U.K Politics: Revenge of the Truss.

Varysblackfyre321

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Hence me trying to get my officers into schools to do engagement and diversion stuff.

Hard to think of officers as stormtroopers when your earliest experience was playing football and netball with them. 

Or them reading to you https://www.salisburypost.com/2018/03/19/salisbury-police-officers-read-to-overton-elementary-school-students/

51 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Hence me trying to get my officers into schools to do engagement and diversion stuff.

Hard to think of officers as stormtroopers when your earliest experience was playing football and netball with them. 

"Give the little girl your hitting stick"

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I don’t buy that argument at all.

The idea that kids will be more accepting of trans people because someone came in dressed in a garish cartoon costume and read them stories just doesn’t add up. Not to mention that comparing genuine transgender to drag acts or pantomime seems way off and offensive to trans people. 

58 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I love how these two posts happened at the same time in that order.

Yes, HoI, it's very common to introduce kids to various groups to make them more comfortable with them. As BFC mentioned, we had cops come into class all the time as kids in part to make us more familiar with them. My first elementary school invited all kinds of minority groups to come in once or twice a month for a culture exchange of sorts. The goal being to normalize other people and cultures and it's pretty effective. Drag queens reading to kids has the same impact, and more to the point, if you don't want your kids to go to one, simply don't take them. You're an asshole if you try to shut them down for others because they make you feel uncomfortable.

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I love how these two posts happened at the same time in that order.

Yes, HoI, it's very common to introduce kids to various groups to make them more comfortable with them. As BFC mentioned, we had cops come into class all the time as kids in part to make us more familiar with them. My first elementary school invited all kinds of minority groups to come in once or twice a month for a culture exchange of sorts. The goal being to normalize other people and cultures and it's pretty effective. Drag queens reading to kids has the same impact, and more to the point, if you don't want your kids to go to one, simply don't take them. You're an asshole if you try to shut them down for others because they make you feel uncomfortable.

Doesn’t really answer my point though does it 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The idea that kids will be more accepting of trans people because someone came in dressed in a garish cartoon costume and read them stories just doesn’t add up. Not to mention that comparing genuine transgender to drag acts or pantomime seems way off and offensive to trans people. 

Oh look, HoI is now the defender of the dignity of trans people.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

https://peoplepolling.org/2023/gb-voting-intention-week-6-2023/

If you had to choose, which Prime Minister has been the best since the 2019 general election?

36% Don't Know
26% Boris Johnson
21% I'm too embarrassed to admit
15% Rishi Sunak
02% Liz Truss

It's pretty embarrassing that almost 60% either don't know or won't admit where they stand. Not sure which group I loathe more...

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Doesn’t really answer my point though does it 

Not entirely sure you made one. Yes, drag =/= trans, but the same people attacking the former will attack the latter and vice versa. 

11 minutes ago, karaddin said:

But you conflating drag and trans people is hardly surprising.

He's not. That he's not is, in fact, his entire point. It's a bit sad you don't see it tbh.

Edit: ha, ninja'd.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, drag =/= trans, but the same people attacking the former will attack the latter and vice versa. 

Yes and no. Conservatives will certainly attack both groups out of simple bigotry, but there's room for people who will prioritize trans rights over expressions and defense of non-conformity... Or -conceivably- vice-versa.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Drag queens reading to kids has the same impact, and more to the point, if you don't want your kids to go to one, simply don't take them.

I would assume at least some of the protesters are in fact protesting to keep that option.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's pretty embarrassing that almost 60% either don't know or won't admit where they stand. Not sure which group I loathe more...

But they are all terrible and honestly I'm really not sure which one is the least terrible.  In one sense it could be Truss because although she did lasting damage the good point for her is she was in office for such a short period.  Richie is competent enough to actually cause deliberate damage while presiding over a party that probably thinks its unlikely to get re-elected so need to get whatever they can out of the short time left.  He could well be the worst overall with the future damage he will cause.  And Boris is well Boris.

Also Truss I don't think has been fined for breaking the law while PM.

8 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

He's not. That he's not is, in fact, his entire point. It's a bit sad you don't see it tbh.

Yes and no. Conservatives will certainly attack both groups out of simple bigotry, but there's room for people who will prioritize trans rights over expressions and defense of non-conformity... Or -conceivably- vice-versa.

I would assume at least some of the protesters are in fact protesting to keep that option.

Considering the event was in a Museum and not a school it is very much a parental option as to weather to take their kids along or not.

8 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

It's all in the same post, explicitly acknowledge the difference while seeding the conflation by bringing up trans people when Varys didn't mention us at all. It's a bit sad you take disingenuous arguments at face value when the same person almost never openly and honestly argues their position.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

My whole point was that they are not the same, keep up. 

The only person to not only bring up transgender people and toss some immature, bigoted insults towards drag. What a heart of gold.

21 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

As mentioned, this took place at an art gallery. It was not part of the kids' curriculum, so no one was being forced to attend. Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of the protestors I'm sure were there to shut it down, not demand choice.

17 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

But they are all terrible and honestly I'm really not sure which one is the least terrible.  In one sense it could be Truss because although she did lasting damage the good point for her is she was in office for such a short period.  Richie is competent enough to actually cause deliberate damage while presiding over a party that probably thinks its unlikely to get re-elected so need to get whatever they can out of the short time left.  He could well be the worst overall with the future damage he will cause.  And Boris is well Boris.

My issue is more with the majority that either doesn't know or won't tell you how they feel. That plays a major role in getting unbelievably shitty leaders. 

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My issue is more with the majority that either doesn't know or won't tell you how they feel. That plays a major role in getting unbelievably shitty leaders. 

Not sure how this works.

You've got 3 awful options, a Hobson's choice to make; why loathe someone taking the "none of the above" option?

The last sentence above, sounds like victim blaming to me.

39 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Although given how fast she was out of Downing Street she probably should have had a speeding fine.

Thank you, I'm here all week.

35 minutes ago, karaddin said:

t's all in the same post, explicitly acknowledge the difference while seeding the conflation by bringing up trans people when Varys didn't mention us at all. It's a bit sad you take disingenuous arguments at face value when the same person almost never openly and honestly argues their position.

Yes it was based on the pretty easy assumption that Varys was referring to trans people. He can try and back away from that all he likes but I don’t buy it at all. Let’s not talking about honesty if both of you are seriously going to play that game. 

Archived