The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hard pass. I'd rather take the pain.

Really?  I love it, you're kind of out of it during the procedure but once the tap is off, you are perfectly normal again.  I have a lot of stress around dental procedures, so it makes it much better for me and the dentist.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Really?  I love it, you're kind of out of it during the procedure but once the tap is off, you are perfectly normal again.  I have a lot of stress around dental procedures, so it makes it much better for me and the dentist.

Eh, we all have things we don't like. The dentist has never been one for me.

We went to our first BwB meetup in 2007 in Edinburgh after we got married in Glasgow. The group freaked out at Canadian cig packages and the super graphic images. They've gotten worse since then, and now they are amping up. Won't deter the hardcore smokers, but hopefully it will click for some an further encourage people not to start. 

A small customer service rant.

Today I phoned an insurance company. While I waited in the inevitable queue to speak to a real person, ignoring all the stuff about it being easier to do everything online (not in this case) they played me a message. Paraphrasing somewhat it was: "We pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service. Therefore, during this exceptionally busy period, when you get through to a customer service agent, please be polite." I had plenty of time to think about this message while I waited and it was played at me twice more before I eventually got through to someone (who was able to deal with my problem).

Firstly, every single time I have phoned some customer service for the last many years I have invariably been told that they were in an exceptionally busy period. Hire some more staff, or own up to the fact that you have budgeted for customers having a significant wait!

Secondly, being English, I am always polite. Especially when what I am saying is particularly vicious.

But mainly I was just deconstructing that message. They pride themselves on their exceptional customer service, apparently without even noticing that the "exceptionally" long wait means they have clearly failed to provide it. But it felt more fundamental than that. They don't care what their actual customer service is. They take pride in the simple fact of projecting a PR image of themselves as providing an exceptional service, and the reality is irrelevant. Whoever came up with that script needs to get over themselves because the cracks are showing.

Downtown Manhattan and a part of Brooklyn was without internet from 10 AM until, in our case at least, after 4:30 PM.  This included the city government and agencies. Evidently there was a street cut (you cannot believe how much this city's torn up with construction and yet, nothing ever seems to get completed or changed) of fiber optic cables, which Spectrum's people didn't find until sometime between 2 and 4.

Not related, we think., this morning Microsoft went out for Manhattan, and that email account of mine is still not working properly at nearly 7 PM, at least with the Chrome browser, though it will with some others.

Lower Manhattan has not had a happy Monday!

I watched one of the biggest bumblebees I've ever seen jump from flower to flower for like 10-15 minutes. It was unique and beautiful in its own way. Makes it all the sadder when you hear/read stories of bees dying off. 

My radiation therapy concluded. It feels weird because now they are like ‘Kay, see you in November. And I have all this anxiety about what if something goes wrong in the meanwhile. I hate my brain. It will be fine. As soon as my reflux symptoms go away I will celebrate this milestone with a nice drink and a nice cake. 

In other news, I’m on such a reading roll. I have finished 7 books that I had piled up over the past months. I may actually finish all the books waiting to be read on my shelf and I can greenlight my buying more books! Lovely. 

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched one of the biggest bumblebees I've ever seen jump from flower to flower for like 10-15 minutes. It was unique and beautiful in its own way. Makes it all the sadder when you hear/read stories of bees dying off. 

We have a bee hotel in our garden. Poor wee things.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I got my Certificate of Grant from the UK Patent Office today.

I am inventor.

Now fucking make me a public bathroom where I don't physically have to touch the lock on the door to a stall. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

We have a bee hotel in our garden. Poor wee things.

It's not feasible right now, but I'd like to try backyard beekeeping at some point in my life. 

I took a woman out on my bike yesterday, it was entirely her fault (she admitted to the reporting officers who also witnessed it) when she walked out between stationary cars and didn't even check the direction i was coming from.  Every injury i have is on a part of my body i would normally sleep on, i'm exhausted and my bike needs some repairs, you can't even sue a pedestrian, at least when i get knocked off by a car i can look to get some compensation.  12 years of cycling 100+ miles a week in london and its only my 2nd accident, not bad odds. 

i have to say she took it like a champ.  

Edited by BigFatCoward

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Now fucking make me a public bathroom where I don't physically have to touch the lock on the door to a stall. 

It's not feasible right now, but I'd like to try backyard beekeeping at some point in my life. 

Use a tissue

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Use a tissue

I do, but it's 2023 damnit! 

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

just shit with the door open. 

I always knew you were the dude who shits in public bathrooms with a "wide stance." 

I've seen pictures of the smoke in NYC and it is really very thick. Holy Cow! These types of fires can last for weeks and so can the smoke.  Living in California and Nevada for the last 20 years I am very familiar with this type of smoke inundation.  Really feel for Canada, their forests and their people.    :frown5: