Ser Waymar's Unanswered Prayer

Evolett

We all know Ser Waymar failed to hold his own against the Others and that his sword was no match for the icy weapon wielded by his opponent. Right from the beginning, doubt is cast on Waymar’s sword. It is new and shiny and has probably never been swung in anger, suggesting Waymar has not had much practice with it. It stands in contrast to Gared’s knife and experience:

For a moment, he was afraid the older man would go for his sword. It was a short, ugly thing, its grip discolored by sweat, its edge nicked from hard use, but Will would not have given an iron bob for the lordling’s life if Gared pulled it from its scabbard.

Will warns that the sword will tangle Waymar up and advises using a knife instead. Reaching branches grab on the longsword and tug on the knight’s sable cloak. It’s almost as if the trees try to hold him back too, but he presses on, slashing at a branch as if as disdainful of the forest’s warnings as he is his of his brothers’ concerns.  

Events unfold as they do. But what if the means to victory was literally lying at Waymar’s feet?
In the prologue chapter, our attention is drawn to a large iron double-bladed axe, twice in fact:

“Did you see any blood?” “Well, no,” Will admitted. “Did you see any weapons?”

“Some swords, a few bows. One man had an axe. Heavy-looking, double-bladed, a cruel piece of iron. It was on the ground beside him, right by his hand.”

The unfortunate wildlings obviously had no opportunity to use their weapons. They died of the freezing cold accompanying the Others before they could even try. When Gared, Will and Waymar inspect the camp, the battle-axe is still there, lying prominently in the middle of the now deserted camp:

“Your dead men seem to have moved camp, Will.” Will’s voice abandoned him. He groped for words that did not come. It was not possible. His eyes swept back and forth over the abandoned campsite, stopped on the axe. A huge double-bladed battle-axe, still lying where he had seen it last, untouched. A valuable weapon …

A valuable weapon. An iron weapon. The Others hate iron, do they not? Would Waymar have defeated the Other with this weapon?

Change of scene. Craster wants a new axe from Mormont in return for his “hospitality” and news. Mormont obliges, presenting it to him as a guest gift. Dolorous Edd is told to bring the axe:

Give the wildling an axe, why not?” He pointed out Mormont’s weapon, a short- hafted battleaxe with gold scrollwork inlaid on the black steel blade.

Before this, Mormont gives an account of the wighted brothers who rose and attacked at Castle Black. Right after this, Craster says he needs a new sharp axe and his response strikes me as somewhat ambiguous (note my colour-coding):

I’m a godly man, and the gods keep me safe. If wights come walking, I’ll know how to send them back to their graves. Though I could use me a sharp new axe.”

Wights keep going even when dismembered. We’ve even seen severed undead hands moving. Craster knows that fire is the best defence as well as Mormont now does, and that even a sharp axe will not keep a horde of wights at bay for long.  Mormont’s battleaxe is of black steel with gold inlays. It is as much a splendid and valuable weapon as the one left behind by the wildlings. Could Craster desire such a weapon to keep him safe against the Others in case the “cold gods” turn on him? Perhaps when he has nothing more to give? No dogs, no sheep, no babies?

What are the properties of black steel? Could it have properties similar to the soul-drinking black weapons of the Ironborn? (Lightbringer was “soul-drinking” too). Notice the colors match the Greyjoy sigil. Scrollwork always features spirals, incomplete circles, often in the form of vines that can be embellished with leaves and flowers, not unlike what one could make of a stylized kraken symbol. Could Mormont have given away two weapons that are effective against the Others? Longclaw to Jon and the battleaxe to Craster?

Let’s not forget that Mormont was aware of Craster’s offerings. After Jon tells him what he has learned about Craster’s sons, Mormont replies thus:

“The wide world is full of people wanting help, Jon. Would that some could find the courage to help themselves. Craster sprawls in his loft even now, stinking of wine and lost to sense. On his board below lies a sharp new axe. Were it me, I’d name it Answered Prayer and make an end.”

Mormont is referring to Craster’s wives here but I think it’s also a hint to the purpose of the valuable battleaxe lying on the ground in the wildling camp. I think that axe would have been Ser Waymar’s “answered prayer.”

Aero Hotah’s ash-and-iron wife, the longaxe that he is ritually married to, holds similar symbolism and meaning. Most poignantly, he uses it to behead Ser Arys Oakheart, a white knight. Any symbol-aware reader should have noticed the parallels between white knights of the Kingsguard and the white shadows that are the Others by now. A feature common to the three examples I’ve given is that these axes are all double-bladed.

