NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Albeit for very different reasons, did the Jazz, Blazers or Mavs have the worst year? 

Also, please god do not let Wemby go to Detroit. 

Has to be the Mavs, I think.  No one expected the Jazz to be any good and I think ending up in the lottery is best case scenario for them and the position their team is in.  The Blazers were disappointing, but I would have expected them to be a team fighting for the play-in more so than a top four team.  The Mavs, on the other hand...woof.  I can't imagine Luka is happy and he's probably going to be asking out before long if they don't right the ship.

36 minutes ago, briantw said:

Has to be the Mavs, I think.  No one expected the Jazz to be any good and I think ending up in the lottery is best case scenario for them and the position their team is in.  The Blazers were disappointing, but I would have expected them to be a team fighting for the play-in more so than a top four team.  The Mavs, on the other hand...woof.  I can't imagine Luka is happy and he's probably going to be asking out before long if they don't right the ship.

Yet everything the Jazz did was to get Wemby and it backfired in about the worst way possible unless you think they have something to build around. 

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Be galling if the Kyrie effect gets them Wembanya, what's the lottery odds? 

I saw it was something like 2-3%, but what they're doing is just trying to keep the pick from the KP trade. If they land in the 11-14 range of the lottery they're double extra screwed. 

They get the 10th pick, which a quick google says is 4.5%. 

Personally hoping that one of the losing teams in the play ins get a top four pick, pushing the Mavs to 11th and consequently lose their pick as it is only top 10 protected. Think they owe it to the Knicks for the Porzingis trade.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yet everything the Jazz did was to get Wemby and it backfired in about the worst way possible unless you think they have something to build around. 

Sure, but Utah was looking at a multi-year rebuild anyway.  There are already reports that Luka could demand a trade as early as the end of next season.

43 minutes ago, briantw said:

Sure, but Utah was looking at a multi-year rebuild anyway.  There are already reports that Luka could demand a trade as early as the end of next season.

Noooo, who could have mentioned that was going to happen, *checks watch*, last week? Could have done it a year ago tbh.

This was always what Dallas had to fear and they've done a remarkably bad job at building a team around him and convincing him to stay. Honestly they're so lucky Dirk was both individually a top 25 player of all time and someone who didn't want to make a lot of waves organizationally. The Mavs also did a horrendous job surrounding him with the same level of talent other top teams did for their superstars at the time. Jokic gets the claim to fame of being in his eight year, having won an MVP and never having any all NBA talent around him. I believe after that it's Dirk and KG with two selections they played with (obviously KG's numbers go up a ton after he was traded, but up until winning MVP they played with almost no one worth remembering). 

On 4/8/2023 at 6:26 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Also, please god do not let Wemby go to Detroit. 

Hahaha suck it!

That's exactly where he's headed to join Cade, Ivey, Duren and Bojan.

Cades season ending injury was real, there was no planned tank and Casey's firing is imminent, so this will be a very different team next year.

If we get Scoot instead we will slot Cade at the SF. Plus we have cap space to make upgrades. I am really looking forward to next season.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Hahaha suck it!

Cades season ending injury was real, there was no planned tank and Casey's firing is imminent, so this will be a very different team next year.

If we get Scoot instead we will slot Cade at the SF. Plus we have cap space to make upgrades. I am really looking forward to next season.

You're cute. Remember when I told you Cade wasn't a PG?

Detroit will fuck up Wemby too...

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Hahaha suck it!

And you’ll still finish third in the division behind Milwaukee and Cleveland. 

4 hours ago, briantw said:

And you’ll still finish third in the division behind Milwaukee and Cleveland. 

Umm you do realize that would be like a 25 game improvement for our very young rotation?

Am I suppose to think that would be disappointing?

It would be effectively Cades, Ivy's, Durens and Wisemans 2nd year (of actual playing time) with either Scoot or Wemby in their rookie year.

Noone is going to feel let down if that young team finished 3rd in Division and around .500 winning percentage. Which is about where that would land one presumably.

I think the focus would be on how great such improvement would be, thats fantastic and do-able.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

Sounds like the team may suspend Gobert for their play in game.  Crazy stuff. 

They sure did. Fucking shitshow. Gobert seems like such a douchebag, maybe the second most annoying player in the league? 

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

They sure did. Fucking shitshow. Gobert seems like such a douchebag, maybe the second most annoying player in the league? 

Still kind of shocked at how much the Wolves gave up to get Utah's second best player, and a guy whose fit in the modern NBA is dubious at best.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Still kind of shocked at how much the Wolves gave up to get Utah's second best player, and a guy whose fit in the modern NBA is dubious at best.

I think they knew they were massively overpaying for him, but in theory he did legit cover up the problems they were having defensively, at least on paper. And then a train wreck immediately happen which was not his fault. The really shitty thing is the rookie they traded away turned out to be exactly what they were looking for when acquiring Gobert. 

The Magic are in an optimal position this offseason to add a high-priced player one way or another.  The epic failure that is the Gobert trade - and others - I hope will be informative.  Like, literally, no one in their right mind would trade Walker Kessler for Gobert straight up right now, regardless of salary. 

Adding "one more piece" rarely works.  Mitchell with the Cavs looks close to that, but it's rare.  Other than Luka, I can't think of another player on the market that is worth how much teams demand for a "premier" player.  I'll take Banchero, Wagner, Carter, Fultz, Suggs, Anthony, and the 6th and 12th picks over just about any overpriced "superstar," thanks.

Archived