Your Favorite Ships in all of ASOIAF History

Lady Stonehearts Simp

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I saw the thread title and got excited thinking someone actually cared to talk about actual ships, not the modern slang. FFS. 

Anyway, Prince Duncan and Jenny likely is an interesting story which as we know ends in tragedy.

I can’t even think of a named ship from ASOIAF that stood out at all, other than The Silence

He found himself thinking of Robert more and more. He saw the king as he had been in the flower of his youth, tall and handsome, his great antlered helm on his head, his warhammer in hand, sitting his horse like a horned god. He heard his laughter in the dark, saw his eyes, blue and clear as mountain lakes. "Look at us, Ned," Robert said. "Gods, how did we come to this? You here, and me killed by a pig. We won a throne together …"

How could they have all been so blind? The truth was there in front of them all the time, written on the children's faces. Ned felt sick. "I remember Robert as he was the day he took the throne, every inch a king," he said quietly. "A thousand other women might have loved him with all their hearts. What did he do to make you hate him so?"

A thousand other women and  you Ned.

Would that Ned had been able to say the same. Fifteen years past, when they had ridden forth to win a throne, the Lord of Storm's End had been clean-shaven, clear-eyed, and muscled like a maiden's fantasy. Six and a half feet tall, he towered over lesser men, and when he donned his armor and the great antlered helmet of his House, he became a veritable giant. He'd had a giant's strength too, his weapon of choice a spiked iron warhammer that Ned could scarcely lift. In those days, the smell of leather and blood had clung to him like perfume.

She and her sister had been married on the same day, and left in their father's care when their new husbands had ridden off to rejoin Robert's rebellion. Afterward, when their moon blood did not come at the accustomed time, Lysa had gushed happily of the sons she was certain they carried. "Your son will be heir to Winterfell and mine to the Eyrie. Oh, they'll be the best of friends, like your Ned and Lord Robert. They'll be more brothers than cousins, truly, I just know it." 

Obviously roommates.

A little foster brother might be just what Tommen needs to wean him away from Margaery and her hens. In time they might grow as close as Robert and his boyhood friend Ned Stark. A fool, but a loyal fool. Tommen will have need of loyal friends to watch his back.

As for your Ned, he should have kissed the hand that slew Aerys, but he preferred to scorn the arse he found sitting on Robert's throne. I think Ned Stark loved Robert better than he ever loved his brother or his father . . . or even you, my lady.

"Come south with me, and I'll teach you how to laugh again," the king promised. "You helped me win this damnable throne, now help me hold it. We were meant to rule together. If Lyanna had lived, we should have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection. Well, it is not too late. I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done."

What's this obsession with being bound by blood with your pal Bobby? I know, society is cruel.

I failed you, Robert, Ned thought. He could not say the words. I lied to you, hid the truth. I let them kill you.

:bawl:

Nuff said. They had their ups and downs, like every relationship. But there is no romance as great as this.

I mean, how many times does Ned remember or think how hot his wife is and how many time he is caught thinking about his horned god. If only society was more accepting. 

17 minutes ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I can’t even think of a named ship from ASOIAF that stood out at all, other than The Silence

I can list a whole bunch. The Silence is only famous because of how terrible the deeds of its crew are.

49 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Benioff and Weiss did. Which also means I don't have high hopes for the canon match between Sansa and Harry Hardyng, not to mention GRRM has a real tendency to match Sansa with men who aren't desirable in personality (to say nothing of age), and it doesn't help that Sansa ships herself with them.

If Garlan wasn't a married man I would ship them so hard. He was always so sweet to her.

As I recently stated I don't ship anyone.  But I didn't know you could ship real couples.  For Valentines Day I totally ship Sam & Gilly and Alys & Sigorn (one of my favorite scenes is their wedding!).  I also recently stated that I fear Jon's performance once Dany gets him alone.  Hadn't occurred to me that Asha (& Qarl the Maid) might give Jon some instruction.  Heck Yeah!  Jon can know all kinds of stuff.  

To the OP, you can't ship Ned and Ashara.  Everyone knows the only reason Meera knows all the dudes Ashara danced with is Howland was bragging because the lady left with him.  Meera is that baby.  I promise, Ned was indeed a maiden on his wedding night with Cat.  

4 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

As I recently stated I don't ship anyone.  But I didn't know you could ship real couples.  For Valentines Day I totally ship Sam & Gilly and Alys & Sigorn (one of my favorite scenes is their wedding!).  I also recently stated that I fear Jon's performance once Dany gets him alone.  Hadn't occurred to me that Asha (& Qarl the Maid) might give Jon some instruction.  Heck Yeah!  Jon can know all kinds of stuff.  

To the OP, you can't ship Ned and Ashara.  Everyone knows the only reason Meera knows all the dudes Ashara danced with is Howland was bragging because the lady left with him.  Meera is that baby.  I promise, Ned was indeed a maiden on his wedding night with Cat.  

