What was your first concert?

Teng Ai Hui

I saw, with my Mom, ZZ Top and Lynard Skynard for a Music Appreciation thing. I didn’t have any friends then (and still don’t). It was alright but I want to see other ppl as well and I guess I have to go by myself. It’s practically the only concert I’ve been to. I am going to make it a habit to go see concerts and live music. Sounds fun. 

On 2/11/2023 at 11:02 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

In fairness to Seattle and touring English bands, I did hit upon two absolute gems: I saw David Grey live in Seattle in the summer of 2000, when he was a huge hit back home with the White Ladder album, but it was a small, intimate gig in Seattle because he was basically unknown there.  And I saw Travis at a small theater concert in 2003 or 2004 in Seattle with just a few dozen in the audience. Crazy to see a hugely popular band after The Man Who in such an intimate venue.

What ever happened to David Grey? It seems like he was around for a five to six year period from about 1999 to 2005, and then...he fell off the pop culture radar.

@Teng Ai Hui has created my favorite thread of all time. My gods, the stories and bands here...! Some of you folks are lucky, lucky sods and you better well know it! Seeing REM and The Cranberries as the support act? MY ENVY KNOWS NO LIMITS. 

If there are any Massholes in the room who are familiar with Wellesley College in (surprise!) Wellesley, MA - they might know that during the summer, the college had a summer camp that absolutely slapped, and introduced me to not one but two glorious things: 

1. Tomb Raider (someone was playing it on a local computer and 13? 14? year old me was transfixed)

2. Guster

Guster are a wonderfully delightful pop-folk band from Boston (Medford - or "Mefahd" to locals) and it was my first ever live act, at a local music hall owned by the college. No alcholic drinks, no drugs, just a bunch of young teens and Guster in their very very early days playing tracks from their first album, Parachute

They're still going strong to this day, and are one of my favorite acts even now. If you haven't had a chance to experience them yet - go check out Lost and Gone Forever and Keep It Together, the former of which ranked as one of the top 100 best albums of the 1990s. (I could gush all day about Guster, they're frelling terrific.)

On 3/1/2023 at 5:46 PM, IlyaP said:

What ever happened to David Grey? It seems like he was around for a five to six year period from about 1999 to 2005, and then...he fell off the pop culture radar.

One really great album (White Ladder) that he could not match.  It sounded like the angst and desperation that fueled that album were replaced by a satisfied contentment that was a less productive muse. 

• 2 months later...

The first musical act I ever saw live was Christian Contemporary artist James Ward, who among other things made a rap song based on the books of the Bible. I was in 3rd grade though, so does it really count?

In 1996, I went to my first concert among normal human beings. Two separate shows back-to-back, actually. First was the Pansy Division, and then the Queers.

As for better known acts? I got to see David Bowie in 1997, and Bauhaus in 1998. Both at a pretty intimate venue.

I have two stadium shows under my belt: Tool in 2001, and Radiohead in 2003.

And unless we're counting classical performances, I haven't been to a concert since 2018. Huzzah for getting old!

On 2/13/2023 at 10:29 PM, Lord of Oop North said:

Tough one.

I believe the first concert that I saw on my own (no parents) was in early 1999. That year I saw the Rolling Stones on the No Security tour in Toronto. The fall prior I had seen Aerosmith with my uncle at an arena in Hamilton.

I was at that!  Aerosmith at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.   The Nine Lives tour.   Saw them in Toronto twice, August 1993 (my first concert ever) for the Get A Grip tour, and 2001 on their Just Push Play tour.  Had to check wikipedia to reconstruct that.

On 5/22/2023 at 11:00 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I was at that!  Aerosmith at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.   The Nine Lives tour.   Saw them in Toronto twice, August 1993 (my first concert ever) for the Get A Grip tour, and 2001 on their Just Push Play tour.  Had to check wikipedia to reconstruct that.

For Just Push Play, I believe that was at the Amphitheatre. I remember lining up at Sunrise Records to try to buy tickets, but not being there early enough to get any