The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, dog-days said:

I've never eaten grass because I thought it would taste like grass. On balance, I think my instincts must have moved me to think that this would be a bad thing. 

I hope the flowers improve your next attempt, unless you liked the initial one, in which case I hope the flowers intensify the grassy depth of flavour until it tastes even more like grass. 

The grassy tea was interesting but not something that I want to experience again.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Flower only, the stem is bitter. Friends made tea from the roots, ate the leaves in salad, added the flowers to tea to…make it sweeter, I think.

Definitely using flowers only next time, thanks.

Regarding eating uncommon plants, do people realize the radich leaves are quite good in salads?

I had been trimming and tossing them for years before I knew that. There fine in combination with spinach, kale, or spring mix etc.

On 4/29/2023 at 11:51 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Anytime anybody asked me what was my pet peeve I could never really give a proper answer because I thought I didn’t have one. No particular thing annoyed me in a way that stood out from other things that annoyed me. Until now. This one thing always annoyed me, per we, but with my social circle aging to late 20s-early 30s my level of annoyance at it quadrupled. 

I know what my pet peeve is now. It’s when an adult, a grown-ass woman approaching or just past 30 years of age is unable to run her life and entertain herself for 5 goddamn days on her own without a partner/spouse, who’s away for business or leisure without her. STOHP IT. You can take the trash down on your own, you can get to work on your own, you can spend your free time on your own, your life makes sense if you eat a meal alone or step out of your apartment alone. And trust me, believe me, neither the thunderstorm, nor the emergency repairman you have to call yourself is going to kill you. 

I realize that my level of hyper independence is also not in the healthy range of the gauss curve but dude no adult should break down in hysterics when they have to manage without their partner for days, not even weeks, day-yz that I can count on one hand. FFS.

ooh, pet peeves. That's a goldmine of a topic.

One of mine is when I'm taking freshly cleaned clothes from the dryer, and some small items spill from the pile onto the fucking floor. I know, I know, no big deal, right? I tell myself that, for sure. But in that moment, it's like the gods are laughing in my face. Fuck you, stray sock, and the gods you rode in on!

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

Also on pet peeves, dual light switches where one is a fan other is light, you need the light but invariably guess incorrectly (like 100 damn times in a row).

I may resort to a neon idiot proof stickum if I cannot train myself to throw the correct switch.

Ive been in this home 5 yrs already and I still consistently hit the opposite of whichever function im wanting from the switch and there are multiple location upstairs and down where im doing it, again its been 5 yrs, im utterly hopeless. 

3 of them you have a 50/50 chance, the other 2 theres 4 switches which i actually have better luck with, weirdly on the 4 switches my memory kicks in.

Its the 50/50 style that I get wrong 100 out of 101 times!:bang:

Eta: Come to think of theres a 6th switch on the opposite the fireplace that has multiple indoor/outdoor floodlights/frp fan/ceiling lights, that ive found so complicated, im avoiding altogether.:lmao:

Eta2:

I should have had a clue when meeting the home inspector that 1st time. He informed/admitted to me, that the front overhead lights were on and he couldnt work out how to turn them off, so he just left them on after his inspection.:thumbsup:

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

10 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

The grassy tea was interesting but not something that I want to experience again.

I rarely drink hot tea but love iced tea and drink it w/o sugar or milk.  The flavor reminds me of hay and having previously owned and been around horses I have fed plenty of hay and I don't mind that all, I like it. 

21 hours ago, LongRider said:

I rarely drink hot tea but love iced tea and drink it w/o sugar or milk.  The flavor reminds me of hay and having previously owned and been around horses I have fed plenty of hay and I don't mind that all, I like it. 

And the ticket price! $50,000 for a ticket, $300,000 for a table!

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The Met Gala is the most stupid and wanky thing on the planet.  What a bunch of self indulgent pricks. 

I dunno ... it was more entertaining than the coronation will be.  :lol:

Not to mention more entertaining than footy.  Or horror flix. Or comix superheroes, or endless supreme violence hero flix, etc.

Plus, you know, raises lots of money for the Met -- which probably shouldn't be confused as rasing millions for Art!  :lol:

Edited by Zorral

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

And the ticket price! $50,000 for a ticket, $300,000 for a table!

And you have to be invited to spend that money, and have your guests approved by the board!  So ... who isn't there is as interesting as those who are.  :lol:

One of my closest friends always makes the gown for one of the celebrities, killing herself to meet the deadline, and then, as one year, Beyonce -- or was it Rhianna? --  I don't recall which one, or maybe it was another Big Woman In Charge Of Her World -- just decided not to show up after all.  And my friend had to be there herself for the last minute sewing into, and then the adjustments when the outer layer was to be discarded, and so she hadn't even been able to get to sleep.  My friend was quite unhappy.

It's finals week.  When one student was handing hers in today she gave me a cup filled with candy bars as a thank you.  She's easily my best student this semester across four classes, has an average over 100%.  Wrote an outstanding research paper comparing and contrasting the civil rights movement with the current BLM movement - only one I graded 100.  Anyway, it was very sweet and heartwarming.

Edited by DMC

6 hours ago, DMC said:

It's finals week.  When one student was handing hers in today she gave me a cup filled with candy bars as a thank you.  She's easily my best student this semester across four classes, has an average over 100%.  Wrote an outstanding research paper comparing and contrasting the civil rights movement with the current BLM movement - only one I graded 100.  Anyway, it was very sweet and heartwarming.

How do you average over 100%? 

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

By curving tests.  Extra credit would be another way.

i have never heard that expression in my life.  Google makes me think it might be the weirdest thing i've ever heard.