Could Tywin have reigned Joffrey in?

Craving Peaches

27 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I don't think Tywin is capable of kinslaying, because if he was it would have been done.

Tywin supposedly cares about the kingdoms legacy, ok. But he definitely cares about the Lannister one. He knows what the Imp can do, I mean his sister straight up tells him that so he didn't speak to her for like a decade plus. If Tywins fears of Tyrions debauchery are real, then my god man, do something about it! And yet even when the gods hand him his large head on a silver platter he still takes moves to send him to the wall and clean of this kinslaying curse.

All good and valid points.  Tywin would come up with something involving permanent exile.  It's not as though Joffrey would have his attorney there reading it through.   I can see him telling this idiot kid it is his kingly duty to travel to (insert farthest Essosi allied outpost here) and command (insert hired sell sword company name here) in securing valued interests in (insert bs place here).   Placing an inconvenient heir in inconvenient places under the guise of duty isn't exactly the same as kinslaying, is it?  I don't know and I am probably being preposterous.  I just have faith that Tywin would know how to get this moron out of his hair to get his hooks in a truly malleable king. 

Tywin instills fear and his children nod and say "yeah,dad" in front of him... but Tywin never even reined in his own children: Cersei does as she pleases since she was a kid, Jaime managed to get chosen for the KG and Tyrion took Shae to KL.

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

All good and valid points.  Tywin would come up with something involving permanent exile.  It's not as though Joffrey would have his attorney there reading it through.   I can see him telling this idiot kid it is his kingly duty to travel to (insert farthest Essosi allied outpost here) and command (insert hired sell sword company name here) in securing valued interests in (insert bs place here).   Placing an inconvenient heir in inconvenient places under the guise of duty isn't exactly the same as kinslaying, is it?  I don't know and I am probably being preposterous.  I just have faith that Tywin would know how to get this moron out of his hair to get his hooks in a truly malleable king. 

Idk, maybe it's kinslaying. If anything it's pretty close. Is allowing Cersei and Tommen executing Tyrion kinslaying?

He drank in the darkness, brooding on his brother. If I do not strike the blow with mine own hand, am I still a kinslayer? Victarion feared no man, but the Drowned God's curse gave him pause. If another strikes him down at my command, will his blood still stain my hands? Aeron Damphair would know the answer,

(I don't think Aeron Damphair would know the answer)

But like the op states, Tywin had some plan for him that Tyrion took for some treatment on par with Tysha. Although this treatment manifested into Tyrion murdering Tywin so maybe we shouldn't actually place too much faith into him

17 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Tywin instills fear and his children nod and say "yeah,dad" in front of him... but Tywin never even reined in his own children: Cersei does as she pleases since she was a kid, Jaime managed to get chosen for the KG and Tyrion took Shae to KL.

Never reined them, but definitely schooled them. This couldn't give two fucks attitude that the Lannisters have was surely learned from the sacker of KL

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Idk, maybe it's kinslaying. If anything it's pretty close. Is allowing Cersei and Tommen executing Tyrion kinslaying?

(I don't think Aeron Damphair would know the answer)

But like the op states, Tywin had some plan for him that Tyrion took for some treatment on par with Tysha. Although this treatment manifested into Tyrion murdering Tywin so maybe we shouldn't actually place too much faith into him

Never reined them, but definitely schooled them. This couldn't give two fucks attitude that the Lannisters have was surely learned from the sacker of KL

I don't know Man.  I had a pop like Tywin, I would have walked the straight and narrow and never broken a stick.  Thinking about the guy makes me sit up straight.  So far as Cersei and Tommen by extension are concerned, Tyrion was a kin and kingslayer.  I think they thought it was their job to kill the bad imp who killed the wonderful king.  Few things are worse than losing a child, no matter how bad that child is.  Some bonds transcend personalities.  And it's always been convenient to get rid of Tyrion in Cersei's view.  Yah, it's kinslaying, but I don't guess it matters. 

On par with Tysha scarred Tyrion for life and as you say, probably caused Tywin's death in the end.  I just can't envision anything Joffrey would care about so much as Tyrion cared for Tysha, at least as much as he romanticizes her now.  Maybe those really buff lady body builders you can pay to wear costumes and beat the hell out of you and make home videos you can watch over and over again?  

I don't know Man.  I had a pop like Tywin, I would have walked the straight and narrow and never broken a stick.  Thinking about the guy makes me sit up straight.

Lol but if Tywin was like your pops his kids aren't. Not only were they fucking around behind his back, but actually fucking too

So far as Cersei and Tommen by extension are concerned, Tyrion was a kin and kingslayer.  I think they thought it was their job to kill the bad imp who killed the wonderful king.

Tommens just rubber stamping whatever mommy and grandpa put in front of him, because he's all 10 years old and what not. If he grieved or felt joy for the outcome of his brother and uncle it comes second to whatever mommy says, because of course it does.

Few things are worse than losing a child, no matter how bad that child is.  Some bonds transcend personalities.  And it's always been convenient to get rid of Tyrion in Cersei's view.  Yah, it's kinslaying, but I don't guess it matters. 

I can't imagine.

Yea, whatever laws, precedents, regulations or legends handed down from the gods may mean to most asoiaf characters, Cersei reacts to them as she did with Ned's paper shield 

On par with Tysha scarred Tyrion for life and as you say, probably caused Tywin's death in the end.  I just can't envision anything Joffrey would care about so much as Tyrion cared for Tysha, at least as much as he romanticizes her now. 

I think a large part of the romantization comes from how it ended. Tyrion behaved so wrong and so cowardly that even if he was a child it surely haunts him and paints the entire story in a different and romanticized light.

Sansa? 

Maybe those really buff lady body builders you can pay to wear costumes and beat the hell out of you and make home videos you can watch over and over again?  

Lmao, is that, um, something people do regularly?

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think so, for the reasons you’ve already brought up. And upon realising this, I think Tywin would have had no qualms about allowing Joffrey to be the victim of a fatal “accident”. 

I don’t think it impossible for Joffrey to beat Tywn to the punch. Provided he’s doing it in broad daylight a la Ned/Baelor, we have seen that the very fact that he is king can, in the right circumstance, trump everyone else being smarter. If he just got tired of Tywin berating/controlling/humiliating him, he might just one day have him arrested for treason in broad daylight. If Joff’s story had continued along the lines of it’s historical models, killing their authority figures/restraints is often part of their emergence into their time as heinous tyrants. 

Archived