NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

24 minutes ago, Relic said:

get the fuck out of here with this thread title, and all the hate. pathetic. 

As for Jordan, you must be forgetting his time on the Wizards, especially the games he was clearly going for his own stats. 

Jesus, that title upsets you? Is your whole life PG13. 

Never criticised anyone chasing stats, I'm critical of someone being happier with stats than winning though. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Let me guess, mid 30s at most, so you never really got to see Jordan? 

First game I went to was in the first year of the Bulls second threepeat run and watched a lot of Bulls games afterwards. Never saw the skywalker version live, but I still witnessed his greatness.

I just think LeBron overall is the better player. He’s bigger, stronger, as athletic and likely smarter. He’s now the top scorer ever, 4th in assists, top 10 in steals and might end up being top 25 in rebounds when all is said and done. Jordan was the better pure scorer, but LeBron was better at basically everything else setting defense aside because that’s probably a wash. If you want to 6-0 in the Finals is greater than 4 chips in 10 appearances, fine, but then you also can’t ignore Jordan’s other failings in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Never criticised anyone chasing stats, I'm critical of someone being happier with stats than winning though. 

To be fair, this is basically the most impressive record in basketball and will almost certainly never be broken. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

To be fair, this is basically the most impressive record in basketball and will almost certainly never be broken. 

Is there any record left that will ever be broken? The all-time records are just so absurd.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I'd say it's one of the most important, but not most impressive. 50 ppg, 11 rings are both more impressive to me. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is there any record left that will ever be broken? The all-time records are just so absurd.

Most triple doubles? Luka

First team all defence? Giannis 

Most franchises ruined? Kylie

Highest draft position for a terrible player? Bronny 

Edited by BigFatCoward

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Probably not many, especially in the modern NBA where teams rest their stars for like a third of each season for maintenance. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The clumsy attempt at a backhanded compliment that is this thread title is very self indulgent. So yeah, slightly bothersome. 

Your second point makes zero sense. What do you want the guy to do? He didnt ask the league to stop play, it's just what the NBA does. They did it for Steph last year. Were you whining then? Did you have an problem with the league doing it for Kareem in the 80s?

Edited by Relic

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

Your second point makes zero sense. What do you want the guy to do? He didnt ask the league to stop play, it's just what the NBA does. They did it for Steph last year. Were you whining then? Did you have an problem with the league doing it for Kareem in the 80s?

My criticism of play stopping is of the league, not the individual. 

32 minutes ago, Relic said:

... the league doing it for Kareem in the 80s?

One thing that stands out to me is how the press today is so very much the same as the press in 1984.

Same as today, lots of articles about how Kareem wasn't really all that good, how the record wasn't really all that important, Kareem being the all-time leader was demeaning to the record, etc. etc.  And Wilt went after him personally, which was kind of crazy.

It must have been hard on Kareem to read that kind of garbage.  I was in no way a Lakers fan, but even as a teenager I recognized that the snarky coverage and negative, back-handed commentary was just so much bitterness and bile.  I imagine that the querulous media we see today about LeBron's achievement is similarly hurtful to him, and for no real good reason.

LeBron James is basically Larry Bird, but bigger, stronger, faster, healthier, and longer-lived.  He doesn't get into bar fights and ruin his team's chances for rings (1985), he doesn't injure himself doing silly yardwork (again, 1985), and he doesn't ostentatiously carry the same disdain for his opponents or the media (1979-1991).  You could cut the highlights of the two players into a single video, and other than how low-def the Bird videotape highlights would look next to LeBron's digital 4K film, their value to their teams, their basketball IQ, and the artistry of their games harmonizes well.

I understand that the 24/7 sports media characters of today have to create buzz, but as fans we need to have a strongly critical view of their negativity if only because of their need to fill airtime.  I don't love LeBron James because I am not a teenager anymore, but I also have eyes in my head, and I can see what is right in front of me.  LeBron is absolutely the equal of Russell, Kareem, and Jordan, and he has now scored more points than any of them.

I’ll echo the the point that this is a classless title and post here. I think LeBron has done enough in his career to not say he’s chasing stats.

Interesting trade though to get rid of Russ and only cost one first rounder. Likely only gets them into top six out in the west but there is no dominant team so if AD can stay healthy they could win a round or two.

Edited by Arakasi