What do you think? Valyrian steel did not exist during the last Long Night. A single blade of dragonsteel is mentioned. With what weapons did the latter-day warriors fight the battle for the Dawn? Did at least some of them wield black iron weapons, crafted perhaps by the Ironborn who have been mining iron ore and smithing for thousands of years? Is this why iron (and bronze) are metals dark and strong to fight against the cold?

Robb’s crown looked much as the other was said to have looked in the tales told of the Stark kings of old; an open circlet of hammered bronze incised with the runes of the First Men, surmounted by nine black iron spikes wrought in the shape of longswords. Of gold and silver and gemstones, it had none; bronze and iron were the metals of winter, dark and strong to fight against the cold.

Edited by Evolett

Nice @Evolett ! We were talking about dragonglass only recently somewhere.  It is a fan favorite to surmise that dragon bone may be a constituent.  Far smarter folks than myself cite carbon and stuff that makes my eyes cross and all this makes things turn black.   I figure dragonsteel is magic and bones, volcanic rock, any and all of it is good in my book.  

I do think you are definitely on to something with the black though.  There is a reason the VS is so dark.  If you look at the descriptions of the swords themselves they are varying shades of grey and black.  Just cool geeky stuff.  

If Osha had been there, she would have schooled him 'The trees are talking to you boy!  They are trying to warn you that you are in danger.  Get thee gone and live!  Oh, and pick up the axe on your way out."   In this series one needs to learn to look and listen to the landscape.  The trees, the trees talk all the time, not just the weirwoods. 

Jon has the two wilding bodies wrapped in iron chains in the ice cells.  The bodies aren't just chained, the iron is also to hold them tight.   The two bladed axe of iron, does the double blades on this weapon carry any significance?   I don't know much about weapons, so what I'm wondering about is not just the iron it's made of, but it's configuration too.   

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

If Osha had been there, she would have schooled him 'The trees are talking to you boy!  They are trying to warn you that you are in danger.  Get thee gone and live!  Oh, and pick up the axe on your way out."   In this series one needs to learn to look and listen to the landscape.  The trees, the trees talk all the time, not just the weirwoods. 

Jon has the two wilding bodies wrapped in iron chains in the ice cells.  The bodies aren't just chained, the iron is also to hold them tight.   The two bladed axe of iron, does the double blades on this weapon carry any significance?   I don't know much about weapons, so what I'm wondering about is not just the iron it's made of, but it's configuration too.   

You know I dig weapons and it has sort of become my place in our family to supply the youngsters with weapons.   You need a $200 sword?  Go tell Grammy.  Younger g-son just got his weapon.  I about fainted when he ordered up a double headed axe.  All I could do was tell him he was dead sexy no one has ever wanted an axe before!  All i have learned about 2 headed axes is that in Africa there is an association with thunder and lightning, but now I'm going to go find out what I can and report back.  Stand by on that one, LR.  

Ok, so it wasn't widely used as a weapon though the Greeks liked to fortify the front lines with lots of them and let the bastards on the other side try to break through that!  The double heads so far as I find seem to represent lightning and thunder gods all over the place, not just Africa.  Mostly is was a really handy chopping tool with basically two entirely different blades, say one perfect for swiping a pencil type Frey neck or chopping at thick Umber necks.   

I doubt there is a foolproof weapon against the White Walkers.  A skilled one with a Valyrian Steel weapon against a White Walker with an Ice Sword is a fair fight.  The VS won't crack and shatter.  But the one has to still beat the White Walker.  Lightbringer was the first Valyrian Steel weapon. 

9 minutes ago, Roswell said:

I doubt there is a foolproof weapon against the White Walkers.  A skilled one with a Valyrian Steel weapon against a White Walker with an Ice Sword is a fair fight.  The VS won't crack and shatter.  But the one has to still beat the White Walker.  Lightbringer was the first Valyrian Steel weapon. 

Sam proved that dragon glass is quite effective.

55 minutes ago, LongRider said:

The two bladed axe of iron, does the double blades on this weapon carry any significance?   I don't know much about weapons, so what I'm wondering about is not just the iron it's made of, but it's configuration too.   

