NBA - the King passes Cap, but his team are still crap.

BigFatCoward

38 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I absolutely loathe sports fans who want to compare different eras - even different decades for that matter - regarding health, athleticism, and performance. Baseball, football (global and American), basketball, tennis - this shit is all so vastly different in 2020 than it was in 2000 or 1980 and on that it's tiresome to look back. 

Heh, then you'd loathe watching sports with my dad even more than I do.  The worst is pitchers -- "in my day we could throw 120 pitches easy."  Yeah, dad, in your day they were throwing fastballs almost 10 mph slower and throwing breaking balls at a ridiculously decreased rate than they are now.

6 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Draymond is the perfect NBA heel lmao. He had Kings fans ready to jump him while he was egging them on. 

It was so much fun. I wish people would embrace it more.

Sabonis basically acknowledged he started the shenanigans in the immediate post game interview.  

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Draymond is the perfect NBA heel lmao. He had Kings fans ready to jump him while he was egging them on. 

I'd love to see him try that type of "crowd interaction" in Europe. :lol:

7 hours ago, David Selig said:

So apparently the league won't be suspending Draymond for his blatant stomp. Absolutely pathetic from Silver. If this is not worthy of a ban, I don't know what is, even for someone without Draymond's long history of dirty plays.

If he had been the one grabbing the leg in what is clearly not a basketball play there would be cries to suspend him too. He's a hard person to defend, but I think not hitting him with a ban is the right call. Otherwise you would have to suspend Sabonis too. Green cost his team the game, again, and that is a fair punishment (plus he probably lost like over $50M last night). 

ETA: The NBA just suspended him for a game.

Edited by Tywin et al.

No, you don't have to suspend Sabonis too, what he did was nowhere near as bad as Draymond's stomp. And he doesn't have the history of being the dirtiest player in the league.

Thankfully Shams' sources were wrong for once and Draymond actually got suspended.

In last night's game, Boston looked fantastic, Cleveland were dominant, and the Suns used their domainant midrange shooters to overcome another excellent game from Kawhi and a turn back the clock game from Westbrook, I can't recall the last time he had an efficient 28 points game in the playoffs, and with a solid defense too, though not as good as in Game 1.

11 minutes ago, David Selig said:

No, you don't have to suspend Sabonis too, what he did was nowhere near as bad as Draymond's stomp. And he doesn't have the history of being the dirtiest player in the league.

Thankfully Shams' sources were wrong for once and Draymond actually got suspended.

In last night's game, Boston looked fantastic, Cleveland were dominant, and the Suns used their domainant midrange shooters to overcome another excellent game from Kawhi and a turn back the clock game from Westbrook, I can't recall the last time he had an efficient 28 points game in the playoffs, and with a solid defense too, though not as good as in Game 1.

What Sabonis did was certainly a foul, but he was properly assessed a technical in the game and it should be left at that.  That’s especially true since it’s difficult to tell if his grab was intentional or just a product of him protecting his face.  

Green’s stomp, on the other hand, was very obviously intentional.  The way he acted afterward should be a one game suspension in and of itself. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

What Sabonis did was certainly a foul, but he was properly assessed a technical in the game and it should be left at that.  That’s especially true since it’s difficult to tell if his grab was intentional or just a product of him protecting his face.  

Green’s stomp, on the other hand, was very obviously intentional.  The way he acted afterward should be a one game suspension in and of itself. 

It was clearly intentional, and his comments afterwards indicate he knew exactly what he was doing. He was stopping another player, not protecting himself. Furthermore we can fairly assume if Draymond did that and then got stomped on we'd still be talking about how dirty he is and he had the stomp coming.

I just in general hate that the instigator regularly gets off lighter than the retaliator. 

Anyways, like I said, Draymond's real punishment is obvious. The Warriors have every reason now to not bring him back and it's hard to imagine there will be many if any teams that want him. He might have just played himself out of the league right there.  

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was clearly intentional, and his comments afterwards indicate he knew exactly what he was doing. He was stopping another player, not protecting himself. Furthermore we can fairly assume if Draymond did that and then got stomped on we'd still be talking about how dirty he is and he had the stomp coming.

I just in general hate that the instigator regularly gets off lighter than the retaliator. 

Anyways, like I said, Draymond's real punishment is obvious. The Warriors have every reason now to not bring him back and it's hard to imagine there will be many if any teams that want him. He might have just played himself out of the league right there.  

If Draymond got stomped, he’d deserve it, but whoever stomped him should still get a suspension.  The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

The simple fact is that grabbing a guy’s leg isn’t sufficient provocation for him to lift his leg and stomp you.  It’s a foul, but not a suspension worthy foul. 

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

If Draymond got stomped, he’d deserve it, but whoever stomped him should still get a suspension.  The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

The simple fact is that grabbing a guy’s leg isn’t sufficient provocation for him to lift his leg and stomp you.  It’s a foul, but not a suspension worthy foul. 

Idk man, sounds like most people talking about it don't think another player would have been suspended in that situation and the league kind of said as much.

28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk man, sounds like most people talking about it don't think another player would have been suspended in that situation and the league kind of said as much.

Yeah, and the league has been incredibly soft on player discipline under Adam Silver.  He particularly seems to let the marquee teams get away with murder.  Green should have gotten at least two games.  That's what Kevin Love got for stomping on another player, and his stomp wasn't nearly as hard.

22 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, and the league has been incredibly soft on player discipline under Adam Silver.  He particularly seems to let the marquee teams get away with murder.  Green should have gotten at least two games.  That's what Kevin Love got for stomping on another player, and his stomp wasn't nearly as hard.

Huh?

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Huh?

Love basically pushed his toe into the guy and ground down.  Green lifted his foot and stomped down, then jumped off of Sabonis.  Green's is clearly worse.  

21 minutes ago, briantw said:

Love basically pushed his toe into the guy and ground down.  Green lifted his foot and stomped down, then jumped off of Sabonis.  Green's is clearly worse.  

Except Love threw him to the ground and then did it. Sabonis was doing something dirty to Green beforehand. 

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You sound surprised that a repeat offender gets treated more harshly. :blink:

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Except Love threw him to the ground and then did it. Sabonis was doing something dirty to Green beforehand. 

What does either have to do with the stomp itself?

On 4/18/2023 at 6:42 PM, Tywin et al. said:

If he had been the one grabbing the leg in what is clearly not a basketball play there would be cries to suspend him too. He's a hard person to defend, but I think not hitting him with a ban is the right call. Otherwise you would have to suspend Sabonis too. Green cost his team the game, again, and that is a fair punishment (plus he probably lost like over $50M last night). 

ETA: The NBA just suspended him for a game.

Nah, I finally saw the play. Maybe Sabonis started it…hard to see how much was just trying to get up, but I’m willing to believe he annoyed him. But Green’s reaction was several floors of degree different; that looked like a sincere effort to seriously hurt, and moreover it’s mildly surprising it didn’t. That was as clear a suspension as we’ve seen in a while, hell, that looked like maybe a career ending move, especially given his past.

The NBA’s open catering to ratings over rules continues; somewhere Stern is smiling.