US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

Keep in mind abbott and costello et al. are already demanding alimony, child support, continued carriage on the health insurance and other benefits, and all of the pension.

IOW, 'divorce' is another word for civil war, i.e. dog whistle.  You all know that, right?

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Keep in mind abbott and costello et al. are already demanding alimony, child support, continued carriage on the health insurance and other benefits, and all of the pension.

IOW, 'divorce' is another word for civil war, i.e. dog whistle.  You all know that, right?

She should be expelled for this shit.  

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She should be expelled for this shit.  

I believe I first got the idea from you, but I am in favor of some kind of constitutional convention (or whatever, I don't fucking know. This is a job for your kinda people) where maybe leaving the union is on the table. 

But you WILL NOT secede. Not until after Karl Rove gives his "Galactic Empire!" speech. Which, judging from the direction of things will probably be in like. I dunno, like fifteen minutes or somethin

:kiss:

20 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Blue cities in Red States might possibly object to leaving the United States. As I understand it, those Blue cities account for a large slice of Red State revenue.

Revenue finances war

People win war

Cities have people

Blue places have people if they remember they are Red and White too, when Red is not insane and White is not lost in greed and cowardice 

Democrat stuff

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yes, why yes, indeed it would for the prosecution to prove the woman was seeking a criminal abortion.  Which is FAR MORE LIKELY than the scenarios you are imagining. The reich is telling us out loud in public They want this. It's not women who want it, is it?.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? 

There are two strands here. One is the context of this bill within states where abortion is illegal. In that context, abortion is illegal and of course Republicans would want information on its criminality to be accessible. That's not particularly surprising or an extension of their current position.

The second strand is in the context of states where abortion isn't illegal. Which is where the examples Fez and I discussed matter. I am clearly talking about prosecution in this context, which you requested as you wanted examples, then challenged that, and I replied, so I can assume that your switching the discussion back to abortion is an attempt to change the discussion onto other ground. Since despite your over the top rhetoric, you haven't really shown anything as to why this data should be protected in states where abortion isn't illegal. Or that the access to this data is currently being abused or even sought. 

This link probably fits better into the International news thread. But it also fits in with the discussion about Democracy vs. Capitalism from a bit further upthread.

I assume the Guardian will drop an equally long worthy/scary article.

For the love of the big horse above. Sign International Arrest Warrants for those fuckers.

16 hours ago, ants said:

I can assume that your switching the discussion back to abortion is an attempt to change the discussion onto other ground.

:P  You make no sense at all.  Nor are you a USian criminal attorney -- you are not from here nor do you live here, so ....  :dunno:

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene openly calling for the end of the Union is... something.

The Oath of Office for the US Representatives is as follows.

"I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Seems like MTG is tweeting out violations of her Oath of Office to me.

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Oath of Office for the US Representatives is as follows.

"I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

Seems like MTG is tweeting out violations of her Oath of Office to me.

Because she is.

3 hours ago, Week said:

New banger dropped.

Truly a warrior-poet.

DRACARYS !!!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

She supported the insurrection and thus shouldn't be able to hold office in the first place.

Send her ass back to (early) 1945s' Germany.

ETA: 

Matter of fact, if the time-machine can handle specific dates I say drop her in the Fuhrer's lap for one last birthday present to give them both what they deserve :D

10 hours ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

DRACARYS !!!

ETA: 

Matter of fact, if the time-machine can handle specific dates I say drop her in the Fuhrer's lap for one last birthday present to give them both what they deserve :D

America, being in many ways Hitler’s model for his worst aspirations, might actually be an exception to the trope; Hitler might not be people like MTG’s actual hero. It might some more atavistic yearning for earlier America (that inspired him)…but as with all conservatives of any extremity, only from a very vague and/or selective review. 

Recall the mention here above as to the massive debt the Republic of TX had, which it couldn't / wouldn't repay, which locked it out of any further credit from other nations, incapable of further borrowing (which was also the case with Mississippi, btw, on the eve of the Civil War, Mississippi, which in 1860 had more millionaires than any other state, and by 1863 and Emancipation, was the poorest state, a state >ahe-hem< from which it has never recovered over a century and a half later) -- let MGT eat these figures, please, with her divorce -- which as with the Civil War actually means conquer by force and force everyone else to keep supporting Them and do as They say.

DEPARTMENT OF DATA
Why does the South have such ugly credit scores?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/02/17/bad-southern-credit-scores/

Many graphs, tables and much analysis and discussion -- a big luscious cake for stat lovers.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Recall the mention here above as to the massive debt the Republic of TX had, which it couldn't / wouldn't repay, which locked it out of any further credit from other nations, incapable of further borrowing (which was also the case with Mississippi, btw, on the eve of the Civil War, Mississippi, which in 1860 had more millionaires than any other state, and by 1863 and Emancipation, was the poorest state, a state >ahe-hem< from which it has never recovered over a century and a half later) -- let MGT eat these figures, please, with her divorce -- which as with the Civil War actually means conquer by force and force everyone else to keep supporting Them and do as They say.

