NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Because the Ravens want to be a running centric team, so you aren't going to get nearly as many targets (and therefore stats) as you would else.  Also because the Ravens never sign big name receivers.  The last one was...Boldin in 2010 (and he wasn't a WR1 in Arizona). 

When WR's don't want to play with a QB I see that as a huge red flag. I see missing 4-6 games two years in a row for knee injuries for a running QB a glaring red flag. BTW when I saw want to play I mean you don't see social media posts from OBJ or other big name WR's listing the Ravens or tagging Jackson saying come get me.

I'll say this again, if I was Baltimore I'd offer 2-3 years at 50 mill per year fully guaranteed. No way I'd do a long term deal fully guaranteed. If these last few years are a fluke he can get another bigger contract in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

When WR's don't want to play with a QB I see that as a huge red flag.

Do we know it's him specifically? I've always viewed it more as not wanting to play in a system that's going to suppress their stats and thus their ability to cash in. That's why I brought up the lack of stretching the field vertically despite it being one of Lamar's strengths. 

Will say - which I implied earlier - while I think Jackson makes ZERO sense for the NIners, that doesn't preclude him from making tons of sense to plenty of other QB-needy teams.  If I was rebuilding and had the cap room - which describes at least a handful of teams at the moment - he's still a very attractive option.

This actually, ironically, may be similar to ShanaLynch's original mistake in their first draft - focusing on Solomon Thomas then DeShaun Foster when perhaps they should have focused on acquiring a quarterback in the draft even if they weren't enthused with Mitch Trubisky (obviously, rightly so).  Instead, they went into their first season with Brian Hoyer and third-round pick CJ Beathard as their "QB room."

The last pass is a perfect bomb. The Ravens should be calling a similar play five times a game. Instead maybe they call it five times in a month. But regardless, while I'm not going to argue Lamar has the most elite are (neither does Burrow or Hurts btw), he's got a legit NFL arm and throws some beautiful passes (which his subpar receivers cannot bring in). 

Not exactly a hot take, but I assume that Rodgers will get settled before the draft, because the Packers want picks this year.  And Jackson offers will pick up after the draft, because why give up a pick this year when you can push it back a year?

43 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Not exactly a hot take, but I assume that Rodgers will get settled before the draft, because the Packers want picks this year.  And Jackson offers will pick up after the draft, because why give up a pick this year when you can push it back a year?

Maybe Lamar is done? Callin' it quits? Wouldn't be the first time the league blackballed a motherfucker for not falling in step. 

Then again the season is like literally a half-a-year away so what's the rush to decide today?

14 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Maybe Lamar is done? Callin' it quits? Wouldn't be the first time the league blackballed a motherfucker for not falling in step. 

Then again the season is like literally a half-a-year away so what's the rush to decide today?

Am I missing something, or are you comparing Jackson to Kaepernick?  Stand for something, even if it costs you everything but your 8 figure shoe contract guy?

As far as I know, Lamar Jackson is strictly having a monetary conflict with the Ravens.  

I assume the sharpest teams are already doing this, but assessing ego and insecurity in your starting quarterback probably has value.  

Not sure where the Lamar is calling it quits vibe is coming from but I can give full respect to anyone that can walk away after their rookie contract.  It's really only life changing money if you make changes.  Anyone who earns 8 figures or more and doesn't piss away fuck you money, I respect if they're not bitching about how unfair the system is.

Edited by mcbigski

12 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Am I missing something, or are you comparing Jackson to Kaepernick?  Stand for something, even if it costs you everything but your 8 figure shoe contract guy?

As far as I know, Lamar Jackson is strictly having a monetary conflict with the Ravens.  

I assume the sharpest teams are already doing this, but assessing ego and insecurity in your starting quarterback probably has value.  

Not sure where the Lamar is calling it quits vibe is coming from but I can give full respect to anyone that can walk away after their rookie contract.  It's really only life changing money if you make changes.  Anyone who earns 8 figures or more and doesn't piss away fuck you money, I respect if they're not bitching about how unfair the system is.

I like real motherfuckers. It ain't gotta be any more than that. 

By the standards of the almighty 'market' I hear so fucking much about, he DESERVES it. He's worth more. 

He's standing against billionaires. This is football. He makes his own life choices. I'm rooting for entertainment. This entertains me greatly. 

19 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Reportedly the Ravens offered OBJ a contract last week.

