What was your first concert?

Teng Ai Hui

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

And I saw Travis at a small theater concert in 2003 or 2004 in Seattle with just a few dozen in the audience. Crazy to see a hugely popular band after The Man Who in such an intimate venue.

First gig I went to was at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in the early 2000s, I think I was some sort of charity fundraiser with Teenage Fanclub and Travis at the top of the bill.

I used to go to street fests and stuff with my parents, one of the first shows I remember is Spin Doctors at Summerfest. Must have been 1994ish? But the first like actual concert I went to was No Doubt when I was 15 or 14. I got 2 tickets as a birthday gift (it was well known No Doubt was my favorite band--I had previously asked for tickets for Christmas and did not understand the concept of touring and thought you could just always get tickets for bands? haha oops), and my sister drove me and a friend up to the Twin Cities for the show. She dropped us off so we were on our own and felt very cool. Good times.

ETA: Okay, I hate not remembering exactly, so I did a little research and Spin Doctors were at Summerfest in 1993, so that was the year (I would have been not quite 6). The No Doubt concert was in St Paul on October 9, 2002, so they were for my 15th birthday.

Edited by Starkess

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

Some weird support acts including Iggy Pop (who the crowd were decidedly not into)

Sacrilege. I'll need the names and addresses of everyone in that crowd.

Not a concert goer by nature, but went to a Pet Shop Boys mini-concert in 2002 (the local amusement park, Liseberg, offers up performers throughout the season as an attraction) and my first proper concert was PSB at Gothenburg during their Pandemonium tour. That was 2009.

Will be seeing them again this summer during their Dreamworld tour.

My first was Styxx. I was 15, made it to the front row and can remember the occasional surge where we were pressed right into that chain link fence.

Over the next few school years i would see the Stones, Santana, ZZ Top, Rush, Rainbow, Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Molly Hatchet, Foghat and a handful of others.

Damn i wish i had saved all those cool shirts!

Of those shows i did catch in my teens, The Stones and Rush were both another level better than any of the others.

Good times they all were.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I remember seeing Massive Attack once as a support band (to Radiohead, I think), and the crowd weren’t really into it.  It felt like such a missed opportunity.  I know it can happen but it’s a pity when a really good act just doesn’t connect well with the fans of another band.

Support acts can be weird. I once saw Fish (ex-Marillion) supported by a straight-up ska band, and y'know, I don't mind a bit of ska but who on earth booked that?

Then again, I also saw Primus supporting Rush which you would think would be a slam dunk choice but the audience reaction was distinctly flat.

Best support acts: I saw Anthrax twice in a year, the first time with Living Colour and the second with King's X. Excellent bands and totally appropriate for the acts.

Speaking of support acts,

I saw Kiss back in '98 (I think) on their reunion tour. Amazing. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. The place was packed.

The opening act was a Canadian band called Econoline Crush. They had a limited amount of success back in the day and I think they had a few singles that charted in the US.

I have never seen a band take the kind of verbal abuse those guys took that night. 16,000 odd people in that arena and not one of them was there to see Econoline Crush. Maybe the Kiss Army thought if they could boo these guys off the stage Kiss would come on sooner (?). I dunno. I don't think it works that way.

I give them credit though; they powered through it and put on a pretty good show.  

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Speaking of support acts,

I saw Kiss back in '98 (I think) on their reunion tour. Amazing. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. The place was packed.

On possibly the same tour cos I think it was 98, I saw Kiss at Finsbury Park in London. I’m not sure if it counts as ‘supports’ (it was an all day thing) but Rage Against The Machine, Skunk Anansie, 3 Colours Red, L7 and Thunder all played. Great day that was.

EDIT: It was 1997.

Edited by DaveSumm

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Support acts can be weird. I once saw Fish (ex-Marillion) supported by a straight-up ska band, and y'know, I don't mind a bit of ska but who on earth booked that?

It wasn’t Cardiacs was it?