If Ned isn’t the father of Ashara’s child then Howland Reed being married to her and her being alive is a close second.

Just now, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

If Ned isn’t the father of Ashara’s child then Howland Reed being married to her and her being alive is a close second.

It absolutely is.  Let's find someone to ship Meera with.  She is a woman grown.  

10 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

It absolutely is.  Let's find someone to ship Meera with.  She is a woman grown.  

I like Jon for Meera.  She's accompanying and protecting his little brother, and he is into Arya archetypes, which Meera definitely is.  Meera could find the brother of her prince interesting.  Given that Jon and Bran are brothers (supposedly) arranging a meeting shouldn't be too hard.

I'm assuming the main series proper.

For established relationships that we've seen? Ned and Cat for certain. The level of love and mutual respect between them is indubitable, and it is clear that they cherish one another. The relationship particularly stands out in a heavily misogynistic society, and especially an arranged marriage where one of them was a "replacement." Life goals here (for our alloromantic friends :lol:).

For future relationships, or overall? Jon and Dany *. I think people truly do not realize how unique this relationship would be, nor how feasible it truly is, nor how iconic it will be. Everything, from the fact that they parallel so much that they are essentially the same person with similar but still distinct stories, to the fact that they are both undeniably the main heroes and neither would be secondary to the other (helped by the fact that they have been on different continents and have yet to meet), to the literary foreshadowing of this relationship, to how well they suit each other, to the fact that their union is one of the meanings of the series name, is refreshing in the best possible way. This is genuinely one of the things to which I am most looking forward.

* I don't want to hear anything about the abomination and its complete failure of this relationship or the characters.

3 minutes ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I think George may be setting her up as Bran’s love interest. We’ll see if that happens or not.

She's a little old for him.  Can't we find maybe one of Aly's sons or doesn't Tormund have a nice son her age?  She deserves a bit of security and levity at this point.

3 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I like Jon for Meera.  She's accompanying and protecting his little brother, and he is into Arya archetypes, which Meera definitely is.  Meera could find the brother of her prince interesting.  Given that Jon and Bran are brothers (supposedly) arranging a meeting shouldn't be too hard.

Nevets, in a good and right world it would work like that and Jon and Meera would lead happy relatively safe lives.  I'm thinking it's just too good a match for Martin to allow it.  She's not dangerous enough for him.  Even at his worst, I cannot see her stabbing Jon with her frog spear.  They would never be hungry or mean or have to fight alone.  Yah, it would never work. 

Meera may be Bran’s first crush, but she’s old enough to know it for what it is.  While an introduction to Jon would be interesting, it might take Bran awhile before he could control his emotions and see the sense in it. 
What will happen when he realizes that to become the new greenseer means giving up the world?   Ugh, poor Bran  

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Meera may be Bran’s first crush, but she’s old enough to know it for what it is.  While an introduction to Jon would be interesting, it might take Bran awhile before he could control his emotions and see the sense in it. 
What will happen when he realizes that to become the new greenseer means giving up the world?   Ugh, poor Bran  

All this happy hope for Meera and we haven't yet got rid of Jojen.  Do we have to find him someone?  Where is Old Nan?

She's a little old for him.  Can't we find maybe one of Aly's sons or doesn't Tormund have a nice son her age?  She deserves a bit of security and levity at this point.

Sansa and Jojen are the same age. Their stories are unlikely to match, but I honestly don't like any of Sansa's canonical potential relationships (for her sake), and I find this an underrated ship.

13 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Nevets, in a good and right world it would work like that and Jon and Meera would lead happy relatively safe lives.  I'm thinking it's just too good a match for Martin to allow it.  She's not dangerous enough for him.  Even at his worst, I cannot see her stabbing Jon with her frog spear.  They would never be hungry or mean or have to fight alone.  Yah, it would never work. 

I was thinking more along the lines of a temporary affair than anything permanent.  They both have obligations and interests that would prevent anything long-term.

All this happy hope for Meera and we haven't yet got rid of Jojen.  Do we have to find him someone?  Where is Old Nan?

I'm pretty sure he's dead or soon will be.  He wasn't looking too good when we saw him last.:(

2 minutes ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Sansa and Jojen are the same age. Their stories are unlikely to match, but I honestly don't like any of Sansa's canonical potential relationships (for her sake), and I find this an underrated ship.

I dunno, I think Sansa has a "type" she likes.  I'm thinking really hard for someone Jojen might make a real connection with.  The Ghost of High Heart maybe?    Gotta find someone closer to his age.  Leaf maybe?  Snowylocks?  

4 minutes ago, Prince Rhaegar Targareyen said:

I also like the idea of Jon and Asha becoming King and Queen of the North and Iron Islands.

Whatever it takes to get Jon that much needed practice.

Archived