I think it does. I'm no expert on weapons either. So far, I've found out that the double-bladed axe was called a labrys and the information on it seems significant to the purpose I propose:

Labrys is a double-bladed axe from ancient Crete, used in religious ceremonies and as a symbol of power. It was believed to be a powerful weapon that could protect against evil forces and bring good luck. The Labrys has been found in many archaeological sites throughout the Mediterranean region, including Minoan palaces and tombs. It is often depicted in art and literature as an important symbol of strength, courage, and protection. (source)

Also interesting is the Cretian "double axe" which isn't a weapon and accompanies female goddesses only. Aero Hotah's axe is female, his ash-and-iron wife, as is Garth's, Davos' jailer in the wolf's den. There's no telling if Mormont's axe was female though judging by the sign at their gate, Mormont women probably used axes in the past:

There’s a carving on our gate,” said Dacey. “A woman in a bearskin, with a child in one arm suckling at her breast. In the other hand she holds a battleaxe. She’s no proper lady, that one, but I always loved her.” 

54 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Mostly is was a really handy chopping tool with basically two entirely different blades, say one perfect for swiping a pencil type Frey neck or chopping at thick Umber necks.   

The axe may have been much more common than the sword at the time of the LN. Most households would have had one for chopping wood and the like. 

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Far smarter folks than myself cite carbon and stuff that makes my eyes cross and all this makes things turn black.   I figure dragonsteel is magic and bones, volcanic rock, any and all of it is good in my book.  

How about carbon from burnt weirwood? The CotF believe the souls of the dead enter nature and the trees. Weirwoods essentially take up souls. Perhaps this is the ingredient that allows black iron or Valyrian steel to absorb souls. 

20 hours ago, Evolett said:

Reaching branches grab on the longsword and tug on the knight’s sable cloak. It’s almost as if the trees try to hold him back too, but he presses on, slashing at a branch as if as disdainful of the forest’s warnings as he is his of his brothers’ concerns.  

That's my take too: the trees tried to take away the longsword and sable cloak imo to protect Waymar. The Others seem to have been looking for the man with the VS looking sword and fancy black cloak and hellbent on destroying both sword and cloak.

As for the axe: I actually think it's a "signal" of the Others. The axe is often paired with people allying with the Others or monsters. And I suspect this is because you use an axe against trees. The axe is a hostile symbol for trees. 

The double axe (labrys) had a special status in Crete: it was a weapon heavily matched to female goddesses. And the word labrys may have an etymological tie with the word labyrinth. And the double axe of Crete is associated with the linear B symbol which means "mistress of the labyrinth". In other words, in asoiaf this symbol is associated with the spider goddess, enemy to trees.

• the axe in the prologue, Others appear
  • an axe killing the rangers who are carried inside CB and try to kill the LC as wights
  • Craster and the axe
  • Max Axe mentioned twice as alternative to the thing that only comes in the night
  • The Andals and their axe symbol, originating from "the Axe", a maze of the mazemakers on the mainland in the middle of their region (axe + Hills of Norvos),  6 fortune telling "gods" who roam the hills, and the 7th not seen for death (stranger), and making war against the trees once they invade Westeros
Edited by sweetsunray

3 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

As for the axe: I actually think it's a "signal" of the Others. The axe is often paired with people allying with the Others or monsters. And I suspect this is because you use an axe against trees. The axe is a hostile symbol for trees. 

I used to be of this opinion but am not so sure now. I think it's more complicated than that. My focus here is on iron as well as the battleaxe or double-bladed axe. Old Nan's tale of the Others states they hated iron. She reels off a list of things the Others hate in a story told to Bran. It's one she's obviously told often because Jon remembers it word for word as well. 

“They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins. 

Iron, fire and the sun may be dangerous to them for different reasons. They avoid broad daylight, fire dismays them, frozen fire kills them. How does iron impact them? The mention of iron gives us pause initially because iron supposedly originally came with the Andals. This isn't to say iron weapons were non-existent before their arrival, but like Valyrian Steel in the current age, there might not have been enough of them to go round. The Ironborn aren't named Ironborn for nothing. Mining and smithing are major occupations on the isles. They may have had a fledgling industry going around the time of the Long Night. The Ironborn also fight predominantly with axes; because of their versatile functionality, axes would have been amongst the first weapons crafted of the metal. 

An iron weapon may not have killed a white walker outright but it could have incapcitated them severly enough to allow for escape or breathing space. 

