NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

5 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Holy absolute shit, the refs just called a sketchy penalty that's going to permanently mar what was otherwise a really great Superbowl game. Prepare to see that left hand on the receiver's back three hundred more times.

It was a light hold indeed.

Didn’t watch…partly still in mourning, partly bad day with the girls, partly because my friends are all on this ‘league wants Mahomes’ kick that kinda saps my will to watch, etc. Just saw final score,looks like I missed a good game. 

Edited by James Arryn

Officiating was wildly inconsistent the entire game, just like we've seen all year.  The guy who held was interviewed after the game and said he held him, but he was holding all game and it wasn't getting called, lol.  KC kept lining up in the neutral zone, only really offset by the fact that the philly line was false starting every play.  Then there's the catch/no catch calls that confused everyone on the broadcast.

I thought the game was well officiated aside from that one defensive holding call.  The refs had control of the game, and it was called consistently.  Yes, they were letting some minor stuff slide, but I don't have a problem with that. 

For the game itself, hats off to the Chiefs O line and the offensive coaching staff.  They were the difference last night.  The Eagles defense was built on the D line dominating the line of scrimmage, and they simply couldn't do it.  The Chiefs had some big running plays in the second half, and Mahomes wasn't sacked all night.  Part of that is him getting rid of the ball quickly, but it's not like other teams didn't also have that game plan vs Philly.  I really didn't think that the Chiefs O line could win the battle with the Philly D line, but win they did. 

And the Chiefs coaching staff did a great job.  They identified in film that when a guy went in motion the Eagles were passing him off too early, and if he just stopped, he would be uncovered.  They ran that play and had TWO easy red zone touchdowns in the second half.  Hope Bieniemy gets a HC job this offseason. 

The Eagles offense was good enough to win.  On 9 meaningful possessions they had 35 points (4 tds, 2 fg, 2 punts, 1 turnover).  If you score 4 points a drive, you ought to win the game. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

For the game itself, hats off to the Chiefs O line and the offensive coaching staff.  They were the difference last night.  The Eagles defense was built on the D line dominating the line of scrimmage, and they simply couldn't do it.  The Chiefs had some big running plays in the second half, and Mahomes wasn't sacked all night.  Part of that is him getting rid of the ball quickly, but it's not like other teams didn't also have that game plan vs Philly.  I really didn't think that the Chiefs O line could win the battle with the Philly D line, but win they did. 

I am just now getting around to sitting down to post and this is exactly what I was going to say.  I thought before the game that Philly would dominate the game.  I based that off the fact that the Niners could not stop them to save their lives.  Couple that with the fact that the Chiefs last Super Bowl appearance involved the Bucs shredding their line in a similar fashion and I just thought it was a recipe for a big Eagles win.  Credit to the O-line and the offensive schemes.

Hope Bieniemy gets a HC job this offseason. 

Are there any jobs left?

Texans hired Ryans.
Colts just announced they are hiring Eagles offensive coordinator.
Broncos hired Payton.
Panthers filled their job but I don't remember with who.

So Cardinals?  Are they still open?

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

Man, I'm just so jealous of those OLs. I can only dream of Burrow being as clean as Mahomes/Hurts was all game.

The contrast between the amount of pressure the Chiefs got on Hurts (virtually none) and the Chiefs got on Burrow was quite noticeable. 

That said, the Bengals D line got about the same pressure as the Philly D line, which I did not expect. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

The contrast between the amount of pressure the Chiefs got on Hurts (virtually none) and the Chiefs got on Burrow was quite noticeable. 

That said, the Bengals D line got about the same pressure as the Philly D line, which I did not expect. 

I was a bit surprised as well. Bengals DL is decent (also helped by Lou's scheme) but Philly was supposed to be historically good and they just couldn't move the needle much. Major props to the Chiefs OL, which is already very good, but played out of their minds yesterday.

On officiating, the issue, like it was last year with the Bengals, is they allow the players to play and then call an automatic first down penalty in a super critical moment of the game that wasn't called once all game. You just can't do that. Games are changed by moments like that, as it was last year and this is the biggest game of all. If you don't call a defensive holding all game, don't call one on a massive third down with 2 minutes left that is SUPER weak.