Football: A League United

polishgenius

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, players do go for that, but Arsenal signed Trossard for 27mil for the exact same role and with an actually proven ability to play across the front. Dango Ouattara is less tested, but Bournemouth got him for 20mil and he also has a proven ability to play in multiple positions. 
Liverpool are using Gakpo as if Klopp confused him with Xavi Simons. 

I mean, Jorginho cost Arsenal 17. We got Sabitzer on loan, but since Bayern clearly don't see him in their team you'd have thought a good offer for a permanent deal would have tempted them. Neither are young, no, but you're in emergency straits right now. 

Also given they sold their other two best players for 20 mil (for Ouattara) and the promise of 20mil (Moffi), I reckon before those two went Lorient might have been open to offers for Le Fee. 40 mil? In the context of selling both the others for that combined, I think they'd have bitten your hands off. 

I didn't think it would be this bad, but I did think it was a problem. I did also say that Salah played you lot a bit, I think you signed Nunez in anticipation of him leaving and then he renewed. But even that speaks to poor planning and communication tbh. As does the fact that there weren't rotational forwards already in the squad and you had to launch Gakpo straight in when Diaz and that were injured, coz you let Minamino and Shaqiri go and never replaced either. 

It's just been a bunch of what individually are little things that have come together to cause a huge mess for you.

Pretty much this, altho Jorginho wouldn't really fit into the Liverpool system. Sabitzer on the other might have worked, and Bayern were open for a loan deal, so that would've been a signing that makes sense.

Talking about awful clubs and their supporters (no, not about the Geordies 1001 nights of torture tales).

Derby against Rostock.

I am fine with falres, I really am. What I am not fine with are firecrackers and idiots shooting pyrotechnics on the pitch or other fan sections.

Altho, my return from the stadium took somewhat longer, than I wanted.

Coppers placed them in subway cars, that were supposed to run straight from their station to the central station, where they could just bugger off back into their caves. Alas, those idiots figured it'd be a great idea to smash the freaking windows of their subway cars. Thus making sure the next subway station was locked down. After 20 minutes some robocop role play enthusiast (copper in riot gear) said, that the station would be locked down for another hour. Personally I think, they should have just tossed 1-2 tear gas grenades through those smashed windows. :dunno:

I ended up going to the central station to board another tube. Even there I had to take a minor detour, because the robocop brigade had to block one entrance to see those morons off on their train. Which doubled the time for my trip home overall.

Who the fuck is Hansa Rostock?! hey hey!

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

Ah, but the first three delivers on the football as well.

Antony is mainly shithousery.

Antony's biggest problem is the fee United paid for him. He's not worth anywhere near that and will probably never justify that fee. Had United ended up paying what he was actually worth (no more than half of what we did pay) then he would be fine. He's chipped in with some important goals, works hard, presses well and, tactically, he's been important when it comes to the team keeping its shape.

He needs to learn to use his right foot a lot more and save his funny tricks for the right time when it can actually cause some problems for the opposition rather than doing it in non-threatening areas and looking foolish.

people may disagree but I thought we won that in a very Mourinho manner. Had a bit of good fortune for our goals, spent a lot of time defending and shithousing. What changes from the José era is that it's funnier to do that with this squad than with the likes of Herrera, Smalling, etc.

this doesn't erase the relief of winning a trophy, but this makes harder to celebrate.

also, Saint-Maximin and Guimaraes are beasts. So, the best moment of the game was when Eddie took both of them off.

3 minutes ago, Daemon the Leaner said:

also, Saint-Maximin and Guimaraes are beasts. So, the best moment of the game was when Eddie took both of them off.

To be fair, the effectiveness of ASM went down to pretty much 0 after half time, when we brought AWB on. He's a good player but he almost never does anything before beating his nearest man 1-on-1 at least once, so Wan-Bissaka is the worst possible matchup for him. 

Guimaraes coming off was a little harder to understand, can only have been a fitness thing you'd think. 

i knew the toon were gonna be competitive this year.  figured we'd be bruising it out for a 8 to 10 place position. instead Europe is a possibility and we are in a cup final.  hard to be too upset. newcastle is only going to keep getting better.

on a local front Saturday was game one of mls (American top flight). was a joy to get to drink and sing w the boys in 3° c weather. and our coach is this guy named Wayne Rooney (apparently had some footballing experience overseas) and he made some great subs that helped deliver a win 2 down w goals in the 90th and 98th minute. i had forgot how much i love being in the stands. 

In different news, I'm impressed by Notts County, who manage to keep pace with Wrexham in the very low leagues. One point difference, Wrexham has a game in hand. So could be four.

The two of them are so far ahead that third place is closer to 15th than second. 

In 15th, incidentially, we find Oldham Athletic, who was one of the founding members of the PL.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

In other news.

Just Fontaine has died.

He has one of those records that will never be broken. 13 goals scored at a single World Cup (1958).

In 6 games, madness.  Makes Platini scoring 9 in 5 games at the 84 euros seem positively pedestrian.   Apparently he was only selected because of injuries to other players who would ordinarily have been ahead of him.  

6 hours ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

In different news, I'm impressed by Notts County, who manage to keep pace with Wrexham in the very low leagues. One point difference, Wrexham has a game in hand. So could be four.

The two of them are so far ahead that third place is closer to 15th than second. 

In 15th, incidentially, we find Oldham Athletic, who was one of the founding members of the PL.

I'm rooting hard for Wrexham. I hope they get the automatic promotion this year!

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'm rooting hard for Wrexham. I hope they get the automatic promotion this year!

Me too, but I shouldn't be, they have an insane advantage over the rest of their division. 

They play Notts County in April, that's going to be a full episode in the next season. 

Archived