Interesting too is that on their return, Will only focuses on the iron battleaxe lying in the camp, when on his first visit he notes swords and a few bows as well. What happened to those? Wights do not fight with weapons. They use their hands to strangle and disembowel. Could the white walkers have removed those weapons? If so, why leave the iron battleaxe? Was it too dangerous to even touch? Iron has magical properties. Black iron is believed to "drink souls." Iron swords keep the spirits of the Kings of Winter locked in their graves. How does iron, black or otherwise, impact the Others? I do think there's something worth exploring there. The double-bladed axe connects these examples. 

Edited by Evolett

Very interesting thread but too much to get my head around.

Just reading some of the OP - I think the trees are pulling Waymar back because his only chance is to hide and run (as Gared did). They know his weapons will not work against the Others, everything he has trained for and learnt as a knight will only make him their victim. The Other who 'dances' with Waymar shows a momentary hesitation when Waymar starts to draw his sword, scrutinising the steely light on it, but relaxes, I believe, because he sees it is not a flaming sword.

The ancient iron axe lying next to dead wildling didn't save its owner. Waymar's steel sword didn't save him. Presumably iron preceded steel in Westeros so these are ancient and modern weapons.

So perhaps what we are noticing is simply weapons as a theme within the opening set up. Superficially, the theme is their uselessness - something frightening is stirring to which the normal rules of battle don't apply. It's not until later that Jon manages to destroy a wight with fire, and later still that Sam discovers Dragonglass - with its origins in volcanic fire - can kill an Other. Beric and his flaming sword is clearly a major hint about another way to kill an Other (or perhaps the only way to kill the Great Other?). Beric's sword flames because its his sword - because he has been raised from the dead by blood and fire magic. So at this point the legend of AA is being tied in with the weapons theme.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:28 PM, Castellan said:

So perhaps what we are noticing is simply weapons as a theme within the opening set up. Superficially, the theme is their uselessness - something frightening is stirring to which the normal rules of battle don't apply. It's not until later that Jon manages to destroy a wight with fire, and later still that Sam discovers Dragonglass - with its origins in volcanic fire - can kill an Other.

I don't disagree with this at all. That's certainly true and something the reader comes to understand as the story progresses. However, analyzing the opening scene in conjunction with clues about iron dropped later suggests to me that iron might have some properties the white walkers regard as harmful to them. Ordinary iron seems unlikely but there is mention of the "soul-drinking" black iron which does very much remind of the Lightbringer blade that was infused with Nissa-Nissa's soul. How did this happen? Did the metal "drink" her soul? We do expect this soul-drinking sword to be effective against the Others. 

The ancient iron axe lying next to dead wildling didn't save its owner.

Just for the record - Judging from the camp site as described by Will, the wildlings did not even get a chance to use their weapons. There was no blood, most were slumped in sleeping positions with weapons lying on the ground. The far-eyes up in the tree froze at that location. They obviously did not engage in combat, the Other's did not bother with that, they simply employed the cold and froze the wildlings before any could properly defend themselves. 

On 2/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, sweetsunray said:

They hate iron and hot blood. But by itself none of these two are a direct danger to them.

Why dismiss this part of Old Nan's tale outright? The records Sam read state "fire will dismay them" and as to hating sunlight, I don't think we expect to see the Others basking in the sun anytime soon. Why should iron and "hot blood" not be part of a category of deterrents or substances harmful to them? In fact, dragons, which qualify as "creatures with hot blood in their veins" are the perfect example. They unify "hot blood," iron and fire. 

Will carries a dirk between his teeth as he climbs the tree. He finds the "cold iron" comforting. Will's dirk is an iron weapon. Cold iron was thought to repel, contain or harm fairies, witches, ghosts and other supernatural entities. The white walkers are in this group of "otherworldly" beings. Interestingly, Will survives up in the tree while the far-eyes did not. Might Will have made a difference if he had come down with his "cold iron," even if this difference only meant a temporary backing off of the Others?

Iron fences were erected around cemetries to contain the souls of the dead. This is in line with Martin's use of iron swords in the crpyts of Winterfell. Mel fits Mance with a ruby embedded in an iron bracelet. It's part of the glamouring magic but not only that. She says she's bound his soul to hers. Iron does have this "binding," "drinking" and "repelling" imagery. The Others appear to be sentient beings. Might "binding" their souls incapcitate them to some degree? 

Old Nan's mention of "hot blood" led me on a quest to have a closer look. Beric of course comes to mind

Beric and his flaming sword is clearly a major hint about another way to kill an Other (or perhaps the only way to kill the Great Other?). Beric's sword flames because its his sword - because he has been raised from the dead by blood and fire magic.

