight To Out-MAGA Each Other

However, They will never be satisfied with a divorce, secession, whatever They wanna call it, anymore than the territorial discrete Dixie was.  The objective, the goal, the plan, was not "to be left alone," but take over all of it, and from there the entire North and South American continents and from there at least the South Pacific.  Which, of course, They began doing with taking all the US funded military forts, bases, and material They could klept.  

Nor is the USA territorially discrete when it comes to red vs. blue.  Think about that when you consider a seceded Texas with nuclear arms -- or even blue states that have capacity in one way or another, because most of them have significant populations of Them -- just look at all the CSA flags flying from porches and in yards in New York State, for instance.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Only if the blue states and Big Gummit also have all the naval, air, army bases and nuclear capacities in the red states ceded to us, since it takes Big Gummit money to fund them -- as the fracking Republic of Texas found out, drowning in debt, unable to collect a cent of tax revenue to repay the 'battle' for their independence, so turned around and begged the USA to take them in as another state -- and o, yes, thereby, repay their debts to European banks and governments.

No more federal funding for anything in their states, certainly not disaster relief.

Also no duel citizenship -- anyone in those seceded red states must give up their US passport and all other materials that identity as a US citizen.

Ya, those states are like this:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/who-can-ruin-their-state-the-best

Who Can Ruin Their State The Best?
A Brief History Of DeSantis And Abbott’s Fight To Out-MAGA Each Other

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Can't say it often enough: I would love it if my effete liberal citified blue state tax dollars stopped flowing south into the frothing, ungrateful gobs of shithole faux populists like MTG. Imagine if my state could actually keep the money it generates instead of supporting those shiftless welfare queens.

Are the Christofascists no longer even pretending to be against divorce?

Texas?

Iraq?

I could take your phalanx there

I mean so could a child with a stick

Archived