Characters that did something awful but given the context of the situation you forgive them or are on their side

Lady Stonehearts Simp

I forgive and am siding with Lord Walder Frey even though the Red Wedding was a violation of guest rights.  The Starks deserved the punishment. Robb and the Starks forced Lord Walder to choose and then betrayed the old man after the Freys honored their part of the pact.  The Stark assault on The Twins, and do not think it was anything other than aggression from the Starks, began when they were killing all of the birds leaving the The Twins.  That was war. 

21 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I forgive and am siding with Lord Walder Frey even though the Red Wedding was a violation of guest rights.  The Starks deserved the punishment. Robb and the Starks forced Lord Walder to choose and then betrayed the old man after the Freys honored their part of the pact.  The Stark assault on The Twins, and do not think it was anything other than aggression from the Starks, began when they were killing all of the birds leaving the The Twins.  That was war. 

Lol. Ok dude. Sure.

26 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

That reminds me: I am also forgiving all of the brothers without banners who go after the Freys.  So far they are giving them "trials", and so far all the executed Freys are deplorables who actively participated in the Red Wedding.  If the brothers go after any of the few innocent Freys (Olyvar, Roslin, etc.), and I expect that they will, then I will change my mind.  But as of now, I feel no pity for any of the corpses hanging from the trees with salt in their mouths.

Oh, and also: Frey pies.  I forgive that too.

53 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Lol. Ok dude. Sure.

It’s why I take a harsher view than some, of killing Daeron under a peace banner.

If neither truces, nor guest right, are honoured, society turns even more brutal than it already is.

Men like Tywin, Walder, and the Prince of Dorne, who violate legal and moral norms, make life worse for everyone.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

It’s why I take a harsher view than some, of killing Daeron under a peace banner.

If neither truces, nor guest right, are honoured, society turns even more brutal than it already is.

Men like Tywin, Walder, and the Prince of Dorne, who violate legal and moral norms, make life worse for everyone.

Pretty much.

8 hours ago, SeanF said:

that's a different situation though. the "truce" was forced by Daeron. the Dornish had lost their freedom in their own home, Tyrells of the Reach who had been their traditional enemies were appointed as their liege and they were outnumbered. Daeron attacked a country, took hold of it, and expected hospitality?! please! ...

on the other hand, Tywin and Walder went around guest right because it suited their ambitions. Walder wasn't forced to ally himself with Robb and Riverrun and Tywin just found it an easier, more convenient solution than actually fighting a war. 

12 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

that's a different situation though. the "truce" was forced by Daeron. the Dornish had lost their freedom in their own home, Tyrells of the Reach who had been their traditional enemies were appointed as their liege and they were outnumbered. Daeron attacked a country, took hold of it, and expected hospitality?! please! ...

That is the context of war and conquest.

The only reason why Dorne didn't suffer another "Dragon Wroth" was because a holy dude walked the earth and that hatred led to the Blackfyres having that much support.

To OP I'd say...

Rhaenyra raising taxes.:P

20 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

Daeron attacked a country, took hold of it, and expected hospitality?! please! ...

I would agree but not killing people under peace banners is just one of those things, In-Universe and out, that is generally accepted by all sides. The whole point is to have safe conduct to negotiate and make peace. If you can't be assured of this then there's no point in trying to make peace in the first place. It's a basic thing. It's not quite on the level of guest right or kinslaying but it is a very important thing required for their society to function properly, which is why most people don't go around breaking it. Murdering someone under the equivalent of a peace banner now would probably be a war crime.

Archived