Cooking For Noobs

Relic

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Having sharp blades is a must. If cooking is something you're serious about, invest in at least one good 8-10" chef's knife and a good paring knife.

This. But you don't have to spend a fortune.

I have a bunch of super-expensive Japanese knives. But this one is my favourite, and my go-to blade for almost every kitchen task (except cutting meat).

I've had it for five years. And it's still as sharp as the day I got it. Not bad for less than twenty quid.

Edited by Spockydog

Since it's winter, I guess I have soup on the brain. Another family favorite that's also pretty easy (though it requires a blender) is Sopa Azteca or tortilla soup, by Rick Bayless. It's a nice excuse to buy a rotisserie chicken, which then becomes soup stock. His toppings include cheese, and we like cotija and sour cream, but it'll be delicious with chips, avocado, and a squeeze of lime.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/sopa-azteca/

Yes, Rick Bayless is the younger brother of noted sports TV blowhard Skip Bayless. I can only surmise that Rick got all the good traits and Skip got the bad, like a real life version of "Twins" with Schwarzenegger and DeVito.

This one's good too. Some of these recipes are very simple and you get to eat like a queen, or a prince.

https://www.youtube.com/@Darren_McGrady/videos

I so want to try this sometime.

Which brings me to a question: I've never deep fried anything in my life. What do you do with the oil after you use it? Do you dump it down the drain? That seems awfully wasteful. 

I'm thinking of getting a good air fryer. I don't know how this would work in one of those. 

27 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This one's good too. Some of these recipes are very simple and you get to eat like a queen, or a prince.

https://www.youtube.com/@Darren_McGrady/videos

I so want to try this sometime.

Which brings me to a question: I've never deep fried anything in my life. What do you do with the oil after you use it? Do you dump it down the drain? That seems awfully wasteful. 

I'm thinking of getting a good air fryer. I don't know how this would work in one of those. 

Yeah, you have to dump the oil, unless maybe you can convert it to fuel with one of those biofuel cars. This is why I don't actually deep fry much at all. I've learned to make passable French fries in the oven.

In the couple of years after college, one of my roommates had a deep fryer. I don't think we ever changed the oil in that thing, despite making chicken fingers like three times a week.

52 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Science! Now if only they could explain what "degradation" means.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/articles/1733-how-many-times-can-you-reuse-frying-oil

Oh right, we did at least strain out the little fried bits. And ate them. While very high.

Do not dump oil down a drain.  It can get poured into a container once it's not scalding hot and then disposed of.  It will clog your pipes like they were sclerotic blood vessels.  Running hot water while you dump it only spreads it out further from your sink throughout the plumbing infrastructure.

This is why restaurants have grease disposal containers outside.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

I know how to make chicken tenders and tuna patties. During high school, my Mom worked and my Dad got home around 3pm, so my sis and I had to make dinner because my Dad wasn't gonna make himself dinner!! We had many things like boxed pastas and potatoes and Tuna Helper but some meals were not already made. I know how to cook Lebanese Stew with green beans and put over rice as well. And this dish called Porcupine Meatballs put over mashed potatoes or rice. We made stir fry a lot with beef and carrots, broccoli, and onions. We made hamburgers often and I remember putting just onion soup mix in the hamburger meat and cooking it up. Really good!

When I started to try to be more creative, I made a meal a few times of "knock-off" Chipotle the restaurant. During this spell when I really wanted to be creative, I made Rosemary Turkey Meatballs and Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. I made Falafel and Hummus before. That was good but I didn't blend it well enough. I know how to cook beef stew but it's really a cheap kind of meal because I just add stew mix, carrots, stew meat, and potatoes. I love to cook turkey noodle soup and also chicken noodle soup with frozen egg noodles.

8 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Do not dump oil down a drain.  It can get poured into a container once it's not scalding hot and then disposed of.  It will clog your pipes like they were sclerotic blood vessels.  Running hot water while you dump it only spreads it out further from your sink throughout the plumbing infrastructure.

This is especially true of bacon grease, which solidifies at room temperature and has a consistency closer to wax. Definitely don't put down the drain.

14 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

This is especially true of bacon grease, which solidifies at room temperature and has a consistency closer to wax. Definitely don't put down the drain.

Please use it to cook vegetables (brussels sprouts!) or toast bread.

13 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Here in Canada,all restaurant drains have to go into grease traps.

8 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Here in Canada,all restaurant drains have to go into grease traps.

Probably the case most places in the states as well, but most restaurants here have catch bins outside to dump oil in.  It's cheaper than paying for the trap cleaning (or at least extends the interval between cleanings).  I cleaned out the grease trap at my ex gfs bagel shop (I think I even posted about it here) and it was the single grossest moment of my life, with nothing else even coming close.  A paragon for all other moments of disgust to aspire to.

Eta:

We were literally counting  pennies at the time but happy to figure out where to come up with money to pay to clean the trap.  

Edited by Larry of the Lake

1 minute ago, Raja said:

what y'all doing to dal in boston /cdn-cgi/mirage/724d97111dc628e3874695b5473fe47094e733a14770b0604d631c5f44d471f7/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_wideeyed.gif

Daaahl? You mean lentil chowdah?

In all seriousness I just enjoy that recipe, but I have no idea how far it deviates from the traditional dish. I haven't tried to cook it for any of my South Asian friends.