Believe: the Ted Lasso topic.

polishgenius

The break was so long the old topic was archived. I dunno if a mod wants to or can resurrect it and merge this into it, but in the meantime: we have a teaser, and a very-soon-now date, so here's a new topic.

It's a superb teaser I've gotta say, for what the show is.

And this is the final season.  I really enjoy Ted Lasso it is such an exploration of non-cynical hope.  Given that Nate was established as “problematic” from his introduction as a character I do wonder if he will be “redeemed”?  Or if he will have a Gollum/Smeagol like ending…

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Just started this the other day. I absolutely love it. Ted is so fucking nice. In fact, the entire show is just really lovely and wholesome.

Season 2 is a bit darker but there is an arc they've had planned over 3 seasons.

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Just started this the other day. I absolutely love it. Ted is so fucking nice. In fact, the entire show is just really lovely and wholesome.

It flatly rejects cynicism and embraces sincerity, be it joy or anger.  It is sincerely held and offered.

Very excited. I think some of the direction Season 2 took will reflect on the final season. It would be a bit of a cop-out if the ending is completely saccharine, in my opinion. Without spoiling Spockydog, despite the shows delightful embrace of optimism and joy, we're definitely in for some sad-cries amongst all the goosebump-inducing tearful cheering that's inevitable.

To date I only know one person IRL that never liked the show, and that's mostly because he's a Premier League fanatic and refused to enjoy the premise even before he watched a minute. It's too bad. I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about and seeing my local baseball team, but I would certainly watch a British show that didn't really get anything right about baseball if it were just as joyful and charming as Lasso has been.

28 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Very excited. I think some of the direction Season 2 took will reflect on the final season. It would be a bit of a cop-out if the ending is completely saccharine, in my opinion. Without spoiling Spockydog, despite the shows delightful embrace of optimism and joy, we're definitely in for some sad-cries amongst all the goosebump-inducing tearful cheering that's inevitable.

To date I only know one person IRL that never liked the show, and that's mostly because he's a Premier League fanatic and refused to enjoy the premise even before he watched a minute. It's too bad. I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about and seeing my local baseball team, but I would certainly watch a British show that didn't really get anything right about baseball if it were just as joyful and charming as Lasso has been.

An English Cricket coach brought to the US to coach an American Baseball team is something I would absolutely watch.

I still don’t understand why there isn’t a set size for Football pitches.  That’s just strange.

February's been almost a wasteland for me in terms of new TV/media of interest. March is looking like the opposite. Books from Adrian Tchaikovsky, Garth Nix and Martha Wells. Shadow and Bone S2 on Netflix and Ted Lasso on Apple. Plus my favourite local film festival is returning. 

Think I'm primarily interested in seeing what they do with Nate.

22 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I still don’t understand why there isn’t a set size for Football pitches.  That’s just strange.

There is, actually. According to FIFA, football pitch should be 105 by 68 metres. It's just that English clubs don't seem to care much.

The English FA's rules on pitch sizes are very broad: 90–120 metres in length and 45–90 metres in width. However, most of the clubs in England's professional leagues (the top 4 divisions) conform to the standard 105x68 metre pitch dimensions. Those that do not are still close enough to the standard - all pitches in the professional leagues range from 100–105 metres in length and 64–69 metres in width (Nottingham Forest is the only club with a slightly wider pitch at 71 metres).

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

The English FA's rules on pitch sizes are very broad: 90–120 metres in length and 45–90 metres in width. However, most of the clubs in England's professional leagues (the top 4 divisions) conform to the standard 105x68 metre pitch dimensions. Those that do not are still close enough to the standard - all pitches in the professional leagues range from 100–105 metres in length and 64–69 metres in width (Nottingham Forest is the only club with a slightly wider pitch at 71 metres).

Why?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why?

I don't know why. As far as I can tell, there has never been a hard and fast rule stating that the dimensions of a football pitch has to be an exact size; only recommendations that the size should be within a certain range.

Also, a correction: varying pitch dimensions is not something that just happens in England's professional leagues; it's all over (even in the MLS). 

FIFA's guidelines for club football are the same as the English FA's (90-120m length and 45-90m width). UEFA's is 100-105m in length and 64-68m in width, with 105x68m being the recommended pitch dimension.

Most professional clubs try to comply with the 105x68m recommendation or be as close to it as possible. Those clubs with a smaller pitch size than that is usually because the construction of their stadium doesn't allow for them to increase the dimensions up to the recommended size.

Baseball Stadiums have a wide range of outfield walls  often due to limitations of city blocks or other obstacles. The monstrosity of the Astros stadium had a goddamn hill in centerfield until 2015. That second article highlights several other wacky baseball fields over its history. 

On topic, I've re-started Season 2 since reading this thread. I realize I somewhat have forgotten where our guys and gals stand going into this final season.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 3:46 PM, Argonath Diver said:

Baseball Stadiums have a wide range of outfield walls  often due to limitations of city blocks or other obstacles. The monstrosity of the Astros stadium had a goddamn hill in centerfield until 2015. That second article highlights several other wacky baseball fields over its history. 

On topic, I've re-started Season 2 since reading this thread. I realize I somewhat have forgotten where our guys and gals stand going into this final season.

I was going to mention baseball stadiums as well. Have guys hitting 60 home runs in Yankee stadium and a lot of them would be fly outs in Comerica park. Makes no sense.

Also just started Ted Lasso a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it, glad to see it's coming back soon so I won't have a big wait.

Archived