DEPARTMENT OF DATA
Why does the South have such ugly credit scores?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/02/17/bad-southern-credit-scores/

Many graphs, tables and much analysis and discussion -- a big luscious cake for stat lovers.

Speaking of Texas, is it true it’s still-functioning election laws were written by an escaped-to-Mexico (to continue the fight against the Union) and later returning w/o ever acknowledging defeat Confederate? Like a guy who was literally and pretty openly still fighting the Old Cause, elected to high office, creating the laws that decide who votes how?

Why yes, yes, indeed. Just as military figures who fought to take all of North American and South America for slavery, and others whose fathers did, were appointed by (Union) government to occupy nations such as Haiti.  This family and regional background profoundly affects US military perception of behavior for themselves and the enemy to this day -- Southerners have long been predominate in the US military's officer class.

History as an Enemy and an Instructor
Lessons Learned from Haiti, 1915–34
Christopher Davis, PhD

https://www.usmcu.edu/Portals/218/JAMS_11_1_History as an Enemy and an Instructor_Christopher Davis_1.pdf

.... The goal of this article is to demonstrate the role of
Haitian history in the insurgencies against the U.S. occupation between 1915
and 1934, and why the failure to account for that history exacerbated those
movements. Also demonstrated will be how the U.S. Marine Corps successfully
adapted its approach to unconventional warfare as a result of these conflicts.
In so doing, the argument will be made that the work of military innovation,
whose focus is understandably toward the future, can benefit considerably from
looking backward as well. The history of the U.S. occupation of Haiti during
the previous century serves as a useful case study in how history can be an enemy when it is overlooked and a valuable teacher when understood. ....

I am not a military historian, but I have a quite deep and broad historical knowledge of many of these places, particularly in terms in the history of the African slave trade and its continued pernicious effect on our national political will and perceptions.

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

America, being in many ways Hitler’s model for his worst aspirations, might actually be an exception to the trope; Hitler might not be people like MTG’s actual hero. It might some more atavistic yearning for earlier America (that inspired him)…but as with all conservatives of any extremity, only from a very vague and/or selective review. 

Look. If it was cool to challenge a B. I'd duel this psychopants B myself. 

That being said. I gotta stick up for her here. 

The fact that she must have, somewhere at some point, learned that there is a congress... 

Just that

To say nothing of anything else about her or her """"""" politics """"""""

Yo. She knew there was a thing called a congress! And that you, can just like... get in it

I'm here to tell ya that by American standards MTG is almost a genius. Almost. 

I mean by normal functioning-frontal-lobe standards of functioning human societies she's... y'know. She's Marjorie Taylor Green. 

But in America? 

She's more powerful than any of you eh? 

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Look. If it was cool to challenge a B. I'd duel this psychopants B myself. 

That being said. I gotta stick up for her here. 

The fact that she must have, somewhere at some point, learned that there is a congress... 

Just that

To say nothing of anything else about her or her """"""" politics """"""""

Yo. She knew there was a thing called a congress! And that you, can just like... get in it

I'm here to tell ya that by American standards MTG is almost a genius. Almost. 

I mean by normal functioning-frontal-lobe standards of functioning human societies she's... y'know. She's Marjorie Taylor Green. 

But in America? 

She's more powerful than any of you eh? 

Negative. Two parts of congress. I was aware of that.

Also I’ve been doing a lot of pushups recently.

But if she immolates the head of her half of the congress neither half is gonna produce anything viable

"(s)He who can destroy a thing, can control a thing." 

Excluding, roadblocking, barrier-ing, and damming does not dissipate force

It reconcentrates 

:crying:

They took your beloved system and, because nobody wanted to fix it, they've broken it beyond repair. Well, beyond anything anybody left is willing to repair

Section 230 might be safe after all -

How Supreme Court Justices Responded to a Lawsuit That Could Upend the Internet (msn.com)

But if the initial rounds of questioning were any indication, it does not seem likely that the court is ready to disrupt the status quo of Section 230, which shields platforms like YouTube and Facebook from lawsuits over the content they host. Judges on both sides of the ideological aisle expressed skepticism of the plaintiff’s arguments, and suggested several times that reform should be left to Congress. While the Supreme Court may yet upend Section 230 in the future, it seems unlikely Justices will do so through this case. That means the activists demanding the Big Tech reform will likely have to continue fighting an uphill battle.

Archived