U.K Politics: Revenge of the Truss.

Varysblackfyre321

4 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Not sure how this works.

You've got 3 awful options, a Hobson's choice to make; why loathe someone taking the "none of the above" option?

The last sentence above, sounds like victim blaming to me.

Victim blaming? Ha. I'd call it pointing out obvious cowards. 1/5 wouldn't admit who they preferred (I'm guessing most of them were for Boris) and a plurality had no opinion. That's not good if your goal is to maintain a healthy democracy. 

I for one agree. It's bad enough when grown men paint their face, wear colorful clothes and gather to hoot and holler at even more colorfully dressed men, sing songs and have fun. Even worse when children are sucked into the culture as well - who knows how harmful it'll be to their delicate minds!

Anyway, enough about football...

(Obvious joke, but someone had to.)

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Victim blaming? Ha. I'd call it pointing out obvious cowards. 1/5 wouldn't admit who they preferred (I'm guessing most of them were for Boris) and a plurality had no opinion. That's not good if your goal is to maintain a healthy democracy. 

well My answer although explained and after giving it a lot of thought was I don't really know.  and If I had to pick one I'm really rather embarrassed cos they are all terrible.   

Remember with a lot of these polls you are often put on the spot and not given any time for thought.

Who would you pick   and do remember   Picking I don't know they are all terrible is not an option for you.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes it was based on the pretty easy assumption that Varys was referring to trans people

Who I didn’t mention. 

I did mention how such performance could help increase the possibility of a 13 year old boy not feeling alarmed, flummoxed outraged, at a male class mate wearing a dress having had positive experiences with men in big poofy dresses when they were five.

I believe in your mind you read this part and saw male wearing a dress=trans girl instead of what I obviously intended and what most who didn’t have some…questionable views on trans people…would understand as being a boy whose GNC.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He can try and back away from that all he likes but I don’t buy it at all.

You can try and  be a good faith actor and read my words as they are rather than what’s rhetorically convient to launch an attack on.

Maybe :P

15 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Remember with a lot of these polls you are often put on the spot and not given any time for thought.

It should be as easy as ordering your meal. 

Who would you pick   and do remember   Picking I don't know they are all terrible is not an option for you.

BoJo, without hesitation. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Doesn’t really answer my point though does it 

Is it good for society to and get kids accepting of Gender conformity? 

Can you understand how parents letting/having gender non-conforming people—like professional drag-queens—do something nice for kids, helps accomplishing  that base goal?

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You seem to be assuming that all those polled voted Tory in the 2019 election? Why would it be cowardly for someone who has never voted Tory in their life to refuse to make a choice between 3 appalling Tory PMs that they would rather see strung up in Westminster Square?

19 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I did mention how such performance could help increase the possibility of a 13 year old boy not feeling alarmed, flummoxed outraged, at a male class mate wearing a dress having had positive experiences with men in big poofy dresses when they were five.

I believe in your mind you read this part and saw male wearing a dress=trans girl instead of what I obviously intended and what most who didn’t have some…questionable views on trans people…would understand as being a boy whose GNC.

Riiiight.

So you are saying that the benefit of these drag shows for kids is that it will lead to more acceptance in the case where a boy wears a dress ( careful to say this is not including boys with gender confusion, just boys who wear dresses), and this will happen because they saw someone dressed in an over the top pantomime costume a decade earlier. 

You are really selling the idea.

BoJo knowingly put his own interests ahead of the interests of the country - pretty much guilty of treason.

Truss is an absolute idiot, and malignant with it.

Sunak's actually vaguely competent - he just epitomises "fuck the poor" as policy.

Put on the spot, and I'd definitely plump for "none of the above" - allowed a little nuance, and I'd pick Sunak, as at least he has the capacity to be quarter-decent, he just choses not to be. I'm also ashamed of myself for saying that.