Beric uses his own blood to light up his sword, also alluding to "hot blood." Beric also happened to be red-haired - kissed by fire - and his sigil includes lightening, another fire reference, one that can cause a fire. Besides her dragons, Dany herself is "hot-blooded" (fire and blood) and I would argue that the same goes for people with "wolf-blood." The hot-blooded definitely pose a danger to the Others, at least that is what we are led to believe when we examine the subtext. Beric's "hot-bloodedness" awoke when he was raised by fire, suggesting this might be the purpose of Jon's death - to wake that hot blood, Targ blood, dangerous to the Others. That Jon finds/raises obsidian, a means to eliminate the Others from a buried cache, is significant in this regard. Like Beric, he must die and be raised by fire to wake that aspect of his blood. 

Lastly, Old Nan's tale of the last hero also gives us reason to ask whether his hot blood and broken sword had anything to do with his surviving the pack of Others chasing him:

One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds—”

Why didn't the Others simply pounce on him and finish him off? All his companions had died, plus his dog and horse. The broken sword snapped when he tried to use it. Use it? Against who? The Others most likely. But unlike Waymar, he gets away, with no horse to help him flee, despite being chased by spiders that are at least as quick as hounds.

This begs a few questions. Was the sword, though broken and not effective enough to kill the Others nevertheless a deterrent? What material was his sword made of? It couldn't have been the dragonsteel sword at this point, but something with a bit of power against the Others at least? Not bronze, but iron perhaps? Enough to convince them to keep their distance? How about his "hot blood?" What role did that play apart from allowing the Others to "sniff him out" as Old Nan's tale suggests?

That "hot blood" is a protective measure against the Others is also evident in the location and construction of Winterfell. The hot springs that heat the godswood are also the source of the hot waters pumped through the walls of Winterfell to heat the castle.  The hot springs are compared to blood:

The castle had been built over natural hot springs, and the scalding waters rushed through its walls and chambers like blood through a man’s body, driving the chill from the stone halls, filling the glass gardens with a moist warmth, keeping the earth from freezing. Open pools smoked day and night in a dozen small courtyards. That was a little thing, in summer; in winter, it was the difference between life and death.

Scalding waters, comapred to blood, the difference between life and death. All that is now destroyed and we see winter engulfing the castle in force. An allusion to Winterfell's vulnerability now that its "hot blood," amongst other defences, is destroyed? And there are those missing iron swords in the crypts to consider as well, the iron that keeps vengeful spirits bound. So, could iron have played a role in curtailing the Others during the last Long Night, buying humans time to find a solution? 

6 hours ago, Evolett said:

Why dismiss this part of Old Nan's tale outright?

Because Old Nan never gets it entirely right. For example, she claims the Others took children to the wights as food. But wights don't eat. It's more correct than maester Yandel, but just off in the details.

ETA: I also think we should regard their hates and fears in relation to their hiveminded mother far more than the Others themselves. Their "feelings" are hers. IMO they are an extension of her, her separated fingers/limbs/eyes. I don't consider them to be "sentient" much if at all. And what may not harm them directly, may harm her.

Edited by sweetsunray

On 2/11/2023 at 1:30 AM, Evolett said:

I don't disagree with this at all. That's certainly true and something the reader comes to understand as the story progresses. However, analyzing the opening scene in conjunction with clues about iron dropped later suggests to me that iron might have some properties the white walkers regard as harmful to them. Ordinary iron seems unlikely but there is mention of the "soul-drinking" black iron which does very much remind of the Lightbringer blade that was infused with Nissa-Nissa's soul. How did this happen? Did the metal "drink" her soul? We do expect this soul-drinking sword to be effective against the Others. 

Just for the record - Judging from the camp site as described by Will, the wildlings did not even get a chance to use their weapons. There was no blood, most were slumped in sleeping positions with weapons lying on the ground. The far-eyes up in the tree froze at that location. They obviously did not engage in combat, the Other's did not bother with that, they simply employed the cold and froze the wildlings before any could properly defend themselves. 

Why dismiss this part of Old Nan's tale outright? The records Sam read state "fire will dismay them" and as to hating sunlight, I don't think we expect to see the Others basking in the sun anytime soon. Why should iron and "hot blood" not be part of a category of deterrents or substances harmful to them? In fact, dragons, which qualify as "creatures with hot blood in their veins" are the perfect example. They unify "hot blood," iron and fire. 

