HOTD Musings

(I posted this in the wrong thread by accident.)

Side note: a while back I said that I thought Amanda Seyfried looked like a Targaryen (very close to how I picture Rhaenys) but that I’d only seen her in comedies and didn’t know if she had the acting chops for a role like that. After watching The Drop Out, I’d say she’s actually pretty goddamn incredible, and would make a great Targ in one of the spin-off shows.

20 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Do people want her played by a younger actress? I was under the impression that most book fans were afraid they’d do that. Then again, GOT/HOTD has a lot of thirsty fans who probably think someone can’t still be attractive once they hit 30. (For the record, I once saw some YouTubers complaining that Emilia was “too old” by around S7).

Some fans were afraid they would age her down, but others sound like they'd prefer it that way. There have also been many fancasts of 20-something actresses. And here's a lot of HotD stans on Twitter who hate on Alys because they ship Aemond with one of his relatives (usually Helaena or Lucerys) and call her an old hag, among other things. In response to that, some fans who want her on the show called them out on ageism and sexism, but I also see some fans going "well your complaints are invalid, she is probably going to be played by an actress the same age as Ewan, because she's said to look younger!"

I've seen people say that Emily would be great because she looks younger than her age (38) so it wouldn't be too jarring to see her with Ewan. Which I find funny since I think she looks her age. People just seem to have a very warped idea of what women that age look like. 

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

Some fans were afraid they would age her down, but others sound like they'd prefer it that way. There have also been many fancasts of 20-something actresses. And here's a lot of HotD stans on Twitter who hate on Alys because they ship Aemond with one of his relatives (usually Helaena or Lucerys) and call her an old hag, among other things. In response to that, some fans who want her on the show called them out on ageism and sexism, but I also see some fans going "well your complaints are invalid, she is probably going to be played by an actress the same age as Ewan, because she's said to look younger!"

I've seen people say that Emily would be great because she looks younger than her age (38) so it wouldn't be too jarring to see her with Ewan. Which I find funny since I think she looks her age. People just seem to have a very warped idea of what women that age look like. 

The HOTD fandom seems way bigger on shipping than the GOT fandom was (online, that is). I can already imagine all the hate Nettles is going to get from the crazier Daemyra shippers.

19 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The HOTD fandom seems way bigger on shipping than the GOT fandom was (online, that is). I can already imagine all the hate Nettles is going to get from the crazier Daemyra shippers.

There are already some people on Twitter making threads about why Nettles should be cut.

The shipping seemed to become big in the late seasons of GoT. I wasn't even watching the show at that point, but I know how huge the whole Jonsa vs Jonerys mess was. It became this big Dany vs Sansa Team thing where the fandom is still making it look like you can't like both of these characters. And the consequences are still there - now the fandom on Twiter is projecting Dany onto Rhaenyra and Sansa onto Alicent and having round 2 of their old beefs.

Edited by Annara Snow

On 2/15/2023 at 10:52 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

(I posted this in the wrong thread by accident.)

Side note: a while back I said that I thought Amanda Seyfried looked like a Targaryen (very close to how I picture Rhaenys) but that I’d only seen her in comedies and didn’t know if she had the acting chops for a role like that. After watching The Drop Out, I’d say she’s actually pretty goddamn incredible, and would make a great Targ in one of the spin-off shows.

Speaking of casting, Gabriella Wilde should play a female Lannister. ASAP.

19 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Which has been a bigger hit for HBO so far, HOTD or TLOU?

In terms of viewership, House of the Dragon did better than The Last of Us in the US, but that could change quickly.

With each episode of The Last of Us, the number of viewers increases, while it was not the case with House of the Dragon - where the number kept hovering around 9-10 million US viewers on the first day of each new episode. The Last of Us has extraordinarily long legs.

However, we have no concrete figures of how The Last of Us is doing outside the US. House of the Dragon outperformed Game of Thrones season 8 overseas in terms of viewership numbers and is now the most popular HBO show in foreign regions. Game of Thrones was extraordinarily popular outside the US back then, and it was probably the first HBO show to fully break through in Europe (because the show was less American-centric than many other HBO shows). I'm not sure The Last of Us will reach similar numbers in these regions as GOT and HOTD did.

8 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Wasn't there a big drop between episodes 4 and 5?

