Ranking the best fighters of Asoiaf !!!

King Jaehaerys II

15 hours ago, King Jaehaerys II said:

1: Arthur Dayne 

2: Barristan Selmy 

3: Jaime Lannister 

4: Daemon Blackfyre 

5: Aemon Targaryen (dragonknight)

I find it very difficult to rank the top 10 fighters so I am waiting for you guys,  to make your own lists (top 10) !!!

Top 2 look good in a top 5 with Aemond. Jaime excellent training every day with 2 greats but hard to say if he was as good as many other excellent fighters of their generation. Was it Cregan Stark that Aemon said was the best he faced?  What puts Daemon on the list?  I’ll have to reread his part.
I dunno about Robert, certainly powerful and good fighter but not sure if he’s in top 5 or 10. 
I suppose only the last 300 years is really fleshed out so small sample size. Daemon Targaryen, Criston Cole and others from fire and blood need more consideration maybe.

always fun to debate

I’m not too great with history so with the exception of Arthur Dayne, cannot comment on anyone pre- AGoT and so what I will say is that the below three have such different fighting styles that they in turn create a Rock-Paper-Scissors of fighters.

1. Barristan Selmy - in his prime is currently the best natural swordsman that is currently alive. He’s like the Count Dooku of Westeros, followed closely by Jaime (2-hand). He is scissors

2. The Mountain - although not a natural swordsman, his brute strength and toughness alone is enough to best both Barristan and Jaime I would say. And out of the classically tough characters, I would say he’d overpower them all (discounting literal giants) He is rock

3. Oberyn Martell - I think he is one of few people who could beat the Mountain and solely based on the fact that no one else has beat the Mountain yet, I would rank him as top of the flexible / agile fighter. He can dance around the Mountain and slay him at the right time, although put him up against Barristan or Jaime and I think he would lose. Yes I know i said he beat the Mountain, which he did, he could have finished him off but was too cocky as he was too focused on the confession instead of actually finishing him off. He is paper

Hard to say we know of all the tourney winners  who jamie thinks are best and the few top tier  names grmm is always asked about  so theres the normal names of the very best we always mention = dayne, mountain, robert, rhaegar , barristan, hound,jamie, loras (not the tv loras but book loras grmm has confirmed as being one of the best warriors and strongest fighters etc)

but theres soo many black sheep such as

Great and small jon umber: hardened warriors both and greatjob almost as big as the mountain 

Victorian: was once the best ironborn warrior (might even still be) huge and strong and now with killer kung fu grip smoky arm!

Qarl the maid: described as one of the ironborns fiercest..slim swimmers physique but based on interactions and brief combat is very quick and capable

Andrik the unsmiling: a giant of a man....the singers all describe him as the ironborns very best , also as a house drumm captain could borrow v.steel sword red rain to really f people up.

Lyn corbray: has a v steel sword , thin but when the trial by combat was going on said the gods often favour the best swordsman and suggested that everyone knew it was him.

Bronze royce: winner of the current years melee, old but big and apparently a decent melee scrapper.

Willas tyrell: bigger than his brother and apparently better with a sword

Brandon stark: ned describes as the swordsman of the family... almost killing lf  is no real feat but he did feel confident enough that he was rhaegars equal and in that society  where lords spar in the yard etc that confidence has to be comming from a good general idea of where he realisticly stands!

Strongboar : jamie feels this brute is around the hounds level (who hes keen to find)  but a little slower and less vicious thus it would prob be the difference if he squared off with the hound...that said jamie may be underestimating the  potential viciousness of the man in front of him

The knight harrlaw: v.steel.sword and kicked serious ass at the shield islands

Bronn: everyones fav sellsword, tyrion says hes almost as good as jamie with a blade...may be potentialy better who knows

Luthor brune: littlefingers awnser to bronn, earns himself the name appleeater in badass fashion at the blackwater cutting through fossaways like paper

Hotah: huge and has sworn a life of training  to serve with his greataxe...no other distractions , gotta be a threat to anyone.

Balom swann: big and young , apparently excwptional with a bow but also very good with lance and morningstar (a great  weapon to even odds vs bigger guys like the mountain with!)

