NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

Curious to what the Wolves are thinking, trading for Conley. It pushes them further into win-now mode without doing enough to help them to win. Not sure if it's even an upgrade.

I get that they used a lot of assets to get Gobert, but it's sunk cost now, might as well plan for someone who at least fits into Edwards' timeline.

Interesting trade. Wish the Wolves had gotten a first instead of a bunch of seconds, but this does kind of make sense for all three teams. Lakers badly needed shooting and got two legit outside threats plus a nice versatile defender in Vando. Wolves were never going to resign Russell and got a cheaper option who is a real PG without losing him for nothing this offseason. Not really sure who the other guy is, but the team needs depth. And Utah now has 15 firsts over the next six drafts and cleared out a ton of cap space. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And Utah now has 15 firsts over the next six drafts and cleared out a ton of cap space. 

Is there any evidence this ends up being a likely successful strategy. It seems tanking and acquiring assets sets you up to draft loads of potential, good young players who aren't ready to win now and nobody to instill a winning mentality when it's needed. 

6 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is there any evidence this ends up being a likely successful strategy. It seems tanking and acquiring assets sets you up to draft loads of potential, good young players who aren't ready to win now and nobody to instill a winning mentality when it's needed. 

Define successful. 

Anyway, they don't have to play all their picks. They can use their picks to trade up for a better spot, trade their picks for the next unhappy star/solid rotation players or even kick the can further down the road to use/trade (e.g. trade this year's pick for next year) when they want/need it.

Besides, did you think that Monta Ellis and David Lee instilled a winning mentality for the Warriors?

4 hours ago, Arakasi said:

I think LeBron has done enough in his career to not say he’s chasing stats.

You say that, but pretty much every major scoring milestone he has achieved has come in a loss. Its obviously a coincidence, but an interesting one. 

24 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Anyway, they don't have to play all their picks. They can use their picks to trade up for a better spot, trade their picks for the next unhappy star/solid rotation players or even kick the can further down the road to use/trade (e.g. trade this year's pick for next year) when they want/need it.

Sure, but has that ever produced an all time great team, however you use the picks?

I'm just curious, tanking for an otherworldly, sure thing talent, I get (Lebron, Duncan etc). But acquiring lots of random picks just seems an unnecessarily tedious way of doing it (you have to be shit for ages) and unlikely to yield results. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Now back to responding to this before the breaking news. Having a bunch of picks can be a good thing, lol. 

What I was saying before deleting what I was writing to post the above is acquiring a lot of picks can be a good thing with Boston recently being an obvious example. Imagine if they had won last year and repeated, given they're the one seed? Totally worth it even with all the terrible mistakes made. Those are the margins. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Sure, but has that ever produced an all time great team, however you use the picks?

I'm just curious, tanking for an otherworldly, sure thing talent, I get (Lebron, Duncan etc). But acquiring lots of random picks just seems an unnecessarily tedious way of doing it (you have to be shit for ages) and unlikely to yield results. 

It takes a lot of luck and some acumen to get a great team regardless of method. Successful teams are the exception, failures are the norm. 

There are teams that tried a win now approach from the Rockets to Wizards to the Kings. Their results varied. This is the first year in maybe twenty that the Kings might make playoffs. Not win a championship. Make playoffs. Is that a method that is going to yield results? 

The Warriors didn't bottom out, but they still had quite a few picks. Draymond was something like their 3rd or 4th pick that year. Celtics haven't won with this roster yet, but their core has largely been drafted by them. 

Could be that this move boosts Paul's play though.

Incredible trade for Phoenix. They give up so much but I would do it too. Now they are a real contender.

TJ Warren a useful player they get as well. Durant and Booker is a sensational pairing and then you add Ayton and Paul to that.

I am surprised how much the Lakers got for their 2027 pick and a bag of chips. Russell, Beasley and even Vanderbilt? Wow.

I can see why the T-Wolves decided to let Russell's expiring go, he was not part of their plans, but Conley can at best be a stop gap.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Apparently KD, Kyrie, and Harden added up to six playoff wins.  Lmao Nets. 

Two super teams, zero championships.  Better luck next time. 

Didn't they play something like less than 30 games together?

I don't really blame Harden, but KD and Kyrie absolutely fucked that franchise over and now they have to rely on other team's picks so they can't even rebuild in a normal way.

Interesting thing I heard on ESPN this morning, I think sourced from Woj: if the Nets had known they were also going to lose KD, they would have traded Kyrie to the Lakers. I don't know if I would have preferred that, as a Laker hater and a Kyrie hater.

ETA: Probably better for my rooting interests that Kyrie didn't reunite with LeBron. He might actually have had half a season's worth, and a playoff run, of acting right before taking another step down Kanye Road.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Luka has got to be wondering why he his team couldn't swing a deal like that.  Durant + Luca would be a legit title threat, and instead he's on the eternally sinking ship that is the Kyrie Irving experience.

The west just got a lot more interesting.  The up and comers in Denver and Memphis may hold on to the top seeds, but the Suns, Lakers and Warriors have the biggest names, championship experience and (possibly) the help of the refs. 

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Didn't they play something like less than 30 games together?

I don't really blame Harden, but KD and Kyrie absolutely fucked that franchise over and now they have to rely on other team's picks so they can't even rebuild in a normal way.

I read they played 16 games together.  That is ridiculous

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Also, was that really all the Nets could get for Durant?  Why were they in such a hurry to trade him?  Could they really not have held out for more?  Seems pretty odd. 

The deadline is today, but Bridges/Johnson/Crowder, 4 first rounders and a swap and you want more?

Bridges is a solid foundation piece. Johnson is a decent rotation player. I don't rate Crowder but he has had success with Boston/Miami/Phoenix. What else do you want? An all-star?

Edit - Also, at some point, it's not about what you are worth but what others can afford.

Edited by Proudfeet