U.K Politics: Revenge of the Truss.

Varysblackfyre321

Wow. Not many politicians take the opportunity to confirm that they're a bit dim and they're a backstabber in one answer.

Varys does not appear to have bothered to post anything other than a title, which is a bit off. Content next time please?

10 minutes ago, mormont said:

Wow. Not many politicians take the opportunity to confirm that they're a bit dim and they're a backstabber in one answer.

Varys does not appear to have bothered to post anything other than a title, which is a bit off. Content next time please?

For the bolded once you understand she loves being hated all her actions make sense.

Also good advice.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

For the bolded once you understand she loves being hated all her actions make sense.

No. No, she doesn't. There are politicians who embrace being 'controversial' and being hated by the other side, using it as a form of validation, but Truss is not one of those.

She's just very ambitious, very vain, very oblivious and not very bright. And some of her party mistook that utter lack of any insight for being radical and brave. She turned out to be neither.

Wow, what a country you live in. Rishi isn't up to snuff so it's back to inflicting either Boris or Liz on the people as the best idea the Tories can come up with?

I can't imagine Mordant or Baddenoch or any others with ambitions of greatness being willing to keep their hats out of the ring like they did to quickly install Rishi. So it would be the full clown show once again.

27 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wow, what a country you live in. Rishi isn't up to snuff so it's back to inflicting either Boris or Liz on the people as the best idea the Tories can come up with?

I can't imagine Mordant or Baddenoch or any others with ambitions of greatness being willing to keep their hats out of the ring like they did to quickly install Rishi. So it would be the full clown show once again.

Well as Churchill apocryphally said- "Americans Will Always Do the Right Thing — After Exhausting All the Alternatives."  Which I always took to be a backhanded complement, but apparently in today's Britain, should be taken as flattering for us across the pond.   Population 67 million and they made it past person, what, 5? before thinking of recycling?  (Granted, feel free to raise this back up in two years for the US.)

Sturgeon let’s her mask slip by referring to trans woman by her pronouns

Note there’s no expectation for people to misgender cis women who are guilty of sexual assault including rape.

I really do hate people pretending as though their bigotry is not only justified, but demanded, because the target of it is an awful person and then guilt trip those who don’t go along with it. Truly awful.

10 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Sturgeon let’s her mask slip by referring to trans woman by her pronouns

Note there’s no expectation for people to misgender cis women who are guilty of sexual assault including rape.

I really do hate people pretending as though their bigotry is not only justified—but demanded—because the target of it is an awful person.

Should a rape victim be forced to say they have been raped by a woman?

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Should a rape victim be forced to say they have been raped by a woman?

They shouldn't be forced to say anything in regards to their assault or the person who assaulted them.

You’ve let your mask slip again by showing disgust towards others for not misgendering trans women.

Question if a rape victim is raped by a cis woman should every public or private figure be expected to misgender the rapist as a he or a they?

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

if a rape victim is raped by a cis woman should every public or private figure be expected to misgender the rapist as a he or a they?

Yes or no.

I don't understand the question. Can you point me to an example where this has happened?

And then answer my question instead of dodging it.

Are we really not capable of a better level of discussion of a complex and sensitive issue than trying to catch people out over which pronoun they use for a rapist?

I'm so tired of media coverage of trans issues being all about cis people and their preferences, actions, beliefs about trans people. Just once it would be nice to see a trans person interviewed instead of a cis journalist playing gotcha games with a cis politician. 

ETA  - maybe they could even interview a trans person about their everyday life, their hopes and aspirations, the difficulties they encounter, what they want to see from our political parties, instead of talking about toilets and prisons and abuse. I can dream. 

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Are we really not capable of a better level of discussion of a complex and sensitive issue than trying to catch people out over which pronoun they use for a rapist?

I'm so tired of media coverage of trans issues being all about cis people and their preferences, actions, beliefs about trans people. Just once it would be nice to see a trans person interviewed instead of a cis journalist playing gotcha games with a cis politician. 

ETA  - maybe they could even interview a trans person about their everyday life, their hopes and aspirations, the difficulties they encounter, what they want to see from our political parties, instead of talking about toilets and prisons and abuse. I can dream. 

This misses the point, pretty spectacularly IMO. The whole point here is the suspicion that someone like Isla Bryson or Tiffany Scott, are not really trans at all, but men abusing the system to put themselves in more comfortable situations or nearer to women. 

I would think that there would be some trans people out there who were equally disgusted by the behaviour of Bryson and Scott and how much damage it does to genuine trans people when laws designed in good faith are abused by rapists and criminals. 

22 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

if a rape victim is raped by a cis woman should every public or private figure be expected to misgender the rapist as a he or a they?

Yes or no.

What does this even mean? If you're trying to draw some sort of equivalency it's coming across painfully contorted and forced, or maybe I'm too stupid to get it. Are you saying there are cases where a cis woman has raped another person, and then been referred to wrongly and deliberately as a cis man instead of woman? Or are you saying transwomen are women (I agree) and therefore they shouldn't be mis-gendered regardless of what crime they've committed?

If the latter, surely there are clearer, simpler ways of putting this perfectly reasonable statement instead of trying to twist it into some sort of clever 'gotcha' thing? 

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don't understand the question.

Yes you do. ;)

Do you want cis women who are guilty of rape to not be referred to as women with she/her pronouns?

Can you point me to an example where this has happened?

An example of someone being derided for not misgendering a cis woman guilty of sexual assault or rape?

Nope. 

And then answer my question instead of dodging it

is it okay for rape victims to use racialized or homophobic slurs to refer to their rapist?

Nope. Same goes for your question.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The whole point here is the suspicion that someone like Isla Bryson or Tiffany Scott, are not really trans at all, but men abusing the system to put themselves in more comfortable situations or nearer to women. 

Please my dude you've stated quite bluntly last thread on wanting all trans women out of women’s prisons altogether in order to protect real women regardless of the crime they've been found guilty of and are fishing for a scenario to misgebder a trans woman.

I'd also like to think we could elevate the discussion in this thread in particular over which pronoun to use for Isla Bryson. 

I'm bloody sick to death of trans discussion constantly being dragged to this level and I can only imagine how trans members of the board feel about their entire existence being reduced to this by people who could not name one of Bryson's victims without Googling it. 

Archived