Winds of Winter - Narrator

KingStoneheart

With Roy Dotrice sadly passing away a few years ago, who does everyone want to narrate the Winds of Winter when they are released and should they re-do books 1-5 with this new narrator?

Personally, to give it that personal GoT touch once again (after all, Roy did play the Pyromancher in Season 2) it would be nice to have an actor from the show do it. I wasn't too big a fan of Harry Lloyd doing the Dunk and Egg books, but do think Charles Dance or Iain Glen could read it perfectly.

If not going down the GoT casting route, then I vote Simon Vance who done Fire and Blood.

When you listen to a book with that many characters and female characters in particular you have to have more than one.  No one can do what Dotrice did.  I know.  I listen to a lot of audio books.  I think Winds will require a cast to do Dotrice justice and to be honest, to do the story justice.  That said if they go cheap and there is no reason in the world to do so, I hope they end up with someone who has an easy listening voice.  I couldn't take 40 hours of Harry Lloyd.  I just couldn't.  Iain Glen, Charles Dance, Simon Vance, sure, any day of the week, give Dance my personal cell number.  Dinklage did a documentary on Netflix and it was great.  Could he pull it off?  I think he could.  Just heard Idris Elba narrate a docuseries.  Great voice.  In fact, give him my personal cell number, too.  

11 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I think the people who work in this field know what they're doing and will figure out a way. B)

Ah c'mon, remember when Dotrice would get either drunk or really tired and do the Dany character in Dance?  He was great, but this is a giant story.  No accusation here I am not sure what caused the voice to get so um, really out of character, just guessing.  For the most part, the performances was award winning in my estimation.  And it's ok for me to fantasize about Idris and Dance reading stuff at night to me while I drift off to sleep.  

3 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Finding a suitable narrator for a book should be much easier, though.

Even harder because result is much more subjective, not to mention that audiobook producers are generally less intelligent than physicians.

On 2/6/2023 at 9:38 PM, Curled Finger said:

When you listen to a book with that many characters and female characters in particular you have to have more than one.  No one can do what Dotrice did.  I know.  I listen to a lot of audio books.  I think Winds will require a cast to do Dotrice justice and to be honest, to do the story justice.  That said if they go cheap and there is no reason in the world to do so, I hope they end up with someone who has an easy listening voice.  I couldn't take 40 hours of Harry Lloyd.  I just couldn't.  Iain Glen, Charles Dance, Simon Vance, sure, any day of the week, give Dance my personal cell number.  Dinklage did a documentary on Netflix and it was great.  Could he pull it off?  I think he could.  Just heard Idris Elba narrate a docuseries.  Great voice.  In fact, give him my personal cell number, too.  

Completely agree!! I listened to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms purely because it was ASOIAF, and to be honest I do like Harry Lloyd but he’s just not a great Audible reader unfortunately!

I’d personally not think Dinklage would be the greatest either? Although I’ve not listened to that documentary you’re speaking about.

14 minutes ago, KingStoneheart said:

Completely agree!! I listened to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms purely because it was ASOIAF, and to be honest I do like Harry Lloyd but he’s just not a great Audible reader unfortunately!

I’d personally not think Dinklage would be the greatest either? Although I’ve not listened to that documentary you’re speaking about.

It on Netflix.  How to be a tyrant maybe.  He's great.  I knew it was him immediately.  He's got an easy and engaging voice to listen to.  

Archived