Supposedly he’s asking for fifteen million, which is insane for a guy who hasn’t been good in half a decade and is coming off two ACL tears in two years.  

This thread is reaching the end of its life, so one of the items that should mark its passing is the news that the Bidwells are bad owners, and the Arizona Cardinals are run in a bush-league manner.

https://defector.com/the-arizona-cardinals-have-a-nasty-workplace-scandal-of-their-own

This is one of the two founding teams of the league still in existence, yet it has only won a single championship (1947).  The Defector article above does the best job of summarizing the complaint without over-emphasizing the personalities involved.

34 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This thread is reaching the end of its life, so one of the items that should mark its passing is the news that the Bidwells are bad owners, and the Arizona Cardinals are run in a bush-league manner.

https://defector.com/the-arizona-cardinals-have-a-nasty-workplace-scandal-of-their-own

This is one of the two founding teams of the league still in existence, yet it has only won a single championship (1947).  The Defector article above does the best job of summarizing the complaint without over-emphasizing the personalities involved.

Not everyone was born to be a fan of the Dayton Triangles or the Rochester Jeffersons...

On 4/3/2023 at 6:31 PM, briantw said:

Supposedly he’s asking for fifteen million, which is insane for a guy who hasn’t been good in half a decade and is coming off two ACL tears in two years.  

They ponied up for him.

"The deal is worth up to $18 million and includes $15 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter."

Gotta ask whom do they think is going to be throwing to him without Lamar?

On 4/7/2023 at 4:40 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Is now not the time for Joe Burrow to ask for $300M fully guaranteed? 

He can ask for it but the Bengals won't give it to him. They don't have the capacity to put 300m in escrow. Bengals will likely get a deal done for 4-5 years at around 55m per. I suspect he gets a decent guarantee but it won't be fully.

Edited by Mexal

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

He can ask for it but the Bengals won't give it to him. They don't have the capacity to put 300m in escrow. Bengals will likely get a deal done for 4-5 years at around 55m per. I suspect he gets a decent guarantee but it won't be fully.

They absolutely do have the ability to put that into escrow. The problem for the majority owner then becomes that they need to sell shares, likely to a minority owner who is far more wealthy. 

And really, why not fully guarantee it to make Burrow happy? They're going to pay every cent of it anyways unless he suffers a career ending injury, which they'll be insured for.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They absolutely do have the ability to put that into escrow. The problem for the majority owner then becomes that they need to sell shares, likely to a minority owner who is far more wealthy. 

And really, why not fully guarantee it to make Burrow happy? They're going to pay every cent of it anyways unless he suffers a career ending injury, which they'll be insured for.

Because they don't have to put it in escrow. I don't know how the Bengals are set up but they're a small market team with a single family ownership. They don't have 300m cash flow they can just put in escrow. They aren't owned by a hedge fund CEO, consortium or the Walmart family.

Also, they, like all the owners, don't want to guarantee contracts because you start with Burrow then you have to do it for WRs then DEs then LTs and so on. It's a slippery slope that doesn't end well for the teams, especially when players get long term injuries every year and don't manage to live up to their contracts. For a game like football, where long term injuries are so prevalant and deterioration of play drops off a cliff instantly (normally aligned with age and injury history), guaranteeing life of contracts at the dollar amounts players are making is just insane.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Because they don't have to put it in escrow. I don't know how the Bengals are set up but they're a small market team with a single family ownership. They don't have 300m cash flow they can just put in escrow. They aren't owned by a hedge fund CEO, consortium or the Walmart family.

Market size matters the least in the NFL. Teams from all the other sports can lose money in a given year or two, but the increase in the value of the organization offsets it. NFL make a ton of money each year even if they're trash. 

And besides, cost of labor on the field is not an actual issue. The sport is structured so it cannot be. Well, unless you're Mark Davis, then it is. 

Also, they, like all the owners, don't want to guarantee contracts because you start with Burrow then you have to do it for WRs then DEs then LTs and so on. It's a slippery slope that doesn't end well for the teams, especially when players get long term injuries every year and don't manage to live up to their contracts. For a game like football, where long term injuries are so prevalant and deterioration of play drops off a cliff instantly (normally aligned with age and injury history), guaranteeing life of contracts at the dollar amounts players are making is just insane.

Who cares what these tax thieves want? We should all be rooting for the players in labor negotiations.