The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Me either, unless you are an actual mechanic i don't think anyone does.  I tend to end up buying the ones my wife likes the look of (i just had to spend £1500 extra for an identical car, because she wanted the white one and not the gold one, that's not a hill I'm prepared to die on). 

What did you end up getting?

I wish I could get the Honda Civic I had in India. Don't see too many of those here. Mostly Hyundai.

Though the people that buy Renault - who hurt you?

5 hours ago, Ran said:

Hah, yes. The upscale Germans, I should have said! Those three all cluster together in the sales ranks for some reason.

Altho, AUDI is owned by Volkswagen. 

VW is bloody huge (biggest car producer in the world if I am not mistaken).

Following companies are owned by VW.

AUDI, Porsche (well, not entirely but they hold 75% or so of the stocks), Lamborghini (didn't know that one), Ducati, Bentley, Scout, SEAT, Cupra (never heard of them) and Skoda. And that's just cars and motorbikes. They also own some truck and utility cars manufacturers like MAN (or what's left of it), Navistar and scania.

Fun fact to confuse everybody the Porsche (Automobil Holding) SE is the majority owner of VW (53% or something). And no, Porsche Automobil Holding and the car mannufacturer (Porsche) are not the same thing. And Porsche Holding GmbH (or limmited) is something differet and a complete subsidiary of VW. 

Not gonna lie, I want to get an Audi as I'm in the market too, but the repair costs/risks on those guys are high if you're not getting a new and higher end model. 

Maybe we need a car shopping thread if there isn't already an old one. Clearly it's not a small issue. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

What did you end up getting?

I wish I could get the Honda Civic I had in India. Don't see too many of those here. Mostly Hyundai.

Though the people that buy Renault - who hurt you?

Hyundai i30 estate (automatic, was late to that party but i dont know why anyone wouldnt, its like driving a go cart).

Got good reviews for reliability and safety compared to its competitors. And with 2 kids a big boot Is all I really care about. 

I'm really not a car person at all. I find the whole business of cars draining, other than their utility. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

58 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Hyundai i30 estate (automatic, was late to that party but i dont know why anyone wouldnt, its like driving a go cart).

Got good reviews for reliability and safety compared to its competitors. And with 2 kids a big boot Is all I really care about. 

I'm really not a car person at all. I find the whole business of cars draining, other than their utility. 

i30 is a solid choice, imo. I think all the cars in that line i10, i20 & i30 are all quite decent. I drove the i10 for years.

I can't see myself going back to manual even though that's what I learned on.

My son is very 'tah dah' aged nearly 2, he loves an accessory, flamboyant dance moves and wearing high heels and dresses.

Malicious or hilarious asking his right wing grandad to buy him a princess outfit for his upcoming birthday?

Caveat, other than being a tory he is an amazing grandad. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

I am a literal needle cushion. :lol: my belly hurts and there’s no room for more hormone injections. My left arm vein is inflamed because there’s only so much blood work and contrast agent branulas it can handle. Looks like a proper heroine addict, I could be an arm double in a movie. So I’m going to an art gallery and shopping and I’ll have a croissant for breakfast because I deserve that at least, if Hollywood won’t hire my arm. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My son is very 'tah dah' aged neatly 2, he loves an accessory, flamboyant dance moves and wearing high heels and dresses.

Malicious or hilarious asking his right wing grandad to buy him a princess outfit for his upcoming birthday?

Caveat, other than being a tory he is an amazing grandad. 

Can it be both?

Do any of you ever get into a cold bed and horizontally run a bit to warm it up? Like a dog spinning in its spot before nodding off.

I was asleep on the couch when my girl let herself in after her late shift and went to bed. When I moved rooms to my half the bed, I did the leg warmup. She's still mostly asleep and reaches over and scratches my back and says "Who's a good boy" and goes back to snoring. If I had a tail it'd still be wagging.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Do any of you ever get into a cold bed and horizontally run a bit to warm it up? Like a dog spinning in its spot before nodding off.

I was asleep on the couch when my girl let herself in after her late shift and went to bed. When I moved rooms to my half the bed, I did the leg warmup. She's still mostly asleep and reaches over and scratches my back and says "Who's a good boy" and goes back to snoring. If I had a tail it'd still be wagging.

Anytime anybody asked me what was my pet peeve I could never really give a proper answer because I thought I didn’t have one. No particular thing annoyed me in a way that stood out from other things that annoyed me. Until now. This one thing always annoyed me, per we, but with my social circle aging to late 20s-early 30s my level of annoyance at it quadrupled. 

I know what my pet peeve is now. It’s when an adult, a grown-ass woman approaching or just past 30 years of age is unable to run her life and entertain herself for 5 goddamn days on her own without a partner/spouse, who’s away for business or leisure without her. STOHP IT. You can take the trash down on your own, you can get to work on your own, you can spend your free time on your own, your life makes sense if you eat a meal alone or step out of your apartment alone. And trust me, believe me, neither the thunderstorm, nor the emergency repairman you have to call yourself is going to kill you. 

I realize that my level of hyper independence is also not in the healthy range of the gauss curve but dude no adult should break down in hysterics when they have to manage without their partner for days, not even weeks, day-yz that I can count on one hand. FFS.

Edited by RhaenysBee

Ocmulgee Mounds to be USA's next (likely) National Park.

I was stunned trying to wrap my thoughts around the following from the article on this-

"The dirt and clay earthen mounds found in Macon, Georgia, were once part of a capital-like city for what is now the Muscogee Creek Nation. Carbon dating of archaeological artifacts shows that the site predates Göbekli Tepe (a Neolithic archaeological site in Turkey) by some 5,000 years, the Tower of Jericho by 9,000 years, Stonehenge by 12,000 years, and Persepolis by 14,500 years."

https://www.afar.com/magazine/the-u-s-could-be-getting-a-new-national-park-in-2023#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16827588226999&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.afar.com%2Fmagazine%2Fthe-u-s-could-be-getting-a-new-national-park-in-2023

"Set between the rolling hills of northern Georgia and the flat plains of southern Georgia is a park with more than 17,000 years of continuous human history."

Just the thought of visiting something that dates so early into pre-history is awe inspiring in a way that aggressively strums the humility chords for me.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

22 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

It tasted a lot like grass.  This time I used only the leaves.  Next time I'll add some flowers.

I've never eaten grass because I thought it would taste like grass. On balance, I think my instincts must have moved me to think that this would be a bad thing. 

I hope the flowers improve your next attempt, unless you liked the initial one, in which case I hope the flowers intensify the grassy depth of flavour until it tastes even more like grass. 

38 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

It tasted a lot like grass.  This time I used only the leaves.  Next time I'll add some flowers.

Flower only, the stem is bitter. Friends made tea from the roots, ate the leaves in salad, added the flowers to tea to…make it sweeter, I think.