US Politics: Catch the big crook under the “Big Cone”

Ser Scot A Ellison

There's got to be a better way to do this than holding placards, surely :lol:

Lmao I've jut got to the point where Greene is complaining that she got banned from twitter

It would be funny, but what a thing to waste time and money on ( it's still funny though)

I can't tell if this is pure theater or if DeSantis and assorted far-right media entities are that stupid (as they'd be the first prosecuted). Anyhow, DeSantis on television brainstorming ways to undermine freedom of the press...

DeSantis Threat to Crack Down on Press Protections Would Be Bad News For Conservative Media (mediaite.com)

The roundtable did not end with any action. But during the conversation DeSantis repeatedly decried First Amendment protections granted to US media outlets and brainstormed ways to weaken them.

He described the press as the country’s “leading purveyors of disinformation” who are victimizing regular Americans and suggested he would take action against the industry. “Stay tuned,” he concluded.

As far as specific proposals go, DeSantis floated cracking down on the use of anonymous sources and asked if the Supreme Court could reconsider New York Times v. Sullivan, the 1964 Supreme Court ruling that established “actual malice” as a standard for defamation of public figures.

It's so weird to have been reading, scanning commentators and responses to the SOTU speech last night.  ALL OF THEM lead with how the POTUS was heckled and booed and howled at, etc. by the insane monsters of evil.  It isn't until very far down one gets to learn what he talked about.  Politics as The Apprentice really sux, if you ask me.  But then we missed the whole thing, involved with the grand finale to the trip.

17 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

I can't tell if this is pure theater or if DeSantis and assorted far-right media entities are that stupid (as they'd be the first prosecuted). Anyhow, DeSantis on television brainstorming ways to undermine freedom of the press...

DeSantis Threat to Crack Down on Press Protections Would Be Bad News For Conservative Media (mediaite.com)

The roundtable did not end with any action. But during the conversation DeSantis repeatedly decried First Amendment protections granted to US media outlets and brainstormed ways to weaken them.

He described the press as the country’s “leading purveyors of disinformation” who are victimizing regular Americans and suggested he would take action against the industry. “Stay tuned,” he concluded.

As far as specific proposals go, DeSantis floated cracking down on the use of anonymous sources and asked if the Supreme Court could reconsider New York Times v. Sullivan, the 1964 Supreme Court ruling that established “actual malice” as a standard for defamation of public figures.

His allies on the SC (including Clarence Thomas whose wife wrote that her husband had been in contact with De Santis: https://www.americanoversight.org/email-suggests-that-supreme-court-justice-thomas-had-been-in-regular-contact-with-florida-gov-desantis), are already hard at work. 

Weird, because otherwise they were such energetic promoters of the First Amendment in Citizens United, Americans for Prosperity v Bonta, and Cruz v FEC.  

Biden on Republicans: ‘Their dream is to cut Social Security and Medicare’
The president seized on his battle with GOP lawmakers over the entitlement programs.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/08/biden-battleground-wisconsin-sotu-00081881

Then the president quoted Sen. Ron Johnson’s (R-Wis.) stance on the issue, prompting the crowd to boo.

“They sure didn’t like me calling them on it,” Biden said, noting that Rep. Marjorie Taylor Green (R-Ga.) stood up and called him a “liar” during Tuesday night’s speech. “Look, a lot of Republicans — their dream is to cut Social Security and Medicare. Well, let me just say this. It’s your dream, but I’m going to use my veto pen and make it a nightmare.”

I cannot believe the blob blatherers are STILL blathering about that damned balloon!  Other than demented reichlican howlers at the SOTU it's all there is to blather about evidently. On Spanish language outlets as much as English speaking ones.

It was so great to have dropped out of the 'news' for a few days. 

So on guns, I think that the Left hasn’t made overturning Heller a cause celebre the way that the Right focused on overturning Roe is somewhat telling.  Heller is weakly reasoned (maybe better than Roe, but its dismissal of the prefatory clause is originalism nonsense sauce - that is, it rejects textualism in favor of originalism to justify the result). I mean it’s just kinda sat there since 2008.  I understand that this court wouldn’t overturn it.  But, this court isn’t forever.  I’ll be dead in 50 years (probably) but no reason not to invest.  

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We just shot “something” down off the coast of Alaska:

U.S. shoots down 'high-altitude object' over Alaska  - https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/1156114384/u-s-shoots-down-high-altitude-object-over-alaska?origin=NOTIFY

So much for Christmas next year. That was probably Santa.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

We just shot “something” down off the coast of Alaska:

U.S. shoots down 'high-altitude object' over Alaska  - https://www.npr.org/2023/02/10/1156114384/u-s-shoots-down-high-altitude-object-over-alaska?origin=NOTIFY

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

So much for Christmas next year. That was probably Santa.

That was just Biden's  Green New Deal in the Senate. 

Archived