Football: A League United

polishgenius

6 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Had the nerve to do a 180 /cdn-cgi/mirage/e25331832050ff4023a38ab50ab5dd38b9039a29e11e3be17b02711a4faca532/1280/https://asoiaf.westeros.org/uploads/emoticons/default_lol.gif

You have to admire the chutzpah. 

8 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Modric is a machine. 38 years old and he's still top class. Left Liverpool's midfield in the dust.

It just completely blows my mind that Klopp never really bothered to renew that midfield. Like it was never the center of the team as far as creativity or attacking drive went, but the whole shape depended on the midfield being able to press well and shuttle the ball fast, and now they're not doing that it's an empty hole. 

Even more bizarre because the players they'd need to renew it aren't a particularly hard profile to find. Henderson has been a good player and I get why Liverpool fans love him, but there are multiple players around who could step into that role, most Prem teams have someone at that level or pretty close. But instead, after Kieta didn't work out, they got a Thiago past his best days to replace Wijnaldum, then called it a day. 

With all the well earnt criticism of Liverpool, let's not forget that came close to win every trophy last season. So that they'd implode in such a spectacular fashion was probably not high on anybody's pre-season prediction. 

They figured they needed/wanted to refresh their attacking pool first, as their profile is a bit harder to match, than the qualities they want from their midfielders. And seeing how last season unfolded, I can kinda understand why they missed the urgency of their midfield rebuilt. 

Henderson is washed for two years. Keita never quite settled due to injuries. They kinda hoped for Elliott and Jones to step up. Elliott shows in glimpses, that there might be a player in there somewhere. Jones' development stalled, or he has hit his ceiling, which is too low for Liverpool. Thiago looked good over periods (partly even excellent). The biggest problem for Liverpool is how Fabinho has fallen off a cliff completely this season. And for him there's virtually no cover. It's that bloody CDM position, that looks so unspectacular on the pitch, but is yet so vital. I don't need to tell a United fan about it, do I? Without Fabinho the entire structure of the Liverpool game collapses. The wingbacks (TAA in particular) get exposed defensively, the CBs get overloaded. 

But all of that falls a bit short, when you try to explain Liverpool's collapse. Liverpool under Klopp have been a team, that excelled at getting basics right. Being tight, challenging opponents, run that extra mile (figuratively and often times literally), and not give the ball away cheaply and stupidly.  That's completely gone this season.

Basically what I'm saying is Liverpool should buy three of Ruben Neves, Mac Allister, Tielemans, Palhinha, Billing, McGinn (or Jacob Ramsey), Cheick Doucoure, Soucek etc and they'll be fine.

(not quite any three- they'd look a bit silly if they bought all the less defensive ones)

I'm not against an independent regulator, but Sullivan isn't wrong about the government. 

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan: “A football regulator is a terrible idea.

"The government are terrible at running everything - look at the mess the country is in.

"We pay the highest taxes ever for the worst service from the worst government I’ve seen in my lifetime.

"The regulator will have a huge staff that football will have to pay for. It will be a total waste of money. I bet it grows in size and cost every year.

"The Premier League is the best run and most successful league in the world. It gives more to the lower leagues and the PFA and the grassroots than any other top league in the world. It’s a fantastic export.

"Why does an incompetent government think it will improve things?

"In every area this government is involved in, it has provided a worse service.

"The government are doing this for PR. They think it will be a PR win to be seen to back the ordinary football supporter and smaller clubs, but it won’t get them a single extra vote.

"I believe in free enterprise, not government interference.”

48 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

John Motson has died, thats pretty sad, he was the voice of football for the vast majority of my life. 

I was just about to post the same thing. He’s been a part of football on tv for pretty much all my life. Strange to think there won’t be another game he commentates on.

I agree with David Sullivan.

An independent regulator is a stupid idea.

If the government wants to protect the pyramid then they should make sure that the existing institutions (the Premier League, EFL, FA) that are supposed to be the custodians of the game are doing just that.

Pointless to put into place yet another governing body.

Archived