Can we just talk about Balon Greyjoy for a minute

Lady Stonehearts Simp

34 minutes ago, the trees have eyes said:

(should any have survived The Dreadfort and Ramasy's "pursuits").

They did survive. I don't think any of the men survived but the last Theon chapter has Ramsay give orders to take the women and children captive.

The appendices say that the survivors (Old Nan and Beth Cassel included) have been imprisoned and effectively enslaved at the Dreadfort.

4 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

She's smart and written sympathetically but I question whether we really know her or how far she'll go for The Seastone Chair.  She's engaged in the Greyjoy version of the game of thrones right in front of us.  She does appear to recognise that reaving in Westeros is a dead end for the Ironborn - probably literally - but I'm not sure she is going to turn swords into ploughshares.

We've been in her head long enough to derive conclusions about that, I believe. How she treats the Glovers was a microcosm of her beliefs and what her actions would look like, even in the context of invasion and conquest. Her "pinecones" speech was heartfelt and a genuine declaration about the futility of reaving, or of trying to recapture that lifestyle even watered down.    

Theon is certainly one of the best testaments to Mr. Martin's writing skill. We cannot and should not forget what he has done, but we cannot and should not forget what he has been through. At which point does punishment become "enough?" It is meant to rehabilitate, is it not? He makes decisions based on empathetic connections now; he could not not care about Jeyne, as the reader could not. 

9 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

They did survive. I don't think any of the men survived but the last Theon chapter has Ramsay give orders to take the women and children captive.

The appendices say that the survivors (Old Nan and Beth Cassel included) have been imprisoned and effectively enslaved at the Dreadfort.

Yes, at the end of ASOS and then what?  The only reason Ramsay kept the female survivors alive was for his "sport".  Maybe he needed some new boots or just fancied a bit of recreational rape, flaying and murder (the order's inter-changeable).

On 2/18/2023 at 12:43 AM, the trees have eyes said:

Yes, at the end of ASOS and then what?  The only reason Ramsay kept the female survivors alive was for his "sport".  Maybe he needed some new boots or just fancied a bit of recreational rape, flaying and murder (the order's inter-changeable).

Agree, knowing Ramsay the chances of survival of the people of Winterfell are extremely slim, and if there are survivors they must be in a horrible traumatized state. 

1 minute ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

I wouldn't go that far, at least she has some common sense and is learning.

She may be learning, but she lacks common sense just as much as her father.

Her kingsmoot plan, is probably the worst of all that was presented, and Victarion's idea was to keep fighting a losing war...

Archived