NFL next- The Superb Owl you hate

DireWolfSpirit

Okay... now that's a deceiving headline that just popped up in my suggested search:

Report: Buccaneers Eyeing 2-Time Super Bowl Winning Quarterback as Replacement for Tom Brady

So obviously I start thinking "Who could that be?" then I click on the article:

2-time Super Bowl winning quarterback appears to be on the radar for the Buccaneers as a possible replacement for Tom Brady.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers find themselves in a precarious situation when it comes to who they will go with to replace Tom Brady as the team's starting quarterback now that Brady has sailed away into retirement.

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, the Bucs plan to "retool while still competing," with a number of options available to fill the void left by Brady, including soon to be free agent Jimmy Garoppolo.

WTF man.  That's kind of a reach, don't you think?  :lol:

I saw something boasting about how great Brady was - at the time of his retirement, he was the only quarterback with multiple SB rings as a starter. 

So with the headline of multiple SB ring QB, if you AREN'T going the clickbait way, the only guys who could fit that Mahomes or one of the Manning brothers coming out of retirement.  None of those seem likely. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I saw something boasting about how great Brady was - at the time of his retirement, he was the only quarterback with multiple SB rings as a starter. 

So with the headline of multiple SB ring QB, if you AREN'T going the clickbait way, the only guys who could fit that Mahomes or one of the Manning brothers coming out of retirement.  None of those seem likely. 

It could mean Roethlisberger, which seems a little more plausible than the Mannings.

It is bullshit.  And if you're going to change, why go from KC to Washington?!  What a downgrade.

For anyone who cares, NFL films got a better angle of the holding penalty at the end of the SB.  It looks like a lot more of a real hold there.  Not something that gets called every time, but if the ref sees you pulling jersey like that, he's gonna throw the flag most of the time.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

It is bullshit.  And if you're going to change, why go from KC to Washington?!  What a downgrade.

He probably feels like his only path is proving it away from Mahomes and Reid. 

For anyone who cares, NFL films got a better angle of the holding penalty at the end of the SB.  It looks like a lot more of a real hold there.  Not something that gets called every time, but if the ref sees you pulling jersey like that, he's gonna throw the flag most of the time.

It was a hold. However, DBs were doing that throughout the game and no flags were thrown. The inconsistency has to maddening for the players. 

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Even from that angle it’s marginal. It’s still within 5 yards it looks like and he is barely slowed down and the ball was like 10 yards too far. And as others point out, it’s about consistency. In the biggest moment of the game, you blow a whistle on something that happened multiple times throughout the game.

Also, the flag wasn’t thrown when the shirt was grabbed, it was thrown pretty much after the play was over. Finally, pretty clear hands to the face on that play too.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:02 AM, briantw said:

He gets to call plays in Washington.

Yeah but he's going to be stuck in what has been a dysfunctional failure factory since Snyder bought the team.  I guess if the offense really turns into something special that will get him a head coaching job but it seems more likely that Washington will drag him down and then he's worse off going forward.

Washington is about to be sold, possibly within the next month.  So the stain of Snyder's ownership will soon be gone, and good riddance. 

The problem is that in the short term, the team is in limbo.  Rivera knows that the new owner will probably want a fresh start and at the least will have no loyalty to him.  Washington isn't in a position to draft a top QB prospect and is unlikely to make a move up to change that under so much uncertainty.  Which probably means one game wonder Sam Howell (2022 fifth round pick) is the starter, possibly competing with some veteran backup.  Howell had a good game against Dallas, but it was a mostly meaningless game for them, and a single game just doesn't mean much.  We'll see if Bieniemy can make things easier for him.

Edited by Maithanet

On 2/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Talk of the day seems to be the Bears might draft Young and trade Fields. If they do that it will be one of the dumbest moves ever made. 

The Bears sent a first or second rounder to move up one spot so that they could Trubisky instead of Mahomes.  Check your math.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, Rhom said:

Okay... now that's a deceiving headline that just popped up in my suggested search:

Report: Buccaneers Eyeing 2-Time Super Bowl Winning Quarterback as Replacement for Tom Brady

So obviously I start thinking "Who could that be?" then I click on the article:

WTF man.  That's kind of a reach, don't you think?  :lol:

Wait, Eli is going to retire from those Caesar's commercials to play again?

19 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

The Bears sent a first or second rounder to move up one spot so that they could Trubisky instead of Mahomes.  Check your math.

Not sure that's entirely fair. I went and looked at two mocks for that year's draft and both had Trubisky as the first and Mahomes as the third QB taken and later than he actually was. One mentioned rumors that some teams thought he might fall into the second round. The Bears mistake was that they took Trubisky over Watson. I never understood that decision given how good Watson was in both championship games. All I really knew about Mahomes going into the draft was that one blurb referred to him as a "likeable Jay Cutler." That still cracks me up (and it's true, their physical skills sets and body types are very similar). 

Edited by Tywin et al.

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

All I really knew about Mahomes going into the draft was that one blurb referred to him as a "likeable Jay Cutler." That still cracks me up (and it's true, their physical skills sets and body types are very similar). 

A likeable Jay Cutler is funny as hell.  My point on that trade is that if you have 2 QBs on your board that are basically the same tier, you don't pay at all to trade up one spot.  But Chicago overspent, when they likely would have gotten Mitch anyway.

Not sure how much NFL GMs are applying probability models to their draft picks.  I assume they're doing it a fair amount.  But if your model says it's worth that trade up, maybe check you math going forward.