Football: A League United

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

I agree with David Sullivan.

An independent regulator is a stupid idea.

If the government wants to protect the pyramid then they should make sure that the existing institutions (the Premier League, EFL, FA) that are supposed to be the custodians of the game are doing just that.

Pointless to put into place yet another governing body.

So, you say an independent regulator is a stupid idea but the government should make sure the existing institutions are doing their job right? Isn't ensuring that everyone does their job right exactly what the independent regulator should/would do?

I must be missing something here, so I'd appreciate the clarification.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

"The Premier League is the best run and most successful league in the world. It gives more to the lower leagues and the PFA and the grassroots than any other top league in the world. It’s a fantastic export.

This guy seems to forget that 6 of the Premier League teams wanted to create a Superleague a year ago, and that the most successful club of the last decade is under investigation for a 100 financial offences. If we add the travesty that is VAR and shockingly bad level of refereeing, I'd say his praises of how PL is run are a bit over the top.

10 minutes ago, baxus said:

So, you say an independent regulator is a stupid idea but the government should make sure the existing institutions are doing their job right? Isn't ensuring that everyone does their job right exactly what the independent regulator should/would do?

I must be missing something here, so I'd appreciate the clarification.

What I'm saying is that if the government actually wants to protect the football pyramid then the government has the power to take a firmer hand with the existing institutions in order to do that. There's no need to create yet another governing body. Football clubs are going to have to fund this independent regulator so more money is going to be taken out of the game just to fund another layer of (unneeded) bureaucracy.

Anyway, I don't believe that the government actually gives a shit about the football pyramid. This is just an opportunity to score some PR points and, more importantly, appoint their mates to well paying top positions at the regulator.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

What I'm saying is that if the government actually wants to protect the football pyramid then the government has the power to take a firmer hand with the existing institutions in order to do that. There's no need to create yet another governing body. Football clubs are going to have to fund this independent regulator so more money is going to be taken out of the game just to fund another layer of (unneeded) bureaucracy.

Anyway, I don't believe that the government actually gives a shit about the football pyramid. This is just an opportunity to score some PR points and, more importantly, appoint their mates to well paying top positions at the regulator.

I assume there's no government agency or office or a department that already works on this so one would have to be made, and that would also be a sort of an independent regulator, wouldn't it? And I'm sorry, but I won't shed any tears on billionaire owners having to pay for a body that would make sure they don't overstep the lines.

No argument about the second paragraph, though.

46 minutes ago, baxus said:

I assume there's no government agency or office or a department that already works on this so one would have to be made, and that would also be a sort of an independent regulator, wouldn't it? And I'm sorry, but I won't shed any tears on billionaire owners having to pay for a body that would make sure they don't overstep the lines.

No argument on this being about the second paragraph, though.

Owners won't be paying for any of it. Clubs having to foot the bill from their own revenue is the most likely scenario. That's fine for the rich clubs but not so good for the have nots. There's also no need to create a whole new government agency to accomplish any of the stated purposes of the regulator. Preventing clubs joining a super league, stricter financial controls, more stringent owners and directors test, fairer distribution of revenue from the PL down the pyramid are in the process of being implemented (some already implemented) by the existing bodies.

None of the other top leagues in Europe need a government agency to handle any of that and neither does England. Also, I find it unlikely that the owners and directors test, for instance, would be any more stringent under a government regulator than whatever the PL implements. Let's not forget that it was government officials leaning on the Premier League to approve Saudi Arabia's takeover of Newcastle. This regulator is just going to end up as a vehicle to line the pockets of government bureaucrats.

Considering that Barca is on the verge of bankruptcy, Juventus is under investigation for fraud and City's charged with a 100 breaches of rules regarding finances, I'd say the need for a regulating body (or bodies) in European football is huge.

We can discuss what would be the best way to implement that regulator, and I'm against government involvement as much as the next guy, but let's be honest and say that respective leagues, national FAs and UEFA/FIFA haven't really done a great job so far.

Weghorst as a 10 has worked in recent games. As has Bruno out wide- he fucking slapped Leicester from there at the weekend. Clearly in this situation it didn't quite come together, and we've got to be ready to change it as we did, but it's not something ETH's been doing for no reason. In the right situation it's a good way to bring out both their strengths while covering for their weaknesses. 

Also: Fred absolutely walked off with the game in the second half. Barcelona couldn't handle him at all. 

Archived