NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

Bengals sign Orlando Brown to a 4 year, $64 million deal.  That's a bit lower than the typical $/year for a good left tackle, but it is 68% fully guaranteed, which was obviously a priority for Brown. 

Brown was great for the Chiefs the past two years.  The only concern is why the Chiefs didn't want to resign him (instead looking elsewhere).  But assuming that he doesn't have any issues, this looks like a great signing.  The Bengals O line was better last year, but there was still plenty of room for improvement. 

37 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Bengals sign Orlando Brown to a 4 year, $64 million deal.  That's a bit lower than the typical $/year for a good left tackle, but it is 68% fully guaranteed, which was obviously a priority for Brown. 

Brown was great for the Chiefs the past two years.  The only concern is why the Chiefs didn't want to resign him (instead looking elsewhere).  But assuming that he doesn't have any issues, this looks like a great signing.  The Bengals O line was better last year, but there was still plenty of room for improvement. 

Highest signing bonus in the history of the league for an offensive lineman ($31 million). The Bengals have totally changed the way they operate over the past couple years and I absolutely love it. 

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Highest signing bonus in the history of the league for an offensive lineman ($31 million). The Bengals have totally changed the way they operate over the past couple years and I absolutely love it. 

It is interesting how some players seem really interested in higher annual salary vs other who want the guaranteed money.  For teams, you are giving up some flexibility by guaranteeing money, but if you can get a pro bowl player for cheaper than usual, I can see the appeal going down that road. 

Brown is a great signing for Bengals. He’s not the best LT in the league but he significantly elevates the floor and ceiling of the OL. Surprised Bengals did this with Jonah at LT but get it given his injury issues. If they move him to RT, that might work out better than what they have. Still need to draft someone.

18 hours ago, dbunting said:

Something is brewing in Dallas. They have cut Zeke and restructured a lot of players contracts to free up more money than it appears they need. A big FA or trade for a big name WR? Getting the Diggs new contract done? Not sure but it really seems like they are gearing up for something. 

There has been a lot of speculation that they may try and trade for a receiver like Mike Evans or Jerry Jeudy, or a tight end like Kyle Pitts. Tee Higgins and Stefon Diggs have also been mentioned but I find those two highly unlikely.

They have to be careful because they have 3 star players who will be up for paydays in the next couple of years: Trevon Diggs, CeeDee Lamb, and Micah Parsons. Those guys are the young core of the team and they can ill afford to lose them because of the cap. Jerrah is a big mouth but he is right once in a while. He said that the Eagles built their team for a 1 year championship window and now most of their defense will be gone this offseason. He said he didn't want to do that, he wanted a long term window.

I also really liked the Gilmore trade and the Wilson and Vander Esch re-signings. They are really close to having a championship level defense. If they could get a pass rushing defensive tackle in the draft, they would be set.

5 hours ago, Trebla said:

I also really liked the Gilmore trade and the Wilson and Vander Esch re-signings. They are really close to having a championship level defense. If they could get a pass rushing defensive tackle in the draft, they would be set.

That and a RB and legit #2 WR.  They cannot go into next season relying on Pollard to carry even 65% of the load, he isn't that guy and the Dallas offense has worked best when the running game is working. Maybe with McCarthy at the helm that will change but I am not happy with the RB's right now.

On 3/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, Mexal said:

Brown is a great signing for Bengals. He’s not the best LT in the league but he significantly elevates the floor and ceiling of the OL. Surprised Bengals did this with Jonah at LT but get it given his injury issues. If they move him to RT, that might work out better than what they have. Still need to draft someone.

Williams has already requested to be traded so I guess they have some work to do repairing the relationship if they want him to move spots.

14 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

Williams has already requested to be traded so I guess they have some work to do repairing the relationship if they want him to move spots.

I think they're going to trade him. Reality is that Jonah doesn't want to be a RT. The money differential is fairly large and he's spent his entire career in NFL at LT. 

For the Bengals, best case scenario is to trade him for a mid round pick, get the $12m off the books for his 5th year option and draft Dawand Jones, Darnell Wright or Anton Harrison at #28. All three would elevate our OL.

Have to like what the Lions are doing. They had a legit top 10 offense last year but a horrible defense and still almost made the playoffs. They have gone out and signed two top FA CB's and a top safety. Assume that they are drafting the top DT/DE available to pair up on the line with Hutchinson and that defense could be top half of the league if all the new bodies mesh together.  

10 minutes ago, grozeng said:

Is that in regards to Elijah Moore?  If so, he is pretty good.  I think a 2nd is not bad for him and 3rd.  

Yeah, it was just the response from the Cowboys blog account that made me laugh.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, it was just the response from the Cowboys blog account that made me laugh.

I misread it.  I thoiught it was saying the Browns lost the trade.  I think it's pretty even or slightly in the Browns favor.  I do appreciate the Cowboys response too though.

Bur I also think the extra 2nd will help get Rodgers done.

Edited by grozeng

9 minutes ago, grozeng said:

I misread it.  I thoiught it was saying the Browns lost the trade.  I think it's pretty even or slightly in the Browns favor.  I do appreciate the Cowboys response too though.

Bur I also think the extra 2nd will help get Rodgers done.

I was a big fan of Moore as a prospect two years ago.  He's the guy I wanted the Browns to trade for, and I figured he'd come quite a bit cheaper than Jeudy would despite being a prospect I'd view on a similar tier.  Jeudy was a little better but not absurdly so.

Plus Moore is on a dirt cheap deal for the next two years.

Yeah, I liked Moore.  But with Hardman coming to the team, the Jets just basically moved up from a 3rd rounder to a 2nd rounder for a guy that probably wasn't going to play much anymore.  So not bad.  I think Moore got the short end of the straw last year and should have played much more, but he fell out of favor for some reason.

Just wanna say I love being a Niners fan with ShanaLynch ninjaing the best available free agent in Javon Hargrave despite their financial difficulties on a cap hit this year of only $6.6 million.  They lost SO many guys in the first wave of free agency, but have replenished the depth without breaking the bank while also accruing a ridiculous amount of comp picks next year even if that formula continues to be opaque. 

Teams are only allowed four, and they should have a 3rd, 5th, and two 6ths next year.  And with restructures they still have room to add in the minimal areas they need to augment outside the draft.  When Shanahan got hired I figured Lynch was just a nepotism-ish hire, but along with Marathe he's established the most sustainable best roster in the league.  Usually like to whine about my team's moves, but they are rather unassailable.  Just need a QB to be healthy in January.

I don't know what the Ravens are doing.  If they want him back, then this has obviously gone wrong.  If they wanted to trade him, his value has dropped in the past couple of months.  Really doesn't add up to me.