Ohio Chemical Disaster

IFR

On 2/14/2023 at 9:03 PM, mcbigski said:

It does seem to me that the entrenched power brokers want to suppress popular opinion as much as possible. 

Personally, it looks to me like Musk is an accidental exception at Twitter, but he'll probably fall out a window.

Are you talking about the Elon Musk that bought Twitter recently?  If so the cognitive dissonance here is astounding.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're talking about a different Elon Musk and different Twitter than the bird app and the Tesla guy.  If not, are you ok?

On 2/16/2023 at 7:59 AM, Larry of the Lake said:

Are you talking about the Elon Musk that bought Twitter recently?  If so the cognitive dissonance here is astounding.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're talking about a different Elon Musk and different Twitter than the bird app and the Tesla guy.  If not, are you ok?

I'm confused Larry, come back at me.  I was saying that Musk's version of twitter is less establishment than the previous admin there.  

While I dislike the terms left or right, it's a useful shorthand.  If you're disagreeing w me which side are you coming from?

40 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'm confused Larry, come back at me.  I was saying that Musk's version of twitter is less establishment than the previous admin there.  

While I dislike the terms left or right, it's a useful shorthand.  If you're disagreeing w me which side are you coming from?

Definitely less establishment - more lunatic fringe

4 hours ago, Week said:

Definitely less establishment - more lunatic fringe

You know musk and Twitter  is terrible but it’s unwise to let MCBIGSKI to divert the conversation from discussing possible solutions to the topic at hand.

@mcbigski what exactly do you think  Butigig should have done? What should government state or federal do now?

11 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Musk has turned his "town square" into a pay to play, boost his own signal, ad-loaded stroll through a mall.  He's suppressing 'popular' opinion in lieu of whoever wants to pay or listen to what he says.  I'll give you Twitter may be more anti-establishment in a strictly "less direct cooperation" with existing laws and government department, but it's becoming more beholden to the blue-check sphere than it ever was before, which is something Musk used to rant about wanting to change.

Musk isn't anti establishment - he just supports different entrenched powers, namely any large corporation.  

If you think Musk is anything special and not just some other billionaire out to squeeze every last drop of what he can get out of the world you are deluded.  

Alright, I have no idea why the Ohio chemical disaster has led to a discussion on Elon Musk, but its clear that decaying infrastructure combined with a gutted workforce in the rail industry is just a recipe for disaster and we'll see more of these incidents in the future. We cant just NIMBY railcars away, many of them pass transporting goods through quite populated areas (the Chris Pine/Denzel movie had a plot about a runaway train ending up in Scranton, of all places with some dangerous cargo on board)

I’m in a waiting room with an all-news channel running on the tv, and I see the EPA has now stepped in to make threats against the rail company, warning them they’d better clean up the mess or they’ll step in and do it.

I’m assuming this means the rail company had done fuck all so far, impressing no one.

9 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Musk isn't anti establishment - he just supports different entrenched powers

Including apartheid. His family are South African multi-millionaires.

In any case corps are always outright refusing responsibility for the horrors they inflict upon the rest of us.  Case currently in point here:

Dumping 1M gallons of radioactive water in Hudson is ‘best option,’ per Indian Point nuclear plant owner

https://gothamist.com/news/dumping-radioactive-water-hudson-river-best-option-indian-point-nuclear-plant-owner-holtec

20 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

@mcbigski what exactly do you think  Butigig should have done? What should government state or federal do now?

Seems like whenever there's a transit related issue he's on vacation or paternity leave.  OTOH he's probably more competent than POTUS or VPOTUS.  

Something besides ignore it for a week or more.

Anyone remember back in 2016 when I said that as much as Trump being the actual winner was a disapointment to people, at least it meant the media would be adversarial?  We're not seeing that now for some reason.  Think about why.

25 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Seems like whenever there's a transit related issue he's on vacation or paternity leave. 

That’s a Nice sexist jibe at him trying to raise his baby. 

Now What do you want him as transportation secretary to do?

Give specifics on what you think he should be doing something that he can do, that he isn’t?

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Give specifics on what you think he should be doing something that he can do, that he isn’t?

I don't know if there's anything concrete he can do now that the explosion has happened, on the ground, but at the very least he should be publicly blasting the companies involved to put pressure on them to step up in the rebuild and clean-up process. 

But in terms of what he should have done, which you also asked and is a separate question: people in this topic already mentioned that there were safety regulations repealed under Trump that nothing has been done to restore. We also know that rail workers have been raising these issues for a while now, went on strike over it, but those concerns have been ignored. Those are absolutely things a transport secretary should be taking the public lead on. 

That’s a Nice sexist jibe at him trying to raise his baby. 

What's sexist about that?  Is he not his child's father? 

There was that whole supply chain west coast port issue a year or so ago where Sec Buttigieg had nothing helpful to say, and the end dictate from the government was that backed up cargo ships should stay out of sight of the shore, rather than finding a solution that could increase efficiency and relieve price pressure in an inflationary environment.

Let's look at it from the other direction.  Tell me Varys, what are Sec Buttigieg's successes?

26 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

What's sexist about that?

The implication that a man taking care of his child is a frivolous pursuit.

26 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Let's look at it from the other direction.

No let’s keep it on here: what exactly do you think Butgig should do in response to the train derailment in East Palestine, that he can do?

What response from the executive do you want to see happen in general?

Do you think Biden should restore any of the safety measures Trump got rid of? Institute different ones? Roll some more back?

14 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Alright, I have no idea why the Ohio chemical disaster has led to a discussion on Elon Musk, but its clear that decaying infrastructure combined with a gutted workforce in the rail industry is just a recipe for disaster and we'll see more of these incidents in the future. We cant just NIMBY railcars away, many of them pass transporting goods through quite populated areas (the Chris Pine/Denzel movie had a plot about a runaway train ending up in Scranton, of all places with some dangerous cargo on board)

Because crying about  culture war nonsense is more comfortable than having to propose and argue that particular a policy would meaningfully help society.

Often times the left is too ready to take the bait.

Goddamn reds

Always in touch with the human theatrical component 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I believe the legal vernacular for people like this is pieces of shit.

See above

59 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But what about the critical race woke cancel culture Antifa making M&Ms less sexy?

Can’t we just focus on culture war nonesense/s

Jace(n)

Archived