If you were the king of Westeros !!!

King Jaehaerys II

High Priority to Remove Threats to my Reign:

1. Get rid of Stannis, Melisandre, Varys, Illyrio, F/Aegon, Daenerys, Cersei, Petyr Baelish, John Connington, Tyrion, Doran Martell, the Sand Snakes, the High Sparrow and Euron (not necessarily in that order). I'm sorry but there needs to be a purge to bring stability to the realm. Yes some people are on this list just because I don't like them.

Judicial Reform:

• Make a very clear cut legal proclamation defining succession with regards to the Iron Throne, this will be done with the consent of the lords and Faith so it cannot just be undone later.
  • Develop the judicial system of Westeros. I would appoint one of the lords from each of the kingdoms as Head Justice of that region, with the ruling of the local lords able to be appealed to them, and further appeal from this possible to the Master of Laws (permission from the higher judge will be needed). Everything will be recorded by a maester. This will help Westeros build up a good body of case law which can sort out disagreements/conflicts with regards to how laws are interpreted. Both the Master of Laws and the Head Justice of each kingdom will be aided by no less than two maesters when making their decision. Final appeal to the Queen may be possible in certain circumstances, such as if it is an issue of importance to the whole nation of Westeros.
  • Continue Jaehaerys I's codification of the Laws of Westeros.
  • All decrees made by Cersei as Queen Regent are declared invalid on the grounds of her obtaining that position via fraud and murder.

Strengthening the Watch:

• Make some petty/less serious crimes have an automatic penalty of being sent to the Watch (e.g. Theft) and send all debtors to the Watch.
  • Send Kingsguard members to the Watch when they are too old for active service in the Kingsguard to be officers of the Watch.

Miscellaneous:

• Make sure I have plenty of children so there is no shortage of heirs, but not so many that it becomes an issue.
  • Give the Gift and the New Gift back to the North as they are doing no good in the hands of the Watch.
  • Invite the Wildlings to settle on the Iron Islands if they can take them.
  • Promote the idea of a united 'Westerosi' identity and the idea of Westeros as one nation
  • Give Dorne to the Yronwoods
  • Legitimise Edric Storm and make him Lord of Storm's End
  • Public executions of all those responsible for the Red Wedding and Ramsay Snow will be executed for crimes against the people of Westeros
  • Maintain a standing royal army with recruits from across all regions to foster sense of Westerosi identity
  • People who don't like me will be sent on 'honourable' expeditions to Valyria or Beyond the Wall to fight the Others
  • Use the excuse of the Others to centralise power
  • Have a series of examinations like the Confucian bureaucracy in imperial China to select the best officials for each post on the Small Council

My wish is to slowly erode the loyalty/affiliation the common people have for their local lord and replace it with loyalty to the king and the idea of a united Westeros. Then when the time is right the people can kill the horrible petty nobles and elect representatives from among themselves who will then be appointed governors of each region by the Queen. 

While I'd have some infrastructure goals (roadworks to the North and such, tax reform, etc), those would be the Hand's tasks. I'd want to promote a general peace, and do it the old-school way: intermarriage of the great and lesser houses. The easiest way to do that? Use my queen. No one would dare turn down a royal invitation, and I'd take a cue from Ned Stark. The same way he had a different person from Winterfell dine with his family every evening, I'd blow that up. Randomly invite Lords and their families to King's Landing for a week or two at a time, put them all in the same room. Let the boys train together in the yard, let the girls sew together in the great halls. Have these Lords dine with me every night, and make damn sure the ladies have planned activities that put them all in the same room a couple times per day, with the queen leading the way.

Leave these women to their own devices, and the betrothals will make themselves. While the men yammered about war and security and foreign affairs, the women would literally sew the fabric of Westerosi nobility tight, and contribute more towards peace and a general understanding of different regions than the men could ever attempt.

Ok

1st off id go to bravos and introduce myself to all faceless men so they know me.