Daario: hated among the fanbase and rightly soo BUT he lives in a world (sellswords/mercs)  where flamboyant b.s gets called out very quickly and hes still alive chasing duels thus hes gotta be good at what he does...annoying as his appearance and quotes are!

Darkstar: euughhh arianne felt this guy was a match for any kingsguard...gotta be based on something surely shes no simple maid to think that based on his talk alone

The red viper : nuff said

Brienne: kinda relucant to put her here..she did survive to the last 2 of the  huge bitterbridge melee and beat loras (if by suprise) got a draw vs a weakend hands bound  jamie and it all goes downhill from there for her fighting record

Hard to say, but I guess Daario or Strong Belwas . because both had fought in the pits. (wait, was it show Dario or book Daario?)

in Westeros it's even harder to say. but I'm gonna say Daemon Blackfyre was the best fighter. he was half-believed to be the Warrior's son before Aegon the lusty claimed him after all!  

9 minutes ago, KingStoneheart said:

Alt Shift X is my favourite YouTuber for any ASOIAF videos. Everything is so in-depth and fairly balanced. Feels like a proper un-biased assessment of every popular theory

"The kitten Ser Pounce has the impressive combat feat of scaring off Balerion, a notably fearsome tomcat. However, Ser Pounce fails to prevent Lady Whiskers from stealing his mouse, so Ser Pounce's combat record is mixed at best".

You just can't top that.

1 minute ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

"The kitten Ser Pounce has the impressive combat feat of scaring off Balerion, a notably fearsome tomcat. However, Ser Pounce fails to prevent Lady Whiskers from stealing his mouse, so Ser Pounce's combat record is mixed at best".

Lady Whiskers confirmed best fighter in Westeros.

Just now, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I know it's the nerdiest of nerdy questions, but why would a cat as savage as Balerion be scared of a kitten like like Ser Pounce, when not even Lady Whiskers is scared of him?

Because Ser Pounce is a knight and knights slay dragons. Whereas Lady Whiskers is not scared of Ser Pounce because she knows he's trying to win her favour. ;)

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

Hard to say, but I guess Daario or Strong Belwas . because both had fought in the pits. (wait, was it show Dario or book Daario?)

in Westeros it's even harder to say. but I'm gonna say Daemon Blackfyre was the best fighter. he was half-believed to be the Warrior's son before Aegon the lusty claimed him after all!  

Show daario wasin the pits as they didnt have a strong belwas :( ,book daario was never a pitfighter  just enjoys killing his fellow sellswords (so must be decent to have remained so arrogant and not have the cockyness punched and stabbed outta him!) 

Belwas was in the pits yes but we dont know for sure  how hed do vs  full armoured knight  we can assume yes the pits do  sometimes have them.....  logicaly it wouldnt make sense for the westerosi style knight sellswords to not have tried their hand making  hard cash in the pits  !!!! but the young gladiator selmy fought hadnt experienced an opp in full armour now that doesnt mean they dont go in the pits it could be simply  that particualar gladiator may not have encountered any.

that said belwas habit of lettting someome get 1st cut in might not be the brightest move vs say the mountain or hound!!!!

1 hour ago, KingStoneheart said:

Alt Shift X is my favourite YouTuber for any ASOIAF videos. Everything is so in-depth and fairly balanced. Feels like a proper un-biased assessment of every popular theory

I 100% agree! He looks at the likeliness of a theory being try based on what we have on the text as well as wether it makes sense with the the character(s) involved. He also looks at how a certain theory fits the narrative and if that makes sense too which is what I really like. He basically discards a theory if it doesn’t add anything to the narrative and then really supports on if it adds to it. 

42 minutes ago, Bendric Dayne said:

I 100% agree! He looks at the likeliness of a theory being try based on what we have on the text as well as wether it makes sense with the the character(s) involved. He also looks at how a certain theory fits the narrative and if that makes sense too which is what I really like. He basically discards a theory if it doesn’t add anything to the narrative and then really supports on if it adds to it. 

"Darkstar is said to be the most dangerous man in Dorne. He is also the edgiest emo in Dorne".

I guess the verdict is officially in, then.

Archived