U.K Politics: Revenge of the Truss.

Varysblackfyre321

16 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Genuinely asking why do you think that?  For me I see it used uncontroversially in many progressive circles when talking about people who’d normally be looked at as member of an oppressed group who typically could blend in as a member of a more socially accepted group in society.

With the caveat that I'm not trans and can't really say I'm close to anyone who is, so this is a combination of some thoughts I've picked up along the way and my own, and is certainly not a representation of how any given trans people feel about it:

The problem with it is that it frames being a woman as meeting some standard of 'femininity' in some way or another. It means women- trans or not- are being judged by how 'womanly' they can be. For trans women that's potentially painful because it's a term that can easily be used to imply that womanhood is a disguise, but it's bullshit in general because all women are different, trans or cis, and trying to fit the idea of womanhood or femininity to any one box just... doesn't make sense. 

Out of interest, I'm sure these two things are entirely unrelated... right?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/echr-asks-britain-respond-election-interference-legal-claim-2023-01-19/

ECHR asks Britain to respond to election interference legal claim - 19/01/2023

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/05/tory-mps-to-push-for-uk-exit-from-european-convention-of-human-rights

Tory MPs to push for UK exit from European convention on human rights - 05/02/2023

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

With the caveat that I'm not trans and can't really say I'm close to anyone who is, so this is a combination of some thoughts I've picked up along the way and my own, and is certainly not a representation of how any given trans people feel about it:

I'll put forward that caveat for myself my fellow cis male.

The problem with it is that it frames being a woman as meeting some standard of 'femininity' in some way or another. It means women- trans or not- are being judged b

acknowledging a phenomenon of how people see others or initially categorize based on appearance doesn't mean that behavior is moral or be seen as natural.

For trans women that's potentially painful because it's a term that can easily be used to imply that womanhood is a disguise, but it's bullshit in general because all women are different, trans or cis, and trying to fit the idea of womanhood or femininity to any one box just... doesn't make sense. 

I see your concern but I don't think usually there's an implication  this position although well-meaning makes it more difficult to examine how different trans people can face dispirite treatment because of their appearance due to societal biases surrounding gender and why. 

For example; Blair White(a terrible conservative trans commentator)  in a debate with a fascist who told white grow out a mustache kept being referred to with she/her pronouns by the fascist. 

She'd probably also be in more danger if she was forced to go into spaces that we're only for men, like a trans man who—for the lack of a better word—passes would be in more danger for being in a space consighned for women(there's stories of trans men being forced to go to women’s bathrooms and then getting assaulted.

I should again note the use of the word  “Passing” isn't specific to gender.  it's often used in the confines of discussions on race, national identity, religious idenity

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The problem with it is that it frames being a woman as meeting some standard of 'femininity' in some way or another.

I had a conversation with a trans male friend a few months ago where he was feeling insecure about a particular hobby not being 'masculine'. I told him I don't stand for people defining my masculinity for me and he shouldn't either.

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am not saying BFC did it on purpose, I am merely pre-supposing that he is to blame. /cdn-cgi/mirage/e25331832050ff4023a38ab50ab5dd38b9039a29e11e3be17b02711a4faca532/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_leaving.gif

When I first joined we were incestuous as fuck. But at least it was consensual. What the fuck is wrong with everyone? 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64610724

Brilliant. We are as stupid as the Americans. How can people get motivated to get up and go out to protest something so inoffensive? 

True. I don’t understand the outrage about a lot of these drag acts. But at the same time I don’t understand why they exist, why is teaching kids stuff dressed in drag a thing? 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

But at the same time I don’t understand why they exist, why is teaching kids stuff dressed in drag a thing? 

Because it's harder to hate or feel disgust towards behavior if you have positive reconciliations of it at a young age.

The 13 year old boy who remembers the funnt man in a dress reading to him when he was 5 probably won’t feel as alarmed or flummoxed or weirded out if one of his male classmates does similar.

Non-bigoted assholes should see the value in trying to insure kids don't grow up to be bigoted assholes.

Oh also on the entertainment value kids tend to dig big poofy and colorful colorful costumes which drag performanes tend to use when reading to kids.

Likethink of a man dressed up as Ronald McDonald reading to kids. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-64610724

Brilliant. We are as stupid as the Americans. How can people get motivated to get up and go out to protest something so inoffensive? 

Just wait until these people hear about pantomimes!

Is reality starting to exert itself?
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/11/revealed-secret-cross-party-summit-held-to-confront-failings-of-brexit

Revealed: secret cross-party summit held to confront failings of Brexit

Leading Brexiters and remainers, including Michael Gove and David Lammy, met for two-day ‘private discussion’ with diplomats and business leaders

An extraordinary cross-party summit bringing together leading leavers and remainers – including Michael Gove and senior members of Keir Starmer’s shadow cabinet – has been held in high secrecy to address the failings of Brexit and how to remedy them in the national interest, the Observer can reveal.

The two-day gathering of some of the country’s most senior Labour and Tory politicians from both sides of the Brexit debate, together with diplomats, defence experts and the heads of some of the biggest businesses and banks, was held at the historic Ditchley Park retreat in Oxfordshire on Thursday afternoon and evening, and on Friday.
ARTICLE CONTINUES

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Because it's harder to hate or feel disgust towards behavior if you have positive reconciliations of it at a young age.

The 13 year old boy who remembers the funnt man in a dress reading to him when he was 5 probably won’t feel as alarmed or flummoxed or weirded out if one of his male classmates does similar.

Non-bigoted assholes should see the value in trying to insure kids don't grow up to be bigoted assholes.

Oh also on the entertainment value kids tend to dig big poofy and colorful colorful costumes which drag performanes tend to use when reading to kids.

Likethink of a man dressed up as Ronald McDonald reading to kids. 

I don’t buy that argument at all.

The idea that kids will be more accepting of trans people because someone came in dressed in a garish cartoon costume and read them stories just doesn’t add up. Not to mention that comparing genuine transgender to drag acts or pantomime seems way off and offensive to trans people. 

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Hence me trying to get my officers into schools to do engagement and diversion stuff.

Hard to think of officers as stormtroopers when your earliest experience was playing football and netball with them. 

Archived