Do you mean for House of the Dragon or the Last of Us?

HOTD Episode 4 had 9.66 million viewers on the day of its premiere in the US, episode 5 had 9.95 million viewers on the first day.

For episode 5 of The Last of Us, we don't have viewership numbers (yet?).

17 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Wikipedia has it at 0.382.

The numbers you give me only include the viewers who watch the episodes using linear/cable television. That is only a small fraction of the total number of viewers these days, so it is not entirely representative in times of streaming

Edited by $erPounce

3 hours ago, $erPounce said:

The numbers you give me only include the viewers who watch the episodes using linear/cable television. That is only a small fraction of the total number of viewers these days, so it is not entirely representative in times of streaming

But how do you find out the total number of viewers?

On a side note, I guess it’s safe to say that zombies have not gone out of style yet. 

Looks like the rumors about rewrites are likely true:

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-season-2-summer-2024-return-1235531050/

This is a bit of shift for HBO, since they’re normally obsessed with awards shows, and you want to release your top contenders close to the end of the time frame so that they’re fresh in everyone’s memory. 

I’m glad they’re not remaking Six Feet Under because that show ended perfectly. And I really don’t think they could make True Blood today, at least not without drastically changing things. 

Edited by The Bard of Banefort

If there’s one thing I have to give D&D credit for, it’s that for seven consecutive years they released a new season. Very few premium/streaming shows do that now, even the ones with little CGI. I think that’s ultimately what killed Westworld (that and the writers trying way too hard to confuse their audience).

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Looks like the rumors about rewrites are likely true:

In 2021, the production on the first season started in March 2021 and wrapped in February 2022... and got an end-of-summer premiere date (August). 

We've known for a while now that the production would again not begin filming until March.  Condal's said on his podcast that he thinks they can film the second season a bit faster than the first (things in place + no covid to wrestle with), but I've also seen claims that they aren't wrapping until December (which is pretty normal compared to what GoT was doing, IIRC). So... June 2024 instead of August 2024 seems possible, though I'm sure they would appreciate a couple of extra months on post (since they weren't even complete on the first episode when screeners were made available in July).

The most interesting thing in the Variety piece is not the report, but the profile/interview with Bloys which it is sourced from, where the reporter just drops the detail that Condal and Sapochnik had a falling out, and HBO scrambled to keep Condal while getting Sapochnik out by giving him a development deal. That is not exactly the "insider dope" story that was published by Deadline awhile ago, which is that Sapochnik wanted his wife to have a producer credit for this season and HBO said "no" and he left over that... but I am guessing that to square the circle we should suppose that Condal was the person who objected and HBO sided with him and Sapochnik stepped off because of it.

Edited by Ran

On 2/12/2023 at 1:13 AM, $erPounce said:

I think the appearance of Casterly Rock has already been retconned in House of the Dragon. How Jason Lannister describes Casterly Rock in episode 3 does not exactly match how the castle looks in Game of Thrones:

"The Rock is thrice the height of the Hightower in Oldtown, taller still than the Wall in the north. It's been said that if one were to stand in the tower, on a perfect day, one could see clear across the Sunset Sea."

Casterly Rock is not that tall in Game of Thrones, with the small castle perched atop a rock. For House of the Dragon, they specifically used the description of how Casterly Rock looks in the book canon

It will be interesting to see how they'll handle things if we ever do see Casterly Rock. The Harry Potter films changed the location of Hogwarts from movie to movie, among other things, and were still part of the same continuity. Maybe something similar could be done with HOTD?

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

Hmm that’s interesting. I hadn’t really been following the Sapochnik story, but I had seen the rumor about his wife wanting to be a producer and HBO refusing. Whatever happened between him and Condal, it must have pretty bad to have pushed MS out after only one season.

Did RC and MS appear at most of the events together (aside from the premiere)? 

I can’t wrap my head around all the people online who blame Alicent for “seducing” Viserys and not the fifty-year-old man who thought it was cool to marry his teenage daughter’s best friend. I hope most of them are teenagers who don’t really have the perspective to understand just how messed up this situation is (just like how they don’t believe that Daemon would ever hurt Rhaenyra because he loves her* and “literally missed his family while in Pentos”**) but it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them aren’t.

*debatable 

**exact quote