And yes, I feel the victim of Tory mendaciousness, I had no say in their elections, as party leader or as PM (safe seat, so even voting tactically, it's a wasted vote). So yes, I'd say that loathing me for not endorsing any of the 3 is victim blaming.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

As mentioned, this took place at an art gallery. It was not part of the kids' curriculum, so no one was being forced to attend. Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of the protestors I'm sure were there to shut it down, not demand choice.

Then these guys are dicks, no question about it.

Nonetheless:

21 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Is it good for society to and get kids accepting of Gender conformity?

As long as gender identities, roles, or norms are based on equality, there's nothing wrong with them. There's of course a case (based on history) that we should eventually get rid of them altogether, but imho that would be something to be implemented in a post-capitalist world.

Personally I'd like to think that semi regular exposure to people acting in a gender non confirming way will increase comfort around, and acceptance of, gender non conformity regardless of context. People should be free to wear whatever they want and perform gender however they want. I've got no issues stating that outright.

I assume this exposure is part of the intent, the other being simply trying to put on an enjoyable experience for kids in the same way any other performance for kids tries to do. I don't have any particular interest in them myself though, but protests about it rarely own what they're actually saying and instead try to incite moral panic by making it sound untoward - the backlash is the only real story here.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

this will happen because they saw someone dressed in an over the top pantomime costume a decade earlier. 

Yes, we get it you’re disgusted with drag queens and are appalled everyone else isn’t either.

Dude, I just think people having positive interactions(stress on interactions)with members of a certain group when they’re young helps foster a tolerance and acceptance of members of that group. I’m this isn’t a controversial statement—even with regards to those who do drag

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

( careful to say this is not including boys with gender confusion, just boys who wear dresses),

Careful to note you keep bringing things up that no one else did

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

You are really selling the idea.

Hey if the common sense expectation of human social development doesn’t pan out the worst thing that happens is that a kid just gets entertained by someone in a outfit they likely find interesting.

35 minutes ago, karaddin said:

but protests about it rarely own what they're actually saying and instead try to incite moral panic by making it sound untoward - the backlash is the only real story here.

Because even some part of their brain understands they’re working off the base disgust towards certain behaviors they developed as children. But even to their ears that sounds really immature.

36 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I assume this exposure is part of the intent, the other being simply trying to put on an enjoyable experience for kids in the same way any other performance for kids tries to do.

Correct.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

You seem to be assuming that all those polled voted Tory in the 2019 election? Why would it be cowardly for someone who has never voted Tory in their life to refuse to make a choice between 3 appalling Tory PMs that they would rather see strung up in Westminster Square?

Because it's easy to pick who you think was the worst and/or least worst even if you'd never vote for any of them. That a majority wouldn't or couldn't answer is a depressing result.

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I thought BoJo was the worst of the three by a mile.   my problem is picking between the other two.  

Why is that? For all of BoJo's faults, he was at times capable while being too much of a baboon to do serious damage. Truss was utterly useless and totally in over her head. Sunak worries me because he comes off as your version of Paul Ryan and unlike the other two, he's no idiot. 

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

https://peoplepolling.org/2023/gb-voting-intention-week-6-2023/

If you had to choose, which Prime Minister has been the best since the 2019 general election?

36% Don't Know
26% Boris Johnson
21% I'm too embarrassed to admit
15% Rishi Sunak
02% Liz Truss

:lmao:Did the head of lettuce not get any votes? 

It's not all bad news though. She scored well among 25-49 year olds (3%), and achieved a stratospheric 5% among the Scots. In fairness, a few of those were likely SNP voters and the Scots have been known to fuck around from time to time. 

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

:lmao:Did the head of lettuce not get any votes? 

It's not all bad news though. She scored well among 25-49 year olds (3%), and achieved a stratospheric 5% among the Scots. In fairness, a few of those were likely SNP voters and the Scots have been known to fuck around from time to time. 

I’m too embarrassed to admit? Maybe that’s the secret truss voter lol?

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why is that? For all of BoJo's faults, he was at times capable while being too much of a baboon to do serious damage.

And yet - he did more damage than the other 2 combined (whilst having a lot more time in which to do that harm)

Archived