What was your first concert?

Teng Ai Hui

Radio 104 fest(wmrq Hartford) in 1998 or 99.  Headliners were Live, Local H, Sponge, Fuel.  Veruca Salt, Fountains of Wayne, the Catherine Wheel, and Shootyz Groove were there too.

Local H was excellent.   

Eta: was at a bunch of Grateful Dead shows as an infant and in utero but don't remember any of that. 

Edited by Larry of the Lake

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Eta: was at a bunch of Grateful Dead shows as an infant and in utero but don't remember any of that. 

Technically same boat too. We were getting contact highs before we could cry. :P

1 hour ago, Quijote Light said:

Bella Flek and the Flektones in Atlanta. Pretty good show, and the first time I had a random stranger hand me a joint. Oddly enough, the only other two times that has happened were at the only two other shows I’ve been to. 

For me that was Guns and Roses at Toledo Speedway jam. That same guy was passed out in the mud before Guns came on stage.  Good times.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

For me that was Guns and Roses at Toledo Speedway jam. That same guy was passed out in the mud before Guns came on stage.  Good times.

For you. I guess mine was pretty similar, because I turned to the guy as he was coughing his ass off, and he said he and his girlfriend couldn’t take any more. 

Edited by Quijote Light

Metallica, Kid Rock, Sevendust as opener. I think I was 15 at the time. It was the S&M tour and I was dumb enough to still think Kid Rock was entertaining instead of a douchecanoe.

Have been very fortunate to see a lot of live music. That show was a pretty good hook set into me.

I've seen a bunch of local bands in high school but the first world famous band I saw live was Iron Maiden. Had to go abroad to see them, since they weren't coming to Serbia (Serbia and Montenegro at the time :) ) so a bunch of friends and I went to Budapest. It was beginning of June 2003 so the show was outdoors, at a stadium which had capacity around ten thousand  people or so. We were 16-19 at the time and extremely enthusiastic, to say the least, and when they opened up with "The Number of the Beast" it was as if the stadium erupted. They've been to Belgrade 4 times since, and though enthusiasm is far from that first concert I didn't miss a single one. Plus, I went to Debrecen, Hungary in October 2003 for the opening concert of "Dance of Death" tour and to Vienna last July. Their concerts are always fun!

My first concert was Ozzy Osbourne on the "Bark at the Moon" tour.    Most recent was Iron Maiden (Book of Souls tour) - but I don't get to many concerts these days.   Back in the early 90s I was going to one nearly every week ....

13 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

Bella Flek and the Flektones in Atlanta. Pretty good show, and the first time I had a random stranger hand me a joint.

For me, that was seeing Jethro Tull and Fleetwood Mac at Wembley Stadium in about 1991 - they didn't need dry ice; the stadium was full of cannabis clouds :D

On 2/22/2023 at 7:07 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Technically same boat too. We were getting contact highs before we could cry. :P

One of my oldest friends when we were in like fourth grade it came out that he thought orange juice == a screwdriver. He didn't understand what was wrong with mine.

Donna Summer, I think...

In the late 80's and early 90's I went to Atlantic City with my parents and we always saw a show there almost every time...

Donna Summer, The Pointer Sisters, Temptations & The Four Tops together, Chicago, Kenny Rogers, Marilyn McCoo and the Fifth Dimension, Julio Iglesias.

If we count comedians too then Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, Bob Newhart, Drew Carey, Buddy Hackett, George Burns, Joan Rivers, George Wallace, Kathy Lahdman, and Dennis Woflberg.

Also, this was so long ago, the opening act for Julio Iglesias was Jeff Dunham.

Also David Copperfield

2 other shows that my parents went to that I could have gone but begged off and I kick myself whenever I think about it...Frank Sinatra and Whitney Houston.

Other than shows at Atlantic City, when Billy Joel and Elton John came to D.C. I bought tickets to their concert and saw them at RFK stadium.

When I was in Hawaii I saw Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, and this was about maybe 6 months before he passed away. That was one of my favorite concerts, it was really great!

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Best guestimation for first passage of doobie(s) was likely ZZ Top at the Joe Louis Arena, which we just called "The Joe" back in the day.

Want to say my first concert at the Joe was Motley Crue like 10 years ago, but I had been there for Wings games before that. For some reason I always went to Toledo, the Palace or Pine Knob for concerts and not Detroit until recently, last 10 years. Now I've been to the Joe, Comerica, Masonic Temple and Ford Field for concerts. 

After the show do you head to Lafayette for a coney! 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Want to say my first concert at the Joe was Motley Crue like 10 years ago, but I had been there for Wings games before that. For some reason I always went to Toledo, the Palace or Pine Knob for concerts and not Detroit until recently, last 10 years. Now I've been to the Joe, Comerica, Masonic Temple and Ford Field for concerts. 

After the show do you head to Lafayette for a coney! 

Lol, I missed out on Lafayette apparently (looks delish in online pics!),

I do remember loving  kabobs from street vendors near Hart Plaza and Greektown restaurants but its been too many years past to remember everything.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Lol, I missed out on Lafayette apparently (looks delish in online pics!),

I do remember loving  kabobs from street vendors near Hart Plaza and Greektown restaurants but its been too many years past to remember everything.

If you ever go to Lafayette, it's not because it's pretty and shiny, it's because the coneys are great. Before and after most events that place has a line out the door. Also, pee before because the bathrooms are in the basement and it's like a dungeon!