The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

1930's SF was just mentioned. A number of works accurately predicted modern technology from face timing on screen tablets to space stations orbiting Earth. Shit, people nearly 1,000 years ago speculated on how man could fly. 

We don't always have new ideas, just new means to achieve them.

An excellent point.  However, the link between Electricity and Magnetism seems like more of a leap than people who already have electric lights, radios, planes, and telephones speculating about TV phones and flying to other planets.  

The link between Electricity and Magnetism seems more of an abstract speculation from Shelley than the space operas of the 1930s that were concrete builds upon existing technology.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

An excellent point.  However, the link between Electricity and Magnetism seems like more of a leap than people who already have electric lights, radios, planes, and telephones speculating about TV phones and flying to other planets.  

The link between Electricity and Magnetism seems more of an abstract speculation from Shelley than the space operas of the 1930s that were concrete builds upon existing technology.

The link had been considered and explored for a long time before Shelley or Maxwell.  And Oersted showed a link between the two around Shelley's time.  

12 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

The link had been considered and explored for a long time before Shelley or Maxwell.  And Oersted showed a link between the two around Shelley's time.  

So… Maxwell formalized and proved up a link that people had seen for a long time?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Again, Shelley was not talking about magnetism when she referred to galvanism. She was referring to the idea of electricity being produced through and inherent to biochemistry.

25 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… Maxwell formalized and proved up a link that people had seen for a long time?

He proved more than "a link".  He came up with a working theory of electromagnetism and the math to support it, which is different than electricity plus magnets.  The Jesuits had talked about electromagnetism in the late seventeenth century but it wasn't an understanding of (or even a prediction of) the electromagnetic spectrum.  I'm sure any physics person could explain this better.  

Shelley's use of electricity and magnetism as an explanation for the monster-creating tech aren't the same as Maxwell's "electromagnetism" even though they use the similar words.  

Edited by Larry of the Lake

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I get that.  Regardless… she (in my opinion) talks about “Electricity” and “Galvanism” as though they are one and the same… which Maxwell established conclusively in 1865.  You’re saying this isn’t an anticipation of Maxwell’s unification of Electricity and Magnetism?

Well before Maxwell, Faraday showed that there was a link by showing a current carrying wire has a magnetic field associated with it. Faraday did not have the math to show why this is so. Maxwell needed Hamilton's quaternions to create his equations.

There is a YT channel called Kathy Loves Physics and History that explains all this in much more detail than I ever could. If anything it does show how intelligent and well read a teenage Mary Shelley actually was.

Edited by maarsen
clarity

I can't stand Paltrow, but suing someone for a crash on a ski slope is f'ing bullshit.  Unless there is video evidence of someone doing something obviously dangerous (or if the crash is between a skier and a snowboarder and then you know the snowboarder is to blame). 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can't stand Paltrow, but suing someone for a crash on a ski slope is f'ing bullshit.  Unless there is video evidence of someone doing something obviously dangerous (or if the crash is between a skier and a snowboarder and then you know the snowboarder is to blame). 

I hadn’t paid any attention to this story, but skiing accidents are real (though relatively rare) and people get killed. A quick look shows about 45 people on average die in the US each year and another 45 are very badly, permanently, injured. The Alps had an exceptionally bad year a couple of years ago and 100 people died. More than 80% of deaths are those of young men.

Looking at the Paltrow story, both are claiming they were hit by the other. The plaintiff, though, started by suing her for $3.1 M, now reduced to $300,000, and claimed Paltrow and company picked themselves up and skied away. Apparently all the members of her party checked on him and he told them he was fine. 

My sympathies run with Paltrow.

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Someone bought their dog into the office. And it shit everywhere. And it stinks. And none of the windows open. And that's why the police keep making mistakes. 

...like taking a not housetrained dog to work.

But I think, we all know that someone was Cruella B. herself. That's part of her motivating coppers to show more presence on the street (by making the offices uninhabitable). So one not housetrained dog for every police station. Vote Tory. 

The cheap ass amusement park operator only compensated this (failed bungee chord) poor bastard $300.

Imagine the settlement costs if this had happened at Disney/Six Flags or a major sized park? (7 figures minimum id speculate).

The 39-year-old tourist opted for a bungee jump after being dared to by his friends. He was left with multiple injuries after the cord snapped seconds into his jump.

Video at the link, amazed he didnt snap his neck!

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/03/23/thailand-bungee-jump-accident.cnn

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I thought about posting this in the Mental Health thread because it is breaking me.  A lot of unpack here...

O.M.G.

I thought I’d seen every kind of stupidity in these last three years of Covid-19.

Just back from four days in Mallorca (off-peak, almost everything was shut when we arrived). 
Achieved peak Scottishness by getting sunburn on my arms and neck despite it never exceeding 17deg C.

My four year old had redness tonher arms but luckily she and my wife have some eastern European heritage (in-laws are Israeli) among other bits maybe, so their skin is more sun resistent.