In 1984, Cardiacs supported Marillion at the personal request of Marillion’s lead singer Fish. 

While the tour gave Cardiacs some overdue publicity, Marillion’s fanbase took an aversion to them resulting in the band being pelted with a variety of makeshift missiles (including – but not limited to – bottles, batteries and lit cigarettes) on stage.

Not really ska, but they had a sax player back then so could see why one might think that. Their album Sing to God is one of my favourites albums ever.

19 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

On possibly the same tour cos I think it was 98, I saw Kiss at Finsbury Park in London. I’m not sure if it counts as ‘supports’ (it was an all day thing) but Rage Against The Machine, Skunk Anansie, 3 Colours Red, L7 and Thunder all played. Great day that was.

Used to police stuff at Finsbury Park. There were never enough toilets so obviously everyone would piss in the bushes. Used to fucking stink for days after. 

My first was probably the kids band Sharon, Lois and Bram when I was too young to remember. Then when I was about 8, my aunt took me to see the Two Ronnies when they came to Canada, because she got to know them when they stayed at the hotel she and my mum worked at. We're originally from Scotland, so we actually hung out with them. I don't remember much other than laughing a lot. 

First big concert was when I was 10. My 15yr old cousin and her friends took me and my 12 yr old sister to see Paul Young in the early 80s. It was awesome. 

Not many big bands come this far east of Montreal. I did see Queensryche and Metallica when I was 15. Then Anthrax and Iron Maiden when I was 16. 

Got to see Damage Plan (partly. We were late) and Slayer about 20yrs ago. And then Testament, Megadeth and Slayer on the Canadian Carnage tour about 10 yrs ago. Testament is probably the most fun band I've seen live. I was glad I was in the lower bowl and not on the floor, because they had both sides split up and then come together in a massive pit. Looked really cool. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Also seen Suffocation twice. There used to be a really cool jam spot here where we would have after parties. Suffocation came, and they were a riot. 

Other Canadian bands like Sacrifice twice, Daglo Abortions, DOA, SNFU.

One I missed out on that I'm still mad about is Perfect Circle. I was in a different part of the province at the time and working two jobs. The day job let me off, but the night job refused. Yup, still pissed about that. I should have quit!

Good Charlotte, I think?

As an aside, I love support acts. Radiohead had muscians from The Rajasthan Express, Greenwood & Ben Tzur perform before their show in Detroit - all the string instruments and muscians were from Rajasthan and it was ace.

59 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Used to police stuff at Finsbury Park.

It's still terrible.

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yeah, it was spring of '97. I knew it was around there because we had two of the worst winters on record followed by record spring flooding. They actually printed up charity T-shirts for the concert with proceeds going to flood relief. Class act. 

Pretty sure the first concert I actually wanted to go to was Styx at a local festival. Back in the late 90's so this was definitely after Styx's heyday. My friends and I were very, very into Styx for some reason back in the day so we all went and saw them together. I think we must've been around 15-16 maybe? Whatever it was, I remember it being a pretty great show. We all had fun.

Before that I'm pretty sure I recall my parents dragging me to a few concerts which I had very little interest in going to: Moody Blues and Charlie Daniels Band being the only two I recall. I have no idea which one was the first and I recall being pretty bored with both.

The first concert I went to by myself was Opeth with Katatonia as the opening act. Both were quite good, but Katatonia was definitely the lesser of the two. A bit boring, but still enjoyable (which is basically my opinion on Katatonia in general). Opeth was great, even though they did an all clean vocals set, which meant they didn't play a lot of their best songs, but I did get to hear "Face of Melinda" and "Folklore" live so it was worth it.

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

It wasn’t Cardiacs was it?

Not really ska, but they had a sax player back then so could see why one might think that. Their album Sing to God is one of my favourites albums ever.

No, this was post- his split with Marillion, State of Mind tour at the Barrowlands I think (though Fish played everywhere post-split: he played the town hall in Lochgelly. He played 80 gigs in 1995. The man just didn't take an evening off.)