2nd have the richest houses work with members of small banks and form a bank of westeros backed with lannister gold, id ensure it didnt tread on the ironbanks essos toes but provide more economic stability to westeros.  The master of coin must keep pristine records and theyl be checked regularly by maesters and financial experts from essos

3rd have the warden of the north take 3) actions a) take his force north of the wall to engage any growing wildling movement and slash back forrest from the wall and rebuild forts and add scorpions etc.

b) ordered to build a west coast navy again to check the ironborn more..paid for from royal purse/debt or the north goes tax free for a while to cover the cost. 

c) resettle the gift and new gift with minor lords and hedge knights pledged to winterfell, even scour the kingdom for those willing to settle  up north.

4) a one off tax on wealthy nobles used to send a huge financial boost to the watch plus  every  lords blacksmith is to send one sword, suit of mail, axe, spear or crossbow/bow and arrow etc so they dont have to waste the cash on weapons or armour.

5)all those jailed given oppertunity to join the watch, send word to essos anyone there who speaks the  common tounge of westeros to be given  the same offer  , when finances good a force of unsullied (only say 200- 500 or so at a time the current watch couldnt handle more) to be ordered BUT with the advance order that we want them to be non eunchs ! 

6)royal funds to be used to sponsor more to stick to the maester training programe (raise numbers good for all)  , the existing maesters to be instructed to research magic and mythical beasts etc again as well as work with the alchimest guild....who will be instructed to continue massing wildfire in safe paces outside the city, multiple small storage sites over one big one though and all wel outside city limits.

7)ironborn and redwyne fleet to combine with royal fleet to sweep stepstones of pirates! Minor dragonstone island.houses and possibly some  suitable crownland ,stormland and dornish houses to establish sucessor houses on the stepstones to finaly and firmly place it in westeros control ,firm.forts, harbours  and lighthouses to be built!

8) to let off steam in the martial culture of westeros  take the combined forces on campaigns a) the utter smashing and if possible wiping out of the vale clans, no more will trade  or just travellers leaving the vale of arryn need to fear for their lives

B)deal with the dothraki before they gain another khal drogo and  potentialy wipe out a free city (or a few of them) thus devastating trade and the economy etc. Land with the remaining  sanori settlement and sack and burn vaes dothrak to end their cultural ties, means theyl fade to nothing or a minor menace in a generation or so with no cultural anchor like the city to tie them together....ruthless but the  prospect however small of them pushing the grassy dothraki sea further and further west  by ending a few more cities  that are major trade hubs and income sources for westeros cant be tolerated!!!!

9) deal with other internal nusiances politicaly. The new established stepstones houses and harbours make threatening dorne or the vale or even the north by sea  more likely  should they get a bit rebellious.

The ironborn remain an issue so would arrange a few marriages to the more respectable ironborn  houses  for landbased lords, pay bravos and fund westeros shipbuilding to increase naval forces around the shield islands , seaguard and of course the northern fleet and harbour iv already ordered built. Maybe tie a few less respectable ironborn houses to old but poor westerosi houses (or even vice versa) so rebellion or even reaving now becomes both practicaly and politicaly awkward as hell!

Id encourage any new brides going to the islands to take septons etc with them and insist on freedom of religion and full protection for them from the drowned men!!! ...thus if the faith grows on the iron islands  thatl help too!

Ok a interesting thougth experience, so this is my take: 

1) Break the Ironborn once and for all, provoke them into rebellion or put pressure on them to have ALL they're noble kids educated on the main land, preferably near the sea so that they continue to be good sailors but really break the reaver mentality, and if push comes to shove go real hard on them and obliterated them, leaving Old Wyk empty of human life and using the ironborn in a massive projet (wich i will mention later). I know I am talking about genocide, but they have done nothing but reave, murder and rape for thousands of years, I would put a very hard stop to that, and make sure it would not happen ever again, the same way the japanese and german renounced war after WWII. 

2) Pacify the rest of the realm, especially the mountain clans and the wildlings, use the carrot and the stick, negotiate to have them settle in better lands, or in the Iron Island if they resisted and are a bit empty know, but then send yearly expedition into the mountains with knigth from all the realm to make sure that they stay in there mountains and dont bother trades along the high road. Do the same woth the wildlings have them settle the iron island or be subject to yearly military expedition to keep them in check. That would also mean using the westerosi nobility and keeping them from infigthing. If the ironborn chose the easy way then the clans could be settled else where in the kingdom.

