The Small Stuff That Doesn’t Need a Thread #5

Fragile Bird

9 hours ago, Zorral said:

Happy First Day of Summer and Summer Solstice everybody!

That mostly depends on to which authority on the seasons you defer, and where you live. For a lot of people it's 1 June, for others it's 1 December or 22 December. I also understand that for some places the start of summer depends on when the first 5 day average maximum is above a certain temperature. It's a complicated world we live in, even on something seemingly so simple as when a season starts. I am however happy to see the shortest day for 2023 put behind me. Happy winter solstice everybody!

On a different topic to round out the thread, I see the EU parliament has voted to bring back user replaceable batteries in portable devices like cell phones. I can sort of see the appeal of that, but really there are other issues with cell phone longevity that seems to mean phones become functionally obsolete before their original battery having an unusably short time between charges.

19 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m trying to purchase a cordless vacuum cleaner that doesn’t cost €500+ but say stays within a reasonable 250-350 range. It appears that Tesla produces a cordless vacuum cleaner at a reasonable price. Anybody ever tried this or owned other Tesla household appliance? 

GTech Air Ram for the win. 

Gay Pride Weekend/Parade may be eclipsed by the Russian-Prigozhin encounter.  To have Gay Pride Day eclipsed in this city, is, well really something! Also rain, off and on – it may rain on the parade tomorrow -- but I’ve been mesmerized by history. 

But Gay Pride 2023 is also part of history, including that of the Russian invasion into Ukraine, and then Russia invading Russia. Russian history is nothing if not as crazy quilted as everyone else's.  That we celebrate Gay Pride here in the West is a reason Putin insists that western leading Ukraine must be officially put back into the reestablishment of Russia's xtain empire.

Edited by Zorral

This morning my mom tried to grab a baby mouse out of the sink. Instead the thing jumped into the sleeve of her bathrobe and crawled up and clung to her back on the shirt she was wearing underneath. She went outside, took the robe off and shook it off. Must have been a hilarious scene. 

Got woken early today by some banging noise in the shower. 

Was kinda worried and started imagining things about those urban myths/horrorstories about rats climbing all the way up from the toilette... Took a deep breath expected to find and confront the rodent. Alas, it was merely a freaking  bird finding it's way through the tilted window (German window obviously). 

Next question how do I get that bloody bird out, without it totally panicking and flying with full force against the window or mirror repeatedly knocking itself out. Luckily while I was asking myself that question, it managed find its way out the way it came in. Good news, bird is out alive, it didn't cause any damages, and it cap anywhere (at least I couldn't see anything).

Oh, and neighbours I like reasonably well, have renamed their home network (wlan) to unvaccinated:rolleyes:

Used to be Family Smith (not their real name obviously).

Fam of four, and had this semi-annoying discussion with the mum about how she didn't know anybody who has died of covid and how the covid restrictions were totally blown out of poportions. Bit annoying and disappointing, as they are otherwise very chill folks.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I became a lot more used to going to job interviews recently - I was on three of them in the past two weeks, and am going on another one on Friday. Today, I got one rejection (I expected that, since I haven't heard from them for two weeks, when they said they would inform the chosen candidate sooner) and one job offer, which is sadly the one I only applied to ... just because? It is in a very inconvenient location and also not as good a place to work at, I think. I need to wait for the two other places to decide (the one I interviewed at last week and the one I am going to on Friday).

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I became a lot more used to going to job interviews recently - I was on three of them in the past two weeks, and am going on another one on Friday. Today, I got one rejection (I expected that, since I haven't heard from them for two weeks, when they said they would inform the chosen candidate sooner) and one job offer, which is sadly the one I only applied to ... just because? It is in a very inconvenient location and also not as good a place to work at, I think. I need to wait for the two other places to decide (the one I interviewed at last week and the one I am going to on Friday).

Good luck!  Hope they make the correct choice and employ you with multiple perks to keep you happy and motivated. 

