NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Officiating was wildly inconsistent the entire game, just like we've seen all year.  The guy who held was interviewed after the game and said he held him, but he was holding all game and it wasn't getting called, lol.  KC kept lining up in the neutral zone, only really offset by the fact that the philly line was false starting every play.  Then there's the catch/no catch calls that confused everyone on the broadcast.

THE OFFICIATING HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER!!!

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Officiating was wildly inconsistent the entire game, just like we've seen all year.  The guy who held was interviewed after the game and said he held him, but he was holding all game and it wasn't getting called, lol.  KC kept lining up in the neutral zone, only really offset by the fact that the philly line was false starting every play.  Then there's the catch/no catch calls that confused everyone on the broadcast.

By the letter of the rule I think it was holding.  I also think it was an awful call that you can’t make in a situation like that where it basically hands a team the game.  A hold has to be egregious in that situation, and that hold was not egregious, nor was the pass even catchable regardless of the hold.

I do appreciate the guy owning up to it.  There was a lot of bad sportsmanship from eliminated teams this year and it was nice to see someone take accountability instead of blaming the refs or injuries.

Edited by briantw

And with that, another year of Pick'em is in the books.

Gold Medal: Cheatin' @Ramsay B., runaway with 177-91 and 1567 points

Silver Medal: @dbunting, 171-97 and 1504 points

Bronze Medal: Me, 166-102 and 1503 points

Sucks to be @mcbigski who finished in 5th despite picking more games correctly than me. Better luck next year, kiddo.

Saw a graphic while I was at lunch talking about off seasons for both the Super Bowl teams.

Bienemy was listed as candidate for offensive coordinator at Baltimore and somewhere else.  Not listed as a HC candidate.  At this point, I have to assume that he just interviews terribly.

The Chiefs were up by a FG  with under 2:00 to go whether the egregious call was made or not. It did make it easy to run out the clock and deny Hurts a final drive.

But we cant be sure the Chiefs wouldnt have been able to keep their drive going even minus the questionable hold call on Philly. Best case scenario Hurts was going to get the ball back deep in his territory, down 3 and maybe a minute 1:30 or so on the clock.

The momentum was totally with KC, I dont think Philly wouldve beat them even without the dubious call. Sure there was a possibility, but I dont think there was a high probability.

KC kicked the living daylights out of the Eagles coming out of that halftime. They are the fairly crowned Champions, the one call doesnt mar the result for me.

There were questionable possesion calls that went both ways earlier anyhow so Im content with the game results and feel KC wouldve also owned any possible OT just as they dominated tbat 2nd half.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Chiefs were up by a FG  with under 2:00 to go whether the egregious call was made or not. It did make it easy to run out the clock and deny Hurts a final drive.

But we cant be sure the Chiefs wouldnt have been able to keep their drive going even minus the questionable hold call on Philly. Best case scenario Hurts was going to get the ball back deep in his territory, down 3 and maybe a minute 1:30 or so on the clock.

The momentum was totally with KC, I dont think Philly wouldve beat them even without the dubious call. Sure there was a possibility, but I dont think there was a high probability.

KC kicked the living daylights out of the Eagles coming out of that halftime. They are the fairly crowned Champions, the one call doesnt mar the result for me.

There were questionable possesion calls that went both ways earlier anyhow so Im content with the game results and feel KC wouldve also owned any possible OT just as they dominated tbat 2nd half.

The call was made on 3rd down, which was an incomplete pass to stop the clock with 1:54.  If the call was not made, it's 4th down and the Chiefs almost assuredly kick the FG.  At which point Hurts and co would have ~1:45 down 3 points.

Would they have done it?  Nobody knows.  It's possible the Chiefs D gets a stop with the Eagles having more time constraints to limit their rushing threat.  It's also possible the Eagles get a fg to go to overtime, or they score a touchdown and it's the Chiefs who are scrambling to answer with under a minute left.

If the Chiefs kick the field goal there, I would rate it at something like:  Defensive stop 40%, Eagles fg => OT 40%, Eagles TD 20%.  Obviously that's just my opinion.  If it goes to OT, it's mostly a coin flip, with a small advantage KC.  So the win percentage for KC if the penalty isn't thrown is approximately 60/40, maybe 65/35.  After that penalty, it was like 98% (have to hope for a fluke fumble, a missed chip shot fg or a Chiefs player accidentally scoring a touchdown).  So that's a huge swing in the game, which sucks.  But you are correct that the Chiefs were likely to win even without the penalty, and it's hardly evidence of them not deserving to win the game.  Nowhere near the level of the Rams win over the Saints in the 2019 NFC Championship.

The Cardinals have hired Eagles DC Gannon as their head coach.  AKA the guy that Bieniemy just torched to win the Super Bowl.  Yeah that makes sense, you need a defensive guy if you want Murray to become a franchise qb. 

34 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Cardinals have hired Eagles DC Gannon as their head coach.  AKA the guy that Bieniemy just torched to win the Super Bowl.  Yeah that makes sense, you need a defensive guy if you want Murray to become a franchise qb. 

