The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

On 2/18/2023 at 11:13 AM, Fragile Bird said:

So….there’s a blue monkey plushy toy with teeth that a shark would envy that young children are apparently obsessed with. It’s called Huggy Wuggy and videos on You Tube are giving kiddies nightmares. Anyone here buy one for their kiddos?

I have a fictional-fictional character (so a fictional character> Within a work of fiction) who is like a children's character. And I imagined it like Gumby 

Y'all remember Gumby?

Anyway, when I conceptualized this creature/character I imagined a Gumby, but with extended squiggling arms like that Spongebob character everyone my age was imbecilized by was sometimes prone to deploying

So Gumby, but with long squiggling arms above its head                                                              (United Jaces)

Well the story is about space fascism (Starship Troopers- permanent member of the Top Ten UJ Movies Security Council)

So the smart character (the bad one) is the one who has a fear reaction to this creature

Because it's a fascist society

So of course she does

And her foil is fun too :) 

No reactions allowed :mellow:

Do you think Verhoeven would be allowed to make movie AFTER Starship Troopers if theatered tomorrow? :(

On 2/18/2023 at 6:58 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Ha. You think I go outside when it’s colder than 50 degrees?

Heck no. I might get frostbite. 

Ah. I remember when fifty was considered cold. Ah... The halcyon days of fifty-degrees Celsius being a tolerable outdoor temperature. Truly we were wicked and undeserving of such luxuries. Now forgive me, I must return to my own time and place. The far-off future of July, next 

34 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I guess there isn’t a more apt time to share this piece of music. Well, what am I gonna do for three hours while I patiently wait for my scan? Other than radiate. :lol: 

Try and stay stable? 

(That's a radiation joke, and a play on the fact that I -myself- am... y'know... meet me halfway here!) 

8 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Ah. I remember when fifty was considered cold. Ah... The halcyon days of fifty-degrees Celsius being a tolerable outdoor temperature. Truly we were wicked and undeserving of such luxuries. Now forgive me, I must return to my own time and place. The far-off future of July, next 

Communist. 

12 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Try and stay stable? 

(That's a radiation joke, and a play on the fact that I -myself- am... y'know... meet me halfway here!) 

I would never have got the joke if you didn’t explain but :lol: it’s a good one :lol: 

32 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I apologize if my initial response was too flippant. 

Of course I hope your scan will come out well. 

Whatever would give you the impression that it was? :dunno: It 100% wasn’t, the idea wouldn’t even occur to me. Music’s never a wrong response. Chill, no worries.

And I know you do, even without saying :cheers: 

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

he parades have been closing down roads for weeks already.

Well it's over by tonight.  Then all you have to look forward to is St. Patrick's Day Beer and Cabbage Bombardment of Piss and Vomit and gridlock. 

A question for the hive mind.

I (and some other family members) have just been accused of "RVO" by a relative who seems to be under severe stress and losing it somewhat.

My google-fu has failed me, so does anyone know what "RVO" means?

I doubt it has anything to do with the Netherlands organisation, the eye condition, or the C++ feature. From context it might be a synonym of projection (in the psychological sense)?

Edit: and it definitely was not being used in the sense of "really good sex"!

Edited by A wilding

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I don’t live in New Orleans. 

That’s their problem. 

Ah -- Cajun country?  But you do have Mardi Gras, which should be over within hours -- though NO does it rather differently, so maybe that isn't so where you are?

~~~~~~~~~~

In the meantime , O MY!     . . . . I have been given a choice: dressage competition at the Royal Andalusian Riding School of Art -- or -- the School's spectacle, "How the Horses Dance."
I can do both, I'm told, but there are so many thing we want to do in Spain.  And to do both, would involve another short, backtracking train ride from Cadiz to Jerez.

Andalusians are my favorite breed, I think -- though Icelandic horses do give the Andies a run for the money, so to speak.

Edited by Zorral

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

In the meantime , O MY!     . . . . I have been given a choice: dressage competition at the Royal Andalusian Riding School of Art -- or -- the School's spectacle, "How the Horses Dance."

OMG!  OMG!  OMG!   .........I can't say more, speechless.      Lucky you!

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

no clue but let us know if you find out, because now I want to know too :D 

I am guessing it is a term that they picked up from some obscure online pop psychology article and immediately decided applied to them (which would be typical of them). Or perhaps it was just a typo. It was part of a slightly unhinged rant.

Still it doesn't matter, I was just curious. Someone is going round to try to find out what is going on and see what can be done to help out.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Lucky you!

O lordessa, am I ever!  Plus, you know among all the other stuff we're doing, which includes wine and food, and seeing some friends not seen since before covid.  Much of what we are doing/where we are going are historic places I've yearned to visit since the 4th grade, first learning of them, like the Alhambra.  Been on some fabulous trips in my privileged life, but this one, this one is really special.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:52 AM, RhaenysBee said:

no clue but let us know if you find out, because now I want to know too :D 

We have worked it out.

It stands for Reverse Victim and Offender. It is a technical psychological term relating to abuse cases, particularly sexual ones, basically meaning when the abuser claims that they were/are the one being abused. It appears to be a contraction of the much more widely used DARVO.

So I think that I am now feeling rather insulted!