I have a bit of a history of getting the unexpected/less wanted job. As in, I apply for jobs I want with the big organisation whom I'm already working for, and don't get them. But I apply for a job on a whim that is either less suited to me, or is in a somewhat different field, and I'm offered it the next day. 

I don't know if it's because when I go for a job that I really want and think I'm suited to, the nerves get me in the interview. Or because going for a less obvious choice of job makes me appear more enthusiastic, since I'm not applying for more of the same. The insecure side of me says that it's because no organisation that I work for would want to keep me. 

Applied for a job last week and didn't even make it to interview, but on balance I'm not disappointed, because my current job is better suited to me and interests me more, even if it has its frustrations. If HR gave me a large pay raise, and would let me work remotely thus closer to my hometown, I wouldn't be looking for another job at all.

20 hours ago, dog-days said:

Good luck!  Hope they make the correct choice and employ you with multiple perks to keep you happy and motivated. 

I have a bit of a history of getting the unexpected/less wanted job. As in, I apply for jobs I want with the big organisation whom I'm already working for, and don't get them. But I apply for a job on a whim that is either less suited to me, or is in a somewhat different field, and I'm offered it the next day. 

I don't know if it's because when I go for a job that I really want and think I'm suited to, the nerves get me in the interview. Or because going for a less obvious choice of job makes me appear more enthusiastic, since I'm not applying for more of the same. The insecure side of me says that it's because no organisation that I work for would want to keep me. 

Applied for a job last week and didn't even make it to interview, but on balance I'm not disappointed, because my current job is better suited to me and interests me more, even if it has its frustrations. If HR gave me a large pay raise, and would let me work remotely thus closer to my hometown, I wouldn't be looking for another job at all.

I applied for a bunch of internal jobs back in 2019. Ended upngrtting the one I wanted least (was temp and lowest paid). I was siccessful in applying for it when it became permanent 18 months later, at a higher grade.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Just ordered this bad boy - an immitation Raiders of the Lost Ark leather jacket. By rights I should have ordered it in the more authentic calfskin but opted for ‘pre-distressed’ cowskin.

https://wested.com/collections/raiders-jackets/products/raiders-of-lost-ark-leather-jacket-in-pre-distressed-hide-452-p

3 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Just ordered this bad boy - an immitation Raiders of the Lost Ark leather jacket. By rights I should have ordered it in the more authentic calfskin but opted for ‘pre-distressed’ cowskin.

https://wested.com/collections/raiders-jackets/products/raiders-of-lost-ark-leather-jacket-in-pre-distressed-hide-452-p

Those are really reasonable prices for the jacket. Nice.

Now you just need the hat.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Those are really reasonable prices for the jacket. Nice.

Now you just need the hat.

Funny that the hat costs a lot more. Honestly I always have wanted the hat Muldoon wore. And that's pretty cheap by comparison. 

And he needs the whip too. Thankfully they're pretty cheap. 

15 hours ago, dog-days said:

Thank you! I hope so too.

There are no perks though. These are all highly systemised public sector jobs. There is no such thing as negotiation for the pay or perks.

15 hours ago, dog-days said:

I hope they allow more remote work ij the future! Good luck.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Funny that the hat costs a lot more. Honestly I always have wanted the hat Muldoon wore. And that's pretty cheap by comparison. 

And he needs the whip too. Thankfully they're pretty cheap. 

I’ll skip the hat and whip :P

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Thank you! I hope so too.

There are no perks though. These are all highly systemised public sector jobs. There is no such thing as negotiation for the pay or perks.

Thought that might be the case. Can they at least promise you comfy armchairs without nicotine stains in the staff room, and space in the fridge? 

38 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Thought that might be the case. Can they at least promise you comfy armchairs without nicotine stains in the staff room, and space in the fridge? 

I have the shittest office in the world, but I do have my own fridge which is the height of my ambition. It holds about 40 cans of diet coke. And has a little freezer part for ice lollies for the team when they please me.