The necessity of Rhaegar’s death.

Lady Stonehearts Simp

Rhaegar died because he was unworthy.  Emotions is the enemy of sound decisions in this epic.  People who lose their tempers or those who let the heart decide at the wrong moment lose in the game.  Rhaegar, Robb, Viserys, Cately, and Jon Snow all lost the game because they can't think clearly.  Rhaegar and Viserys had to die to open the way for their little sister who is more worthy. 

3 hours ago, Shi Qiang said:

Rhaegar died because he was unworthy.  Emotions is the enemy of sound decisions in this epic.  People who lose their tempers or those who let the heart decide at the wrong moment lose in the game.  Rhaegar, Robb, Viserys, Cately, and Jon Snow all lost the game because they can't think clearly.  Rhaegar and Viserys had to die to open the way for their little sister who is more worthy. 

Well then Daenerys better keel over too because she sometimes lets her emotions get the better of her just like everyone else.

14 hours ago, The Wolves said:

With the way those houses banded together during Robert’s Rebellion to uproot Aerys, I think they could have definitely done it without war. 

They had a bulletproof evidence of the mad king being a danger to everyone and they still had to face hhalf the Realm militarily.

14 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Also Rhaegar never tried to dethrone his father. He talked about it and probably had a plan in place like a great council but he never got the chance. 

So what are you giving him props for exactly?

14 hours ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I also theorize Lyanna told Benjen, and somehow he couldn’t or didn’t tell Brandon in time. So he joined the Night’s Watch out of guilt.

The only one who would have cared about that would be Robert, and even that is doubtful, Lyanna was kidnapped one way or the other.

There is no "eloping" among minors and adults without parental consent.

23 minutes ago, frenin said:

They had a bulletproof evidence of the mad king being a danger to everyone and they still had to face hhalf the Realm militarily.

The only one who would have cared about that would be Robert, and even that is doubtful, Lyanna was kidnapped one way or the other.

I think if Brandon knew she went willingly, he’d be less angry. He’d still be upset no doubt, but I think if he knew she wasn’t being SA’d would’ve tempered his reaction a little.

49 minutes ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I think if Brandon knew she went willingly, he’d be less angry. He’d still be upset no doubt, but I think if he knew she wasn’t being SA’d would’ve tempered his reaction a little.

Less angry is not equal to not angry.

If your 14yo baby sister had eloped with an adult man, you'd likely be incredibly furious and you'd still want to smash that man's teeth in.

1 hour ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

legally he still abducted her

her family have not agreed to a marriage between them nor have his

Even if the situation was reversed and she had gone away with Robert they would still be on shaky ground because the marriage doesn't have approval to proceed yet.

10 hours ago, frenin said:

I’m giving him props for actually recognizing that Aerys was not good for the realm and wanting to removing him.

Rhaegar actually cared about Westeros something that can’t be said about many characters we’ve come across in this series. 

Rhaegar died because it was his plan at that time, surely. Robert’s rage was the only thing guaranteed in (t)his world. So it became a handy tool for the change Rhaegar intended and which was spoiled by his father’s presence in Harrenhal. Surrounded by all lords and ladies of the realm Rhaeger likely would’ve set up a Great Council otherwise.

So what good came from his death out of Rhaegar‘s perspective?

9 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I’m giving him props for actually recognizing that Aerys was not good for the realm and wanting to removing him.

So did Tywin, if that's the bar.

9 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Rhaegar actually cared about Westeros something that can’t be said about many characters we’ve come across in this series. 

Enough to doom it to a terrible civil war.

Then again, many characters did not have the info Rhaegar hsd or believed he had so...

4 hours ago, frenin said:

So did Tywin, if that's the bar.

Enough to doom it to a terrible civil war.

Then again, many characters did not have the info Rhaegar hsd or believed he had so...

Rhaegar did not know that a terrible civil war would erupt from his actions(and they shouldn’t have IMO)

Also I’m not talking about Rhaegar knowing about the ice zombies. 

Im talking about Rhaegar knowing that Aerys was not suitable to run a country and was very dangerous for its people and wanting to remove him. The other powerful lords sat, watched and heard of Aerys atrocities and only did something when he turned on them. Rhaegar actually cared about Westeros the same can’t be said about many we’ve seen in this series. 

If Rhaegar had won the duel, the ASOIAF would not have happened. I also think had Rhaegar won the battle, if Ned and Jon were captured alive, he would spare and pardon them. I don’t think he would’ve wanted to kill Robert but Robert was the only one that had to die. If Rhaegar followed through with overthrowing Aerys he couldn’t have a lord that claimed to be the rightful king around.

12 minutes ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I don’t think he would’ve wanted to kill Robert but Robert was the only one that had to die. If Rhaegar followed through with overthrowing Aerys he couldn’t have a lord that claimed to be the rightful king around.

But I thought Robert wasn't claiming to be the rightful king at that time.

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Rhaegar did not know that a terrible civil war would erupt from his actions(and they shouldn’t have IMO)

So he is an idiot.

Im talking about Rhaegar knowing that Aerys was not suitable to run a country and was very dangerous for its people and wanting to remove him.

So did Tywin.

The other powerful lords sat, watched and heard of Aerys atrocities and only did something when he turned on them.

The other lords managed regions as big as european countries and were far away from Aerys, they had little means to properly asses the gravity of the situation, the only other powerful lord who was aware was Tywin... and he notoriously wanted Aerys death.  

Few months after Harrenhal war had started anyway.

That and the fact that Rhaegar as Crown Prince could get away with murder, Great Lords could not.

Rhaegar actually cared about Westeros the same can’t be said about many we’ve seen in this series. 

We can't hardly say that, he had a half assed plan and dropped it almost immediately.

@Prince Rhaegar Targareyen

I also think had Rhaegar won the battle, if Ned and Jon were captured alive, he would spare and pardon them. I don’t think he would’ve wanted to kill Robert but Robert was the only one that had to die.

That is why ultimately is pointless argue about Rhaegar. Most of this assestments are based on absolutely nothing other of how we want the character to be.

What makes you thing he would spare Eddard and Arryn? Or that he did not want to kill Robert?

If Rhaegar followed through with overthrowing Aerys he couldn’t have a lord that claimed to be the rightful king around.

I mean, he obviously can, so long that lord forfeits that claim.

Archived