The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

WTF is up with Dave Bautista's scalp? Is that what happens when you have too many facelifts?

I actually remember noticing that back when Dune came out but I just assumed it was part of the character design. Maybe some side effect of the steroids and hormones he has probably taken for most of his adult life. He is 54 and was a wrestler. Nothing about his physique is natural.

Did I ever post about my worry that I might develop a pill habit if I listen to people telling me to take an anxiety pill every time I’m mildly upset? Maybe I posted that elsewhere or only intended to post it but decided to spare you all eventually. 
well fuck that worry. I can totally take .25 mg Xanax twice a day, right? Google says so :cheers: 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:31 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Did I ever post about my worry that I might develop a pill habit if I listen to people telling me to take an anxiety pill every time I’m mildly upset? Maybe I posted that elsewhere or only intended to post it but decided to spare you all eventually. 
well fuck that worry. I can totally take .25 mg Xanax twice a day, right? Google says so :cheers: 

Take care of yourself. I only just caught up with your story here (haven't been on the forum much) and ... big hugs. :grouphug: I hope you feel both physically and mentally better.

I just want to share that my group of teenagers at school is the best group of teenagers. I never knew a teacher can actually become that attached to their students and be so proud of them. Yes, they can be moody and do silly stuff as teenagers do, but they are also so creative and clever and adorable that one just has to like them.

Suffice to say, "my" group has a lot of privileges with me, compared to the other groups I teach. :leaving: 

The best thing in the world is warmth. As far as I'm concerned, summer is one of the perfect things that exists on this planet. I was even born in summer - in July! I guess it lends more to the point. When summer comes around, I feel content, and someday I want to live in the Southwest. It's just a fantasy, yet I want to because summer makes me feel like a million dollars. The warmth of the air and the sun gives the feeling of safety and satisfaction. I am able to move past the barriers that startle my system. And as far as I am concerned, warmth means I am alright. Winter means I am indoors and that I cannot do much of anything. For one thing - drive, I do not like being out in winter. When it comes to cold weather, I am one to despise it beyond belief. The feeling of warmth wrapping around my skin sends me to the moon and back. It's exactly what people mean when they say "simple pleasures".

So, I started reading Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein for the first time last night (yes shame on me).  I noted she talks about electricity and “galvanic” (magnetic) force as though they are linked somehow.  Frankenstein was published in 1818.  James Clark Maxwell didn’t publish his “Dynamic Theory of Electomagnetism” until 1865.

Did Shelley anticipate Maxwell’s work or was the link between electricity and magnetism common knowledge in the early 19th century and Maxwell just formalized and prooved the link?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, I started reading Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein for the first time last night (yes shame on me).  I noted she talks about electricity and “galvanic” (magnetic) force as though they are linked somehow.  Frankenstein was published in 1818.  James Clark Maxwell didn’t publish his “Dynamic Theory of Electomagnetism” until 1865.

Did Shelley anticipate Maxwell’s work or was the link between electricity and magnetism common knowledge in the early 19th century and Maxwell just formalized and prooved the link?

Shelley is referring to theory of galvanism, named for Luigi Galvani who believed that animals were alive due to "animal electricity". 

Agreed. Galvanism was used by Shelly to provide a veneer of science and plausibility to her story in the same way that 1930 SF writers used the ether and 1950/60s comic writers used radioactivity (see the original origin stories of many Marvel superheroes).

7 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Agreed. Galvanism was used by Shelly to provide a veneer of science and plausibility to her story in the same way that 1930 SF writers used the ether and 1950/60s comic writers used radioactivity (see the original origin stories of many Marvel superheroes).

I get that.  Regardless… she (in my opinion) talks about “Electricity” and “Galvanism” as though they are one and the same… which Maxwell established conclusively in 1865.  You’re saying this isn’t an anticipation of Maxwell’s unification of Electricity and Magnetism?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I get that.  Regardless… she (in my opinion) talks about “Electricity” and “Galvanism” as though they are one and the same… which Maxwell established conclusively in 1865.  You’re saying this isn’t an anticipation of Maxwell’s unification of Electricity and Magnetism?

There are all sorts of people and texts speculating about "tellurgickal" powers and how they may or may not be connected, whether it be gravity, electricity, galvanism, magnetism, in the post Newton world.

Eta: see for example Louis xvi's commissioned studies on "animal magnetism" that Benjamin Franklin worked on, and then go ahead and compare this to galvanism.  These would be from the the late 1700's.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

1930's SF was just mentioned. A number of works accurately predicted modern technology from face timing on screen tablets to space stations orbiting Earth. Shit, people nearly 1,000 years ago speculated on how man could fly. 

We don't always have new ideas, just new means to achieve them.