3) Secure at least the eastern part of the Septstones and integrate them in the realm, but do it with at least one ally, my preference would be to Tyrosh, have them take the eastern stepstones and be the focus of the others city's ire, settled the island with westerosi nobility and people as well has wildlings and mountain clans. This would also mean a safer connection with the far east no longer completely under essosi control.

4) Extend the City's and towns, give a charter to Duskendale, Maidenpool, Fairmarket, Barrowton, the Shadow City, Stoney Sept, Bitter Bridge and Tumbleton. Found a city on the Mander and on Tarth. Push for trade and establish a real merchant class, give them better access to some official position and make sure the stigma of trade is no longer has big so that minor nobles or younger sons can make a living as merchants. 

5) Sponsor large enterprises, mostly by establishing a westerosi bank backed with the Lannister gold and the Faith, and use the founds to assemble large merchant fleets to the far east using the knew merchant class, once it becomes profitable maybe sponsor expeditions in the West and South, who knows what riches could be found.

6) Expand the road system, extend the Kingsroad down to the Shadow City, make a road connecting Barrowton to White Harbour, prolongue the High Road to Gulltown, extend the Sea Road up to the Twins along the sea, built a knew road from Oldtown to the Kingsroad following the Red mountains. And if I have the funds and the Ironborn rebelled, use them to built a canal between the Blue Fork and the western sea, cutting travel from the narrow sea and making it possible to sell cheap iron in the free city's. Also connect the Trident to the Blackwater if it is possible and still have enougth manpower.

7) Rebuilt Kingslanding, maybe not a white marble city or anything but at least make it a clean and not so confusing city, I mean Kingslanding is a absolute shithole, it is suppose to be a capital city and a shining jewel not a shining turd, so rebuilt and expand it a bit by sending people out of the city for sometime and building bit by bit.

8) Make the grand council a more permanent body, house it in the Dragonpit, have representative of each region nobility and merchant class to be used has a consultative body on the laws of the realm, have them rewrite the laws on the base of Jaehaery's code and with a couple foundamental law regulating the succession and the relation of the monarchy in relation to the faith.

9) Hopefully 8 will make it so that at least part of the nobility would pass quite sometime in the capital uniting it more and arrangeing mariage between far and between house to really cement a central rule.

10) If they're is still some spare cash laying around after all the expense that my project would demand, hire the Golden Company on a permanent basis, let officers have lands in the Iron Island and Stepstones and make them the core for a standing army, and also eliminating the permanent risk of having a strong and united army ready to invade to come back home.

So yeah that would be my main plan, unify the realm at the expense of my personnal power but also promoting a new merchant class to counter the nobility. Make sure that interior (ironborn and mountains clans) and exterior (wildlings and golden company) threats are pacified and included in the power structure, all the will expanding the economy to be rival multiple Essosie city's.

Well, first I’d marry someone with great genetics. Then I’d have kids, hoping for great genetics, and prioritize raising my gifted children to fit specific roles, and find ways to, er, ‘re-route’ my less gifted children. Some will go to the NW, maybe the Citadel, possibly childhood accidents, who knows.

Do I have a dragon? If not, that’s a serious ambition once I’ve established good heirs. Valyrian steel sword wouldn’t hurt if I don’t already have one. I’d probably start a bank, establish low or normal rates, and build my clientele. Meantime revenue is important, so I’d raise the levies on my barons in exchange for lowering their taxes, but raise taxes on the merchant class and lower their levy rate. Spending will emphasize building up my main castle and then bribes and such as the situation demands. 

I will inevitably either become a drunkard, contract syphilis leading to lunacy, get depressed or stressed, get seriously wounded or disfigured in a fight or random attack, burned trying to dragon, etc. so it’s best to get the gifted kids in early. Pretty soon my wife or some other loved one will either begin plotting to murder me or get murdered by someone else for pretty petty reasons. Odds of a regency are fairly high, odds of surviving same somewhat low, depends mostly on things beyond my control. 

So much else depends on the circumstances of my initial rule. And how much I’m willing to scumsave. 

Archived