How Should Jon Deal with Marsh and the Other Traitors if/when he recovers/is resurrected?

Craving Peaches

1 minute ago, Craving Peaches said:

Yeah, it's good to see Wun Wun has such a balanced diet. Up North you could be more at risk from vitamin deficiencies. Wun Wun's five-a-day will pave the way for healthier eating choices for everyone.

Keep scurvy at bay! For a vegan NW! :commie:

9 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

How should Jon deal with Matsh and the men who killed him?  

Jon should beg for forgiveness. He betrayed them. He could surrender himself to Ramsay to avoid more trouble for the Watch. 

Jon is the LC, and he was betrayed by bigoted cowards.
‘Let them die’ b/c I don’t care about protecting the realms of men, I only care about my own arse. 

But it’s refreshing to see the acknowledgement that Ramsay made it clear that he plans on attacking the NW. 

35 minutes ago, Darth Sidious said:

How should Jon deal with Matsh and the men who killed him?  

Jon should beg for forgiveness. He betrayed them. He could surrender himself to Ramsay to avoid more trouble for the Watch. 

I bet people like yourself, must have loved Joffrey, back in the day. Assuming this isn't a troll post.

8 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

He could surrender himself to Ramsay to avoid more trouble for the Watch. 

Bowen should have surrendered himself to the Watch to avoid more trouble.

8 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Jon should beg for forgiveness. He betrayed them.

They should beg Jon for forgiveness. They betrayed him.

A variety of options.

1.  Blood-eagling, as an offering to the Gods

2.  Chain them to stakes, North of the Wall, leaving them for the Others.

3.  Cut man-size holes in the top of the Wall, fill them with water, and deposit them in them.  That way, their watch never ends.

15 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

That's is exactly what Jon was trying to do in the first place...

Yes, exactly. I would like to understand where these claims stating that Jon destroyed and betrayed the NW are coming from, since the text shows us the exact opposite. It would be extra nice to see some textual support, but maybe I’m asking for too much. 

ADwD, Jon XI

Lord Snow, must I remind you? You swore an oath."

"I know what I swore." Jon said the words. "I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. Were those the same words you said when you took your vows?"

"They were. As the lord commander knows."

Are you certain that I have not forgotten some? The ones about the king and his laws, and how we must defend every foot of his land and cling to each ruined castle? How does that part go?" Jon waited for an answer. None came. "I am the shield that guards the realms of men. Those are the words. So tell me, my lord—what are these wildlings, if not men?"

Bowen Marsh opened his mouth. No words came out. A flush crept up his neck.

And after their talk w/ Jon and having witnessed the exchange between Jon and Marsh, Flint and Norrey accept Jon’s plans. And even if they don’t remember as much as they perhaps should, Flint and Norrey know more about the NW and its purpose than Marsh ever could. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

ADwD, Jon XI

Lord Snow, must I remind you? You swore an oath."

"I know what I swore." Jon said the words. "I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. Were those the same words you said when you took your vows?"

"They were. As the lord commander knows."

Are you certain that I have not forgotten some? The ones about the king and his laws, and how we must defend every foot of his land and cling to each ruined castle? How does that part go?" Jon waited for an answer. None came. "I am the shield that guards the realms of men. Those are the words. So tell me, my lord—what are these wildlings, if not men?"

Bowen Marsh opened his mouth. No words came out. A flush crept up his neck.

The red bits are a really neat piece of speechifying by Jon - Bowen is completely out-witted. But arguably beyond the Wall is not the realms of men (if everywhere is the realms of men, then the phrase has no meaning. And if the Watch are somehow defending everywhere, why are they based on something that looks very much like a frontier? And thirdly, it looks as if the Others most definitely do not consider north of the Wall as the realms of men.)

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

And after their talk w/ Jon and having witnessed the exchange between Jon and Marsh, Flint and Norrey accept Jon’s plans. And even if they don’t remember as much as they perhaps should, Flint and Norrey know more about the NW and its purpose than Marsh ever could. 

Why would we think Flint and Norrey know more than Marsh?

23 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

But arguably beyond the Wall is not the realms of men (if everywhere is the realms of men, then the phrase has no meaning.

But it's not everywhere, just everywhere inhabited by men. Even if you take a narrower view of the word 'realms', I would argue realms certainly exist beyond the Wall. The Thenns, for example, have their own leaders, laws, customs and defined borders.

32 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

But it's not everywhere, just everywhere inhabited by men. Even if you take a narrower view of the word 'realms', I would argue realms certainly exist beyond the Wall. The Thenns, for example, have their own leaders, laws, customs and defined borders.

A very expansionist interpretation - no wonder the Others are annoyed. But I don't think it holds. The Wall has been around for eight thousand years or whatever, and the Watchmen back at the beginning would have a much better idea of what the oath meant than Bowen or Jon - and their understanding of the oath led them to base themselves on the Wall and stay there. They did not expand northwards along with wildling settlers - if the oath required that, they'd be a sellsword service for free, offering security against the terrors of the wild to whoever and wherever it was wanted, but there's no sign of that ever being the case.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

The red bits are a really neat piece of speechifying by Jon - Bowen is completely out-witted.

He is, even if outwitting Marsh is nothing to write home about. 

But arguably beyond the Wall is not the realms of men (if everywhere is the realms of men, then the phrase has no meaning.

I disagree. The [original & true] purpose of the NW is to defend humanity imo.

And if the Watch are somehow defending everywhere, why are they based on something that looks very much like a frontier?

It’s the other way about, it looks like a frontier because that’s where they decided to build the Wall. Maybe we’ll learn exactly why, maybe not. 

And thirdly, it looks as if the Others most definitely do not consider north of the Wall as the realms of men.)

Not sure what you mean here…

Why would we think Flint and Norrey know more than Marsh?

Because the North remembers. Clearly not as much as they should in general, although I have a feeling the clans remember more than other northerners. They know more about their past and histories and stories than Bowen, despite the fact that he is a northerner himself. Imo.

The red bits are a really neat piece of speechifying by Jon - Bowen is completely out-witted. But arguably beyond the Wall is not the realms of men (if everywhere is the realms of men, then the phrase has no meaning. And if the Watch are somehow defending everywhere, why are they based on something that looks very much like a frontier? And thirdly, it looks as if the Others most definitely do not consider north of the Wall as the realms of men.)

The wildlings have settled in the North, a kingdom that the Night's Watch has sworn to protect, so Jon is right.

He is doing his duty here, Bowen&Co are the traitors and should be put to death for mutiny and attempted murder.

Archived