NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

4 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I’m gonna wait til after the reg season ends to say cursed, we had a pretty strong game against Boston last night 

I went to the game.  It was fun.  First Knicks game in a while.  I liked the atmosphere better in the 90s though.

On 2/27/2023 at 4:27 AM, BigFatCoward said:

70 points really isn't what it used to be.  

Scoring in general is through the roof. Previous record for 40 point games was 142 (61/62) there's been 145 this season already, with a big chunk left. 

Im still keeping my minority prediction that Wilts 100 point game record falls before the decades over.

10 hours ago, PyroclasticFlow said:

I’m gonna wait til after the reg season ends to say cursed, we had a pretty strong game against Boston last night 

Just going to forget the last 20 years? Don't blame ya. 

Big win for the Wolves over the Clippers. After blowing double digit leads in the 4th quarter the last few games against bad teams they were able to hold on against a good one. Still, the team badly needs KAT back after missing 2/3rds of the season and to get healthy in general. They're having to play ugly to survive right now with only one true bucket getter. 

16 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im still keeping my minority prediction that Wilts 100 point game record falls before the decades over.

Hard to see this happening. There's just too many factors working against it.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Phoenix on paper looks like they could be a playoff force.

That's why they play the games! Their depth is depleted and their main stars all have injury concerns. I won't be surprised if they win the West, but they're a bit of a glass cannon and everything has to go right for them.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hard to see this happening. There's just too many factors working against it.

That's why they play the games! Their depth is depleted and their main stars all have injury concerns. I won't be surprised if they win the West, but they're a bit of a glass cannon and everything has to go right for them.

I know, i had in my mind that loaded 04 Lakers roster with Payton, Malone, Kobe and Shaq that everyone was ready to corronate. The games played out dramatically different.

Eta: Wilts record going down in the roaring 20's (this decade)  of inflationary points.

28 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I know, i had in my mind that loaded 04 Lakers roster with Payton, Malone, Kobe and Shaq that everyone was ready to corronate. The games played out dramatically different.

It was an interesting year.  The Lakers were able to beat the 2003 champ Spurs in the playoffs, but then Malone got hurt.  Then with Malone hobbled, they lose in 5 to the Pistons (and it took a dicey buzzer beater from Kobe to avoid the sweep).  Then in 2005 basically that same Pistons team loses in 7 to basically that same Spurs team that lost in 2004. 

Which gives the impression that the Lakers probably beat the Pistons if Malone stayed healthy.  Although I would probably make an argument that the PIstons are just a better matchup physically for the Shaq Lakers than the Spurs were.  Duncan's great defense could get overpowered by Shaq, and they didn't really have any other big men of note by 2004.  Whereas the Wallace not-brothers were both big and strong enough to give Shaq a surprising amount of trouble.

53 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Eta: Wilts record going down in the roaring 20's (this decade)  of inflationary points.

Two reasons why I can't see it. First, while pace of play is up significantly from the unwatchable at times 90's style of play, my understanding is that it's not as high as it was back in the day when Wilt did it. Second, guys just don't play enough minutes while Wilt played the whole game. The only way I can see it happening is if a dude was at like 60 at halftime and the team made a decision to go for it.

19 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Which gives the impression that the Lakers probably beat the Pistons if Malone stayed healthy. 

Malone or no Malone, Kobe was going to shoot them out of the series. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

guys just don't play enough minutes while Wilt played the whole game. The only way I can see it happening is if a dude was at like 60 at halftime and the team made a decision to go for it.. 

Yeah, Wilt played 48+mins one season.  Most mpg this year is about 37. 

If Klay had his amazing quarter in the first, and kept hitting 3s at a similar rate would the team have just kept putting the ball in his hands indefinitely? 

4 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Yeah, Wilt played 48+mins one season.  Most mpg this year is about 37. 

If Klay had his amazing quarter in the first, and kept hitting 3s at a similar rate would the team have just kept putting the ball in his hands indefinitely? 

I think the problem is not so much "would the team keep giving him the ball?" because I think they would.  But if a guy is even sniffing 100, the other team is going to adjust to keep that from happening.  Double team him as soon as he touches the ball anywhere on the court.  Deny entry passes even if it means leaving someone else wide open.  Yes, they'll lose, but NBA teams lose dozens of games every year.  Nobody wants to be the guys that gave up 100 (with a full video of it, unlike with Wilt). 

Really the only way it could possibly happen is if a guy is going for 100 but the defending team is ahead and doesn't think that this one guy can possibly beat them if they stick to their game plan.  It would be pretty crazy if somebody scored 100 and they still lost like 130-128.

Knicks looking very good right now. Exciting. Fucking love Josh Hart and Grimes is quickly making me a huge fan. Robinson being back is also huge for us. I'm not gonna jinx it but it feels good to crush the Celtics twice in one season. 

40 points games for Luca and Kyrie. If they can make it work that's a scary combo. I'm sure Irvine will flake it out though. 

Also can't help thinking Curry getting a good rest before the playoffs, and the role players getting more minutes will mean GSW are much better than their record suggests come crunch time. 

Don't see why Denver traded for Jackson. He's not better than Hyland now and is also older with no upside. Even if they think Hyland can't defend, neither can Jackson. Maybe Jackson is not as trigger happy, but aggressively hunting your own shot is a necessary quality when you're leading the bench. They could have just given Braun his minutes or extended the minutes of Murray/KCP/Brown if they wanted to reduce Hyland's role.

Bryant isn't very good either, but that's more of a result of the failed bet on Jordan and Denver's inability to get a backup for Jokic after Plumlee and Millsap. At least they have a good stock of forwards to help fill in. 

Haven't seen the Clippers play, but looking at the box score the last two games, they have turned from the Paul George and Kawhi show to the Westbrook and Eric Gordon show. Can't see how that is good or sustainable long term. Think they should have just committed to Kawhi being the first option and built synergy from there instead of this equal opportunity making the right play that just ends up being your turn my turn. 

Geezus its strange how many of Stan Van Gundy's Pistons have landed in Denver.

You have PG's Reggie Jackson and Ish Smith, SF Bruce Brown and SG KCPope. All they need to add is rebound stat hog Drummond (or a Morris brother) and you could just say the old Pistons squad is your bench lol.

Eta: BTW- Durant has passed the Big O on the career points board.

Archived