Will carries a dirk between his teeth as he climbs the tree. He finds the "cold iron" comforting. Will's dirk is an iron weapon. Cold iron was thought to repel, contain or harm fairies, witches, ghosts and other supernatural entities. The white walkers are in this group of "otherworldly" beings. Interestingly, Will survives up in the tree while the far-eyes did not. Might Will have made a difference if he had come down with his "cold iron," even if this difference only meant a temporary backing off of the Others?

Iron fences were erected around cemetries to contain the souls of the dead. This is in line with Martin's use of iron swords in the crpyts of Winterfell. Mel fits Mance with a ruby embedded in an iron bracelet. It's part of the glamouring magic but not only that. She says she's bound his soul to hers. Iron does have this "binding," "drinking" and "repelling" imagery. The Others appear to be sentient beings. Might "binding" their souls incapcitate them to some degree? 

Old Nan's mention of "hot blood" led me on a quest to have a closer look. Beric of course comes to mind

Beric uses his own blood to light up his sword, also alluding to "hot blood." Beric also happened to be red-haired - kissed by fire - and his sigil includes lightening, another fire reference, one that can cause a fire. Besides her dragons, Dany herself is "hot-blooded" (fire and blood) and I would argue that the same goes for people with "wolf-blood." The hot-blooded definitely pose a danger to the Others, at least that is what we are led to believe when we examine the subtext. Beric's "hot-bloodedness" awoke when he was raised by fire, suggesting this might be the purpose of Jon's death - to wake that hot blood, Targ blood, dangerous to the Others. That Jon finds/raises obsidian, a means to eliminate the Others from a buried cache, is significant in this regard. Like Beric, he must die and be raised by fire to wake that aspect of his blood. 

Lastly, Old Nan's tale of the last hero also gives us reason to ask whether his hot blood and broken sword had anything to do with his surviving the pack of Others chasing him:

Why didn't the Others simply pounce on him and finish him off? All his companions had died, plus his dog and horse. The broken sword snapped when he tried to use it. Use it? Against who? The Others most likely. But unlike Waymar, he gets away, with no horse to help him flee, despite being chased by spiders that are at least as quick as hounds.

This begs a few questions. Was the sword, though broken and not effective enough to kill the Others nevertheless a deterrent? What material was his sword made of? It couldn't have been the dragonsteel sword at this point, but something with a bit of power against the Others at least? Not bronze, but iron perhaps? Enough to convince them to keep their distance? How about his "hot blood?" What role did that play apart from allowing the Others to "sniff him out" as Old Nan's tale suggests?

That "hot blood" is a protective measure against the Others is also evident in the location and construction of Winterfell. The hot springs that heat the godswood are also the source of the hot waters pumped through the walls of Winterfell to heat the castle.  The hot springs are compared to blood:

Scalding waters, comapred to blood, the difference between life and death. All that is now destroyed and we see winter engulfing the castle in force. An allusion to Winterfell's vulnerability now that its "hot blood," amongst other defences, is destroyed? And there are those missing iron swords in the crypts to consider as well, the iron that keeps vengeful spirits bound. So, could iron have played a role in curtailing the Others during the last Long Night, buying humans time to find a solution? 

Hmm well I had not read the whole thread as I said when I posted, Having now read Old Nan's tale I am inclined to believe that iron may be one of the things that can be used against the Others. Alhough, it could be that that is simply what the small folk and rangers and the Kings of Winter have wanted to believe - that their weapons, made of iron, would work against the Others.

There is also this little thing in Tyrion's chapter when travelling to the Wall - he had borrowed some rare books from Winterfell:

Tyrion curled up in his fur with his back against the trunk, took a sip of the wine, and began to read about the properties of dragonbone. Dragonbone is black because of its high iron content, the book told him. It is strong as steel, yet lighter and far more flexible, and of course utterly impervious to fire. Dragonbone bows are greatly prized by the Dothraki, and small wonder. An archer so armed can outrange any wooden bow.

Its also noteworthy how often iron is mentioned in the Prologue compared to other chapters. It seems to be allied to the idea of the extreme cold, though, which seems to relate to the Others and Ice, not with fire. But it is forged in fire. I am not entirely sure that it's a set of hints about Waymar's unanswered prayer etc.

I have got the bug now and am rereading looking at 'iron'...

Edited by Castellan