To be fair, Eagles defense was great all year. Can't make a decision based on one game, especially as being a HC is about more than Xs and Os. And selfishly, I'm super happy about that because that means Bengals keep Lou Anarumo and their entire coaching staff for yet another year of consistency.

18 minutes ago, Mexal said:

To be fair, Eagles defense was great all year. Can't make a decision based on one game, especially as being a HC is about more than Xs and Os. And selfishly, I'm super happy about that because that means Bengals keep Lou Anarumo and their entire coaching staff for yet another year of consistency.

Sure, but the Chiefs offense under Bieniemy has been the most productive offense in NFL history.  And the Chiefs latest playoff run is perhaps the strongest example yet, as I really felt that the Chiefs outcoached both the Bengals and the Eagles.  In the Owl, the offensive coaches manufactured two walk in touchdowns, and another of Kelce in single coverage against a safety with plenty of room (basically the same as uncovered). 

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Sure, but the Chiefs offense under Bieniemy has been the most productive offense in NFL history.  And the Chiefs latest playoff run is perhaps the strongest example yet, as I really felt that the Chiefs outcoached both the Bengals and the Eagles.  In the Owl, the offensive coaches manufactured two walk in touchdowns, and another of Kelce in single coverage against a safety with plenty of room (basically the same as uncovered). 

Again, I'm left thinking that he must not interview well.

There's the argument that Andy Reid is the primary offensive mind... but that doesn't stop anyone who stands next to Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVey from being hired.  :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Again, I'm left thinking that he must not interview well.

Yeah, that's probably a factor.  But who gives a shit?  This is like not drafting a guy because his combine was middling, even though he dominated college for 4 years.

There's the argument that Andy Reid is the primary offensive mind... but that doesn't stop anyone who stands next to Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVey from being hired.  :dunno: 

He would literally be the first case of this ever.  In general offensive coaches seem to get the head coach job more readily than defensive coaches, on the hope that they will be a "qb whisperer", and yet Mahomes has had unquestionably the best career start ever, and the Cardinals don't want that guy working with Murray?  WTF?  It makes no sense.  Even if you assume that racism is playing a factor in the hire (which I absolutely think it is), it is still not enough to explain why he hasn't gotten a shot. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, that's probably a factor.  But who gives a shit?  This is like not drafting a guy because his combine was middling, even though he dominated college for 4 years.

He would literally be the first case of this ever.  In general offensive coaches seem to get the head coach job more readily than defensive coaches, on the hope that they will be a "qb whisperer", and yet Mahomes has had unquestionably the best career start ever, and the Cardinals don't want that guy working with Murray?  WTF?  It makes no sense.  Even if you assume that racism is playing a factor in the hire (which I absolutely think it is), it is still not enough to explain why he hasn't gotten a shot. 

Its hard for me to play the race card as much as it once was.  Do African American coaches get the same chance as Caucasian?  I'm not naive enough to believe that, but the 49ers entire draft structure seems built upon getting comp picks for minority coaches like Ryans, Saleh, and McDaniel (who admittedly looks almost as white as me) and front office guys like Ran Carthon.  Which is what makes it even harder to understand... why did the Texans hire Lovie Smith and not Bienemy?  Anthony Lynn at the Chargers?  etc.

If you're a team honestly giving minority head coaches a real look... why not Bienemy?  That's what has me confused.

I get the impression that in order to get a HC job as a black candidate you need a great resume and a great interview, whereas white candidates only need one of those. 

As for whether black coaches get the same chances as white ones, it's obvious the answer is no and Bieniemy is far from the only example.  Middling white coaches like Jack Del Rio (12 years as a head coach at 2 franchises, 3 playoff appearances and zero wins) or Joe Barry (3 different stints as a defensive coordinator, but never actually led a good defense) get chance after chance, but at most organizations black coaches struggle to ever get that big promotion to coordinator or HC.    

With the Cardinals, the problem is the Bidwells, who operate on the opposite end of the family-run NFL team spectrum of success from the Rooneys and Steelers.

So it could be penny-pinching, racism or stupidity, or a combination thereof!  I have no evidence to support such a supposition, but on the other hand, please note that the Arizona Cardinals do not seem to have the world's greatest organization.

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

The Eagles were a bit of smoke and mirrors. They feasted on a lot of subpar QBs and offenses. They got smoked basically every time they faced a top 10ish QB.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Yea, it doesn't make much sense. I agree that Bieniemy should absolutely be getting a shot but for some reason, just not materializing and I don't know why. Maybe it's interviewing, maybe it's other things we just don't understand, I really can't say. Because you're right, that offense and Mahomes development has been exceptional and he deserves a shot. Given Reid is one of the best offensive minds ever, how could you not want a guy who's developed under him?

Personally, if your choice is between Anarumo and Gannon, I would have chosen the former. Anarumo has become famous for adjusting during the game flow while it was clear it went the opposite for Gannon. Plus, Gannon was working with significantly more talent. I never felt, in any of our games against KC, that we were out coached. 

Anyway, I'm super happy that the Bengals managed to keep the entire coaching staff together for a 5th consecutive year and with 45m in cap space, this is the year they should go all in. Will they? Probably not but they should.

Edited by Mexal