Is Aegon a Targaryen or a Blackfyre?

King Jaehaerys II

I'm gonna contest the premise of the question. Why offer a choice between Targaryen or Blackfyre, when he could well have no significant lineage. The Free Cities have no shortage of people with the Valyrian look.

I don't dislike the kid, so I wish the best for him. But I'm not heavily invested because I think the story is setting him up to fail.

1 hour ago, King Jaehaerys II said:

What do you guys think ? Is Aegon a Targaryen or a Blackfyre ?

I think he's a Targaryen.

mind you, there are hints that he may be a Blackfyre . but recently, I've realized Blackfyre "clue"s aren't more than Dance , Dunk and Egg , Baelor the Blessed or the Young Dragon's namedrops. I think he is the mummer's dragon and the mummer is Vary. 

then there's the fact that I like him to be the real deal! and that's because if Varys turns out to be a Blackfyre with a long-term plan, it'll ruin the character of Varys for me. also, there's the possibility of Dany/Aegon conflict, and I think it's about time Dany's not in the righteous place or at least faces a dilemma. frankly, there won't be much of a dilemma for her if it's a "fake" dragon she is fighting. 

another argument is that Aegon has no royal background at all. a theory I rather like. but as much as some people seem to think being Valyrian means everyone's alike, it is not! people of the same heritage can have some similar features such as bone structure or hair color, but that does not mean there aren't distinguishing features in different families. Aegon looks enough like Rhaegar (and surely, to some extent Elia) for Jon Con , who knew them both.

1 hour ago, King Jaehaerys II said:

And finally are you rooting for him ?

yes!

I don't think he'll survive the series, but I kinda hope he at least leaves behind offspring and wins the throne through them.

now that I've written so much , I might as well say why I root for him ! well, after Dance I wasn't so sure because of Tyrion's comment and the cyvasse match. but later, I re-read AGOT, where Jon pulls the same thing on Tyrion when he is mad, and then YG's rationale for naming Duck his kingsgaurd in Winds gladdens my peasant heart!

I want him to be real, how odd that in this series, a characters backstory actually being true is a plot twist.

Regardless, I think of all the potential final kings/queens left, I think (f)Aegon will be the best of them. Which is why I think he’ll die. Much in the way Rhaegar had to be killed off. He’ll be so good at it, it will take excitement and suspense out of the story if he was to stick around. Jon or Dany will be on the Irone Throne by the end. Perhaps in a much smaller kingdom, with some independent Kingdoms.

The fake Aegon (who we know as Young Griff but who was born Quentyn Martell) is of Blackfyre heritage (via a female line), being the son of Mellario and the grandson of Illyrio & Serra.

The real Aegon (who we know as Frog Martell) is a Targaryen and is The Prince that was Promised.   He has two siblings or half-siblings who are the other two Heads of the Dragon.

7 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

He is both. It's like Schrödinger's cat. Aegon VI is a Blackfyre and a Targaryen until one option is found false. We may never find out for sure though in which case he'll stay both forever.

Made even more gestalt by the fact that Blackfyres ARE Targaryens. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Made even more gestalt by the fact that Blackfyres ARE Targaryens. 

A distinction can be drawn, and in this case, was drawn.  So no.  In current context, Blackfyres are not Targaryens, just as Targaryens are not Blackfyres.  Both are Valyrians, though.

27 minutes ago, Gilbert Green said:

A distinction can be drawn, and in this case, was drawn.  So no.  In current context, Blackfyres are not Targaryens, just as Targaryens are not Blackfyres.  Both are Valyrians, though.

red or black , they are as much family as Starfall Daynes and Highhermitage Daynes . 

41 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

red or black , they are as much family as Starfall Daynes and Highhermitage Daynes . 

That means nothing to us, as we don't know how much family the 2 Dayne clans are.  They just bear the same name.

You have to go back 5 or more generations to find a common ancestor between the Blackfyres and the Targs.  For all we know, the Daynes may have continued to intermarry.

I would not mind if he was a genuine Targaryen but the thing that suggests to me that it is more likely he is a Blackfyre is the Support of the Golden Company and this bit of potential foreshadowing.

"When the smith's son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign into pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust..."

And I am suspicious of the Golden Company's claim that they 'just want to go home'. If this was really their motive, wouldn't they have done so by now? They had a good opportunity during Robert's Rebellion, no?

