Those damn targs

astarkchoice

Ok lotta forums about if the targs were bad or good for westeros, deserved to fall or didnt etc.

Lets play a what if then , you are the  head of a major region/house and those purple eyed monsters/heros are at their peak power (ie pre dance of dragons with house velyran right there too) ......how do you plot to get rid of them?

2 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

Ok lotta forums about if the targs were bad or good for westeros, deserved to fall or didnt etc.

Lets play a what if then , you are the  head of a major region/house and those purple eyed monsters/heros are at their peak power (ie pre dance of dragons with house velyran right there too) ......how do you plot to get rid of them?

I would not. I would report the traitors to Varys.  And may those traitor burn in hell for treason.  Everybody in Westeros is a subject of the crown.  And that crown is worn by the head of the family who built Westeros, the Targaryens.   They deserve loyalty and good service. 

1 hour ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yeah, some psycho who gets off on burning people and rapes and abuses his wife and makes a mockery of the law really deserves loyalty and good service...

Again, playing devil's advocate here, I doubt Westeros has a concept of marital rape. Its concept of rape full stop is probably rather primitive by our standards. 

And overall it's not about character and what people deserve based on it: it's at heart about a social contract. So long as the king upholds that contract he can be the biggest shit in the world in private, but he's doing his job and he's entitled to the same loyalty and service as any other king. 

This is ultimately where Aerys went wrong, in a way which even Aegon IV didn't quite: he broke the deal. If he hadn't murdered Rickard and come for Ned and Robert, he could have raped his wife every day and twice on Sundays, and had the occasional servant burned to death for the lolz, and people would have scowled but ultimately felt not only that they couldn't do anything, but that they didn't have the right to. Just look at Aegon IV, an utterly awful person and a terrible king (and another serial wife-rapist), but he kept to the deal, so he got away with it. 

1 minute ago, Adelstein said:

Again, playing devil's advocate here, I doubt Westeros has a concept of marital rape.

Does Jaime not think it was rape though? I would agree given marital rape is a relatively new concept in real life but I thought the characters treated it as rape?

Also we can still consider it rape even if the characters don't unless we are required to follow subjective standards.

44 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Does Jaime not think it was rape though? I would agree given marital rape is a relatively new concept in real life but I thought the characters treated it as rape?

Also we can still consider it rape even if the characters don't unless we are required to follow subjective standards.

I don't know how much we can really rely on Jaime. His whole attitude towards sex is completely fucked up from the get-go and he's also a surprisingly sensitive soul by Westerosi standards. There's also the question of whether it was "just" coerced/forced sex or whether there was additional bodily violence involved: if I remember rightly it was the latter, which might be what prompted Jaime's concern. 

I agree up to a point, but once we start stepping outside how these things are perceived by the characters, it opens up a lot of further and somewhat awkward questions.  What ability does any smallfolk woman have to really say no to a lord? Robert has a whole bunch of bastards most of them seemingly with lowborn women: how many of them were truly consenting (whether out of genuine affection or because they saw an opportunity for advancement), and how many went along with it just because they were afraid to say no? What about Ned and Wylla? Tyrion and Shae? Bronn and Lollys Stokeworth? In fact pretty much any arranged marriage throughout the series except Tyrion and Sansa? Is the bedding ceremony not essentially an organised sexual assault, that everyone treats as a joke? 

We can have our own opinions about this as readers, but when we start applying thought to how characters ought to behave towards each other, I think we have to try to do so from a largely IC perspective, otherwise we start assuming people are appalled by things that are actually for them entirely normal, and therefore conjuring justifications for things based on ideas that won't occur to the characters in question.

2 hours ago, Craving Peaches said:

We need to make sure all the beasts are in the Dragonpit so it is easy to hit them with the arrows. Getting the Targs off the dragons shouldn't be hard. They have a very high opinion of themselves.

I can distract the dragons with that ugly Valyrian lullaby Daemon sings

I wouldn't try to get rid of them, I would want to intermarry with them and get some of those dragons too.  It might be bad for Westeros but Westeros isn't my business, I have a family to protect. From what I've been able to tell they seem to like to marry a daughter out to a house and then marry her son back in so I would make it a point to have as many available sons at any given time out there doing whatever high profile hero stuff so they could to catch one of those dragon princesses' eyes and I would politic like a Hightower to make sure that my house was remembered when discussions about where to marry princesses took place.

The easiest house to bring them down with would be lannister/westerlands. Their virtualy  infinite gold means all of planetos resources are there to bring the beasts down. A region rife with mines means its got  many places to safely hide in.

To add to that we know casterly rock is insanely high up so a good place to ring with scorpions.

Gold wise id reach out to the facelessmen and every assasin cult money could.buy  to get the targs when not on the dragons

Buy as many unsullied as are on sale to potentialy have them charge down the dragons   if we can get them  into close quarters just as the shepherd manged to get ordinary people to

Qohor can make v.steel (or close as ) thus v.steel  arrows and scorpion bolts 

As many sellsword archers as moneycan buy reaching out to tolos for their slingers and elyroan crossbowmen!

Every posion money can buy

Archived