12 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

I would not mind if he was a genuine Targaryen but the thing that suggests to me that it is more likely he is a Blackfyre is the Support of the Golden Company and this bit of potential foreshadowing.

And I am suspicious of the Golden Company's claim that they 'just want to go home'. If this was really their motive, wouldn't they have done so by now? They had a good opportunity during Robert's Rebellion, no?

they don't just want to go home . but they don't seem to have much loyalty left for Blackfyres either.

first of all, let's take a look at the members: the spymaster is Lysene , the commander of archers is Summer Islander, and the paymaster is Volantene. of the sergeants, a third are foreigners, and a third are bastard knights born in Westeros without much allegiance to house Blackfyre. which leaves Harry Strickland, a 4 generation Golden Company legacy, the most likely candidate to be a Blackfyre loyalist. ironically, he's the most reluctant one to follow Aegon. 

then, let's consider for a moment the fact that Jon Con joined the Company first thing after exile, despite being a fierce Targaryen loyalist. not only that, but he quickly rose in the ranks of the company, and nobody thought twice about it. (granted, he was sleeping with the captain-general, but still!) .

therefore, my safest bet on GC's motivation is that they are just another sellsword company, only with more prestige. it's also worth noting that they needed some convincing and only accepted Aegon because of both the good deal they could get out of it and Aegon's charisma. I mean, they are sellswords and they are offered the possibility of lordship and sack instead of sitting still outside of Myr's walls!  

31 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

He is either a Blackfyre, or GRRM is doing some major trolling with red herring clues.

There's Illyrio's line about the Golden Company breaking contract to support YG because some contracts are written in blood.  Hard to ignore that.

There's the line about only the male line being extinct.  Obviously setting up something.   And if a female line survives, she is probably not a single mom with the last name Blackfyre.  Probably she married into a family we have heard of.

What major player do we know of who married a mystery-woman from Essos?  Doran Martell.  And where were Young Griff and Lemore staying before they set off down-river?  Norvos, apparently.

31 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Some do just want to go home.  Obviously the rank and file are not going to know the secret.

11 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

He is both. It's like Schrödinger's cat. Aegon VI is a Blackfyre and a Targaryen until one option is found false. We may never find out for sure though in which case he'll stay both forever.

That's hilarious!  Yes, Shrodinger's dragon and I hope he survives against all odds and weds Sansa. 

I think he has a good chance of sitting on the Iron Throne at some point, but not for long as he appears to have feet of clay. And he’ll have to marry Margaery because not having her marry a king after being widowed would break her only purpose in the plot. :)

As to whether he’s the real Targ deal, I think George has put this answer in the deep freeze and we may never get  confirmation.

Aegon "Young Griff" is the son of Illyrio Mopatis and Serra Blackfyre. He was born in late 283 to early 284 and is currently sixteen. He lived in Illyrio's mance with his parents during the first years of his life, then he went away with JonCon and co to learn how to be the perfect King. This is the conclusion I came to while reading ADWD and I don't think I need to give the clues that led me there since they are widely known.

The baby swap thing is too hard too swallow from Targ loyalist PoV because there are too many weird things: Varys could not foresee that Aerys would not listen to him, that Gregor would smash Aegon's head against the wall, making him unrecognizable. Moreover, I find it hard to believe that Elia would agree to let her son go and stay behind with her daughter, as hostages of the Mad King and suffer a horrible death. In addition to this, why would Varys only save Aegon? He had plenty of time to get them out of the Red Keep then into safety while the Lannister men sacked King's Landing.

For a Targaryen loyalist, I think he was more effective in sabotaging Aerys' reign rather than preserving it. As Barristan said, his whispers amplified Aerys' madness, leading to the atrocities we know today. Sorry guys, you've lost me here, Varys doesn't care about Targaryens and let them fall like flies on purpose, I can't buy the opposite.

11 minutes ago, Ser Arthurs Dawn said:

Also can't wrap my head around Varys telling a dying Kevan Lannister a lie. Is Varys a troll?

He's not technically lying since Young Griff's real name is Aegon and it's just a name. The baby swap thing requires the ability to see the future, something Varys lacks. It would have been very useful to have this ability, he would have known what Littlefinger is up